+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    Is this suppost to be funny. Sorry but i dont see it!
    To me it is an HONOUR to be asked to be part of a wedding. I hope that i will be a bridesmaid just once. How would YOU feel if YOU were the bride and the person you wanted next to you while you commited to another human being felt like this.

Sorry i may not be getting the point of this thread but MY GOD. I thnks its IMPORTANT you DONT be this womans bridesmaid!!! You clearly dont want to be so step up and say no...it would better for EVERYONE in the long run!!!

This is the most important day of this womans life...for god sakes SHES THE BRIDE!!!!!!
    You are right, it is MEANT to be an honour....but since weddings have become a full contact sport of who can be the biggest diva/b!tch, it kind of looses some of that honour and becomes horror. It seems many brides forget that they are having their best friend sister stand by them when they are making the step of marrying the person they want to spend their life with and instead treat it as they they are casting a photo shoot. I have heard demands such as...loose weight; grow your hair and loose weight; bleach your naturally dark brown hair blonde so we are all the same in the photos. Add to this the expense that some brides expect people to go to- tanning, hair, nails, makeup, dress, shoes, underwear, hens night (or sometimes even a weekend), a hens night gift, wedding gift, and occasionally the expense of accommodation before the wedding, and in BerylsMums case, the expense of an overseas trip, and the time away from her family, and other significant emotional tolls that she had to pay.

All too often the competition to have the best wedding makes people lose sight of the value of their relationships just for a wedding album. I think that it is time for people to remember that a wedding is just one day in their lives, granted a very important day, but life goes on after the wedding and it is a very long life without your best friend/sister having your back.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (26-05-2012),MARTTC  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree it's an honor that someone asks,.. But I can see where BerylsMum is coming from!!

Seriously, some people go crazy town when it comes to their wedding.

In saying that, I've seem some shocking bridesmaid behaviour too. At the end of the day, it's about the bride and her groom, it's not about what colour flatters the bridesmaid the best or whether her boyfriend of a month should be allowed to come to the wedding... Etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL.

Thanks to those that get my sense of humour.
    I totally understand that its not to everyones taste.

It is a go at my sisters wedding.
    Asked to fly to Thailand, dye my hair, lose 10kg, stay in the most pricey hotel, organise a hens for 20 women in a place I had never been, cover the costs of all this. Island hop to 3 places over a week. Pay for hair and makeup, a dress...

it cost me $10k!!!!
    and now, I apparently wrecked her day as I am not smiling in her pics! FFS!!

Also I am confused..
    Sick of brides not getting the support they need? They are getting married not having surgery or chemo.

I was bridesmaid at my besties and she was an awesome bride. I loved every minute..but she didnt expect the world.
    She let us pick our dress and colour from a choice of 6.
    She offered to pay for stuff...
    she was kind and nice and gracious and was quite mindful of the fact that it was her day and we were not responsible for the whole thing!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (26-05-2012),Liddybugs  (26-05-2012),LlamaMa  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    LOL.

Thanks to those that get my sense of humour.
    I totally understand that its not to everyones taste.

It is a go at my sisters wedding.
    Asked to fly to Thailand, dye my hair, lose 10kg, stay in the most pricey hotel, organise a hens for 20 women in a place I had never been, cover the costs of all this. Island hop to 3 places over a week. Pay for hair and makeup, a dress...

it cost me $10k!!!!
    and now, I apparently wrecked her day as I am not smiling in her pics! FFS!!

Also I am confused..
    Sick of brides not getting the support they need? They are getting married not having surgery or chemo.

I was bridesmaid at my besties and she was an awesome bride. I loved every minute..but she didnt expect the world.
    She let us pick our dress and colour from a choice of 6.
    She offered to pay for stuff...
    she was kind and nice and gracious and was quite mindful of the fact that it was her day and we were not responsible for the whole thing!
    Well now i understand!! . For my wedding is made sure my bridesmaid was happy with everything, i paid for everything and didnt EXPECT anything from her except a little help and to show up on time . I did however ask my dad to walk me down the isle (the BIGGEST honour IMO) and he refused.

I would NEVER ask anyone to pay from a dress for MY day nor would i ever expect anyone to loose weight .

Your right SOME brides are CRAZY!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lol, I do get where you are coming from. Your sister was a nightmare.

As to that in general though, you're a brides maid, what do you expect?
    I cringe when I see bridesmaids ignoring the bride, not fixing her hair or her train for photos, not getting the bride a plate of food (although most buffet weddings I've found the bridal table gets served even if the guests don't). Although I don't think your duties extend beyond the wedding day. The pre-wedding crap is just OTT often.

As for the dresses, pick a scheme WITH your bridesmaids, then let them pick their own dress in that colour. It looks so much better in photos. They can wear something that suits their build. It's just better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

jennibear  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one would make a friend wear this..
    464453_10150622444101531_673636530_9687425_1914665823_o.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    $10k!!!! Wowzers. I am just in shock that anyone could ask that of someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Haha I agree Beryl. I'm pretty lucky at the moment that I'm bridesmaid for a girl who generally is a diva but is now surprisingly relaxed about the wedding!

I hate the "my day" culture. I'm acuptually really put off weddings altogether tbh. You're right, nobody is dying...just displaying their love for one another publically..but apparantly this in turn means that they own the day and everybody else must bow down *cringe*

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    No one would make a friend wear this..
    Attachment 22661
    Ba ha ha!
    Thats sooo funny!
    Actually your original post was funnier than the bridesmaids movie x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    It just gets me upset when brides dont get the support they need!
    What support do they need exactly? If getting married is such a trial then why do it?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-05-2012),Liddybugs  (26-05-2012)