+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Im on the fence about that...

Because seriously its disgusting on a still night in our old apartment our kitchen would cop the bulk of the smoke from downstairs.

And it was crap on a beautiful still warm night where downstairs would sit on their balcony and chain smoke we had to close all our windows.

... But.... Then... Short of banning them altogether where would people smoke.

Though the other day I bent down to grab something out of the pram as a smoker walked passed and some freaking ash went in my mouth!!!!

So sometimes I think smoking should just be banned anywhere anyone else could be effected because thats freaking gross.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (26-05-2012)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I don't think it should be banned.

I'm a non smoker and always have been , I've literally had one drag at 16 and yes I agree it's a really yuck smell but just think these days smokers are almost classed as second class citizens . They are literally looked at with contempt it almost seems .

I don't know what the answer is as I do understand that passive smoking can have serious health implications for some , my own son gets severe asthma and really needs to be protected from passive smoke , so I do really understand that point but on the other hand how far is it going to be taken regarding where smokers can smoke . The government sells them yet then there's bans everywhere???

And a PP stated something regarding pollutions everywhere in the air from cars etc , there's a point to this too I think .

I'll be honest I don't really know the answer as I agree smokers really do need to have the utmost consideration for others but on your own balcony just seems abit too far .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah it's a hard one, I am a non-smoker, I think it's revolting and feel I do have the right to sit on my balcony without inhaling the next door neighbours smoke (if I lived in a flat).

However, like others have said, where else can smokers smoke, if not on their own property? I shudder to think of children being forced to inhale their parent's smoke if they were forced to smoke inside. and the fire hazard.

Also cars produce heaps of air pollution as well, but the same measures are not taken to reduce car usage etc.

Anyway personally, I'd rather see smoking banned altogether and smokers given the support needed to quit, than further restriction placed on what people can do on their own property.
    Last edited by Annabella; 26-05-2012 at 21:53.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    First off yes I'm a smoker. I like to think I'm a considerate smoker, only ever really do it outside my own home. Would never do it inside due to DS.

I think that if you started to ban smoking in residential area's, even just apartment complexes it will end up being the beginning of complete segregation of every different personal choice. For example all the smokers will end up living in seperate places to non-smokers. I've seen threads in here before about "noisy" children complained about by other neighbours. So now you also have apartment buildings for those with children and those without? Also drinking is another one that's been bought up, so now drinkers and non-drinkers? Plus every different combination of those that do and don't. Oh and don't forget pets... it would go on and on over the years til one day some decendant of mine will be living in a suburb with only people who do the same things he does, who wakes up around the same time he does, etc, etc. Sounds like we're heading in the way of being far to close minded and living wrapped in our own little bubbles of what we believe. Except God forbid you discriminate against someone based on their sexuality or what country they come from... or their religion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny88 View Post
    First off yes I'm a smoker. I like to think I'm a considerate smoker, only ever really do it outside my own home. Would never do it inside due to DS.

I think that if you started to ban smoking in residential area's, even just apartment complexes it will end up being the beginning of complete segregation of every different personal choice. For example all the smokers will end up living in seperate places to non-smokers. I've seen threads in here before about "noisy" children complained about by other neighbours. So now you also have apartment buildings for those with children and those without? Also drinking is another one that's been bought up, so now drinkers and non-drinkers? Plus every different combination of those that do and don't. Oh and don't forget pets... it would go on and on over the years til one day some decendant of mine will be living in a suburb with only people who do the same things he does, who wakes up around the same time he does, etc, etc. Sounds like we're heading in the way of being far to close minded and living wrapped in our own little bubbles of what we believe. Except God forbid you discriminate against someone based on their sexuality or what country they come from... or their religion!
    Very interesting point.

I was reading that there are airline companies that are thinking of putting on some children free flights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    Honestly I don't think it will make all that difference. If someone really wants to smoke on their balcony then they will regardless if there is a rule/law against it.
    Yes I was thinking this actually, if I were a smoker and they brought in these rules I'd probably sit just inside the balcony door with it open, and blow the smoke outside anyway.