+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    I'm not challenging you at all...just curious..

Why would they use their hand if you were under a GA an they had access to the D&C machine thingy?
    To add to what Izzy's mum said...the uterus is big and floppy when a baby has just come out of it, and there's no way a little instrument used for a D&C would be able to get out all the retained placenta and membranes. It's really dangerous to leave any in there (can lead to infection) so they need to ensure they get it.

The uterus can fit a full term baby in it, so a hand up there is no problem at all (except that I'd rather be knocked out when they do it!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm new here, but I have been learning about secondary PPH, and it can be caused by many things, low iron/anaemia, retained products, a uterus that is floppy(or just won't stay contracted down) even just a blood clot that prevents drainage via the cervix, then it pools and again won't contract down, as well as infection. Hope that helps :-/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainJaneway For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ended up being readmitted 3 times, after having my son, with severe PPH. The first time they treated me for an infection. The second they did a d&c for retained product and a hysteroscopy to have a look which they couldn't find anything and the third they tried to seal the arteries through an angiogram which didn't work and ended up doing another d&c and then using a french balloon (basically inserting a balloon and packing it) They thought it was possibly due to abnormal blood vessels. Through all that I had two blood transfusions and my son was born prem so was also in hospital. We never really had a definate answer as to why our son was born so early and why I bleed so much. That was 2 years ago and I haven't had my period since. Last week I went in for another hysteroscopy as my gyno thought I could have Ashermans Syndrome due to having so much happen and he wanted to use a mirena to help the uterus to get back to normal. Turns out I have two uterine openings. . . . .which could possibly be the answer to our questions!! They aren't sure yet if it is two full uterus or just a partial wall. I have to go back in three months to discuss further options as it increases our chances of having another prem however it could also explain why they couldn't stop the bleeding. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. . . . . I am still trying to figure some things out myself!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to staceya For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (01-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staceya View Post
    I ended up being readmitted 3 times, after having my son, with severe PPH. The first time they treated me for an infection. The second they did a d&c for retained product and a hysteroscopy to have a look which they couldn't find anything and the third they tried to seal the arteries through an angiogram which didn't work and ended up doing another d&c and then using a french balloon (basically inserting a balloon and packing it) They thought it was possibly due to abnormal blood vessels. Through all that I had two blood transfusions and my son was born prem so was also in hospital. We never really had a definate answer as to why our son was born so early and why I bleed so much. That was 2 years ago and I haven't had my period since. Last week I went in for another hysteroscopy as my gyno thought I could have Ashermans Syndrome due to having so much happen and he wanted to use a mirena to help the uterus to get back to normal. Turns out I have two uterine openings. . . . .which could possibly be the answer to our questions!! They aren't sure yet if it is two full uterus or just a partial wall. I have to go back in three months to discuss further options as it increases our chances of having another prem however it could also explain why they couldn't stop the bleeding. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. . . . . I am still trying to figure some things out myself!!
    Wow what an experience for you! Do you know my DH was joking to me that he thought I had a "secret" compartment within my uterus that retained product!! Can i ask how they picked it up that you had possibly two?
    I am so disappointed in my OBs. I have now had two babies - first baby I had secondary bleeding for up to 3.5months - I had a DC and hysteroscopy. The OB said the camera malfunctioned for the hysteroscopy so there was no photographic evidence for me. The OB never said I had any retained product but the nurse did. One week later the bleeding stopped and I started to get well, after bleeding for so long it took me forever to recover.

My second baby I had secondary bleeding about 3 weeks post partum. I recognised the symptoms of the bleeding/infection early this time - I knew what to look for! I arranged with my OB (different OB) for a D&C and hysteroscopy to be done again as ultrasound found "fluid" in my uterus. The OB assured me this was normal yet I had the beginning of the symptoms as the first time so I knew something was not quite right. I had a DC and hysteroscopy - spoke with the OB over the phone for the results: he said there was nothing to worry about, no retained product but there was some debris in there. Seriously what is the difference? (my gp said no difference) So I questioned OB as to WHY this has happened twice to me? And got no answers.

