+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Smokers are smokers. That's their problem. It shouldn't be mine.
    (If only I'd come to that conclusion ages ago, I'd have about $30k in the bank that I wouldn't have wasted on ciggies! Lmao).
    Wonderful post! I think we ex-smokers are the worst. All that money wasted, it hurst just thinking about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Wow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can never understand why reformed smokers are so nasty. You were where I am not long ago, addicted or you wouldn't have kept smoking. Rather than having a self righteous 'I gave up thus I'm better than you' attitude maybe have some empathy.

Obviously some of the reformed smokers in this thread by their own admission are the selfish smokers people complain about. That doesn't mean we are all like that. Unless I was having drinks with any of you, (which is when I'm at my weakest) you wouldn't even know I smoked

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (26-05-2012),singlemumma82  (26-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I sit on my balcony at any time of the day or evening, I inhale cigarette smoke because the neighbours next door are chain smokers. It's disgusting. We have to avoid sitting on our own balcony.

A lot of the time we have to shut our back windows because the smoke blows through our house and stinks. I find it incredibly irritating that we are non-smokers, yet we are all subject to second-hand smoke in our own home (including our children).

I absolutely agree with the ban.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (26-05-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's funny because we had this same issue in our previous apartment. The neighbours weren't chain smokers but would light up occasionally... if we were on the balcony, we would be forced inside because the smell of cigarette smoke is so revolting that it ruined any nice moment we were having at the time. Such a shame.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I used to be a smoker. For many years. And one thing I hate with a passion (because I'm always fighting going back to it!) is dealing with other people's cigarette smoke. Yep. I'm one of THOSE. A reformed smoker. The very worst. I used to pollute everyone else's air, and now I demand clean air for myself.
    I'm not going to say that I tried to make non-smokers lives easier by keeping it away from them. I was young, stupid, and self-entitled.

Now I know better.

If anyone can give me one VALID reason as to why a smoker has more right to pollute the air than I have to breath clean air, I'll change my views in a heartbeat.

If I lived in a body corporate and was asked to vote on the subject, for me it would be a resounding 'no smoking' vote.
    It might sound preachy but that's just the way I feel. Smokers are smokers. That's their problem. It shouldn't be mine.
    (If only I'd come to that conclusion ages ago, I'd have about $30k in the bank that I wouldn't have wasted on ciggies! Lmao).
    I don't think smokers have or should have more rights to pollute the air. I would say they have exactly the same right to smoke as you have to breathe fresh air. Exactly the same. It may not be pleasant, it may be unhealthy, but it is legal and is their right. That's the problem, when two people have equal rights that can't co-exsist, what do you do about it? Take away someone's rights completely? I think a blanket no smoking rule is going way too far.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I never ever drove a car until I was 32 (my family didn't have one when I was growing up either), I used to think the exact same thing "Why do all these people in the world get to pollute the air and kill the planet and I still have to pay taxes to upkeep the roads etc". Sometimes things aren't fair - but as fearless leader says - it IS legal and while it is so then it is just something you are going to have to put up with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wow. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can never understand why reformed smokers are so nasty. You were where I am not long ago, addicted or you wouldn't have kept smoking. Rather than having a self righteous 'I gave up thus I'm better than you' attitude maybe have some empathy.

Obviously some of the reformed smokers in this thread by their own admission are the selfish smokers people complain about. That doesn't mean we are all like that. Unless I was having drinks with any of you, (which is when I'm at my weakest) you wouldn't even know I smoked
    I don't think that we ex-smokers
    are being nasty. I quit and it was hard, but I don't think I am better than you at all. I do hate smoking for what it did to me, but I'd never be nasty about it. I do remember what it is like to be controlled by addiction. It is horrible and maybe it makes me mad at myself, not others who are suffering in addiction.

You have every right to be a smoker on whatever level you want. If you decide to quit we will be your biggest cheerleaders .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Exactly! I would honestly love to quit smoking, but, I AM ADDICTED! To a legal product readily available in most shops!

Why isn't it banned full stop? Because the selfish government makes too much money off it!

I have been addicted to ice and marijuana and when I quit my doctor provided me with subsidised medications and counselling to help me with the cravings and withdrawals. Yet when I discuss quitting cigarettes I am told to start on over the counter products which for me cost more than a pack of smokes and doesn't help with the habits formed, such as a smoke after eating, when having a drink.

Why should people be given MORE support for quitting an ILLEGAL substance than they are for wanting to quit a LEGAL one? Cause the government makes no money off the illegal ones and plenty off the legal ones, deal with this issue first, THEN bam smoking everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I was directing that at Eko, Bethy I think it's fantastic when I hear people giving up. But some ex smokers seem to have a self righteous attitude that comes off pretty nasty and lacking in compassion, particularly when they smoked themselves... and that's a general comment not at you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was directing that at Eko, Bethy I think it's fantastic when I hear people giving up. But some ex smokers seem to have a self righteous attitude that comes off pretty nasty and lacking in compassion, particularly when they smoked themselves... and that's a general comment not at you.
    Ahhh Ok! I was terrible when i first quit as I tried to push most of my friends into quitting by being a pain in the ****. I did not convince one to quit. I soon realised that was futile. I really do hope that one day everyone will be an ex-smoker but that is a rainbow coloured pipe dream.