I have ordered both records of the hysteroscopy to be sent to my GP.
    I am so frustrated that I couldnt get answers. And to be honest Ive been that sick that I feel like I spent the first few weeks in a sick daze. Me being sick and having a newborn takes its toll on our whole household and to be honest this is a deciding factor on whether we are going to have another baby. I would love to but am terrified of this happening again. I need to consider DH as well as my Mum that cared for me and the fact that we live remotely and 1000kms away from the nearest city/OB.

Sorry for the essay! Feels good to get off my chest, but am still concerned. Where do I go from here??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought I had secondary bleeding 4 weeks after DDs birth but it was just AF returning. Grrrrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was about 2.5 weeks postpartum when I felt a huge gush, filled several maternity pads in a couple of hours. Was very scary stuff being a first time mummy.
    Called this hospital, they got my OB to call me (was about 10pm) and he scheduled a D&C for the next day. Was a fairly standard 'retained product' result, but I was told this could have been affecting my ability to BF as well as making me feel lousy.
    I'm 34 weeks with number two and I hadn't really considered the possibility of it happening again this time... I guess we'll see.
    hope everything works out OK for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No advice really, just wanted to say i hope you start to feel better soon. The newborn phase can be hard enough without feeling so lousy on top of it
    Sounds like your gp is more onto it than the ob was! How are your iron and vit b levels?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (09-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    No advice really, just wanted to say i hope you start to feel better soon. The newborn phase can be hard enough without feeling so lousy on top of it
    Sounds like your gp is more onto it than the ob was! How are your iron and vit b levels?
    Yes I had a full blood count done at 36 weeks pregnant and also just before my DC and my iron levels are normal. I also took an iron supplement from about 36 weeks too. Not sure about my vitamin b though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's def not a nice feeling when you feel so low and crappy after just having bub!! I feel like I missed/forgot a lot of things because I was so tired etc It has definately made us question whether to go for #2 as it scared us both so much and while we don't live remotely we don't have family here to help out. I am now booked in for a couple of ultrasounds to try and get some more answers.
    They never picked up on it after I had my son, possibly because they couldn't see very well. But when things didn't go back to normal my doctor refered my to my Gyn who booked me in for the hysteroscopy. Apparantly he also very nearly missed it until another Dr in the theatre spotted it. She did say it was quite small so unless your looking you probably wouldn't notice.
    It is so hard trying to make the decision whether to go again when you can't get definate answers on what the outcome will be.
    I believe Vit B and Iron go hand in hand (correct me if I am wrong) but the vit B helps to absorb the iron??
    Anyway feel free to message me if you want to ask anything or even have a chat!! I hope you get the answers you are looking for xo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to staceya For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (11-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    They tell you. I had to go under general anaesthetic to have manual removal, good thing too because the doctor puts their WHOLE HAND up there to get it out and then feel around inside the uterus to make sure it's all gone. Like a D&C but using a hand.
    I had a manual removal of placenta with DD2 and they only gave me an epidural for it. I couldnt feel pain but I could feel them having a real good go to remove it.

Oh and to answer the origial question I also had minor secondary hemorage about 6 weeks after birth. It was probably caused by degenerating fibroid, manual removal of placenta and super, super heavy periods on top of it all. I ended up in the ER with severe bleeding, soaking maternity pads every 5-10 minutes, massive clotting like the size of a fist, and basically blood dripping onto the floor as I walked. Sorry TMI.
    For some very strange reason the Dr in the ER said it looks like a secondary hemmorage and sent me home with the advice to wait for U/S to call the next day (it was night time) or go to GP a few days from then cos he didnt know how to read ultrasounds himself.
    I went home but the next morning went to the next closest hospital 15 minutes further away after I started to black out while holding DD2 where I was given fantastic care. I saw a gyno in the ER, had a very in depth U/S, had bloods taken, and was given a prescription of tranexamic acid to try and stop the bleeding. I was already in the health system for other gyno issues so they sent copies of everything to them. I will never ever go back to the original hospital unless it gets its act together or if I really, truly have no choice.
    Oh and as for how it affected my body.. I became severly anaemic to the point of almost needing a transfusion.