+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning from breast to bottle... Help please

Hi,

Well that's it, I've had enough of breastfeeding, it is still painful and uncomfortable after 3 months, I just can't do it any longer.

I need some advice on how to go about weaning onto formula as I obviously need my supply to eventually dry up and I don't want to get mastitis.

My only concern about going to formula is the time factor of making up bottles and not having milk there ready like i I do with breastfeeding, so i also need advice on the most convenient way of preparing bottles for the middle of the night feeds. I read that you should only make up a bottle when you need it but if DD wakes up at 3am screaming for a feed it will take far too long to boil new water, measure it out etc

Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just stayed with my cousin whose baby is on formula and she had this little thingy with separate compartments and you measure out the exact amount of formula for a bottle. Then she would have boiled water in each bottle ready too. She always taught her baby to have room temp formula so she didn't need to warm it. As for weaning no real advice except to replace a feed at a time.. spread out each dropped feed over a few days and give the body time to adjust to the reduced demand.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I weaned DS we started by replacing daytime bottles. The night feeds were the last I got rid of just cos the boob was easier when I was half asleep.

I find that for night I have the bottle already constructed. I also ensure the water in my kettle is always pre boiled. So when it gets to empty I fill it and fully boil it. Then I use the kettle to heat the water to the correct temperature. It took a little while to figure it out but you just figure it out and flick it off when it's ready. I found it better than our ancient microwave, plus it didn't beep at me at 3am. I left cool boiled water in the fridge for when I went too hot.

Also if we're going out somewhere and I know his due in a couple of hours I put fully boiled water in a bottle, i put the bottle in a stubby holder of all things and this keeps the water really warm (god I sound like a bogan).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and if you have trouble getting bubs to take the bottle get someone else to give the feed. My DS at first refused to drink the formula when I gave it to I'm cos he could smell my milk and wanted it instead. So I would go to my bedroom whilst DF gave him a bottle just to make the transition easier while he got used to the different taste.

I hope I made sense and didn't ramble too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your feedback. I've been giving DD one bottle a day since last Wednesday and my boobs are getting used to doing away with one feed.

My concern now is that she's 3 months and it says to give them 180mls yet each time she only drinks 60mls from the bottle. She spits out the bottle and then won't take it again. Is this just because she's full after this amount? I'm just worried to drop another feed as I'm not sure that 60mls per feed is going to be enough for her.

Does anyone know what the minimum is she should be drinking at each feed? Will she slowly drink more as she gets used to more?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    CA - I weaned to bottle at 6 months and I just demand feed. I don't do scheduled "feeds", she just drinks however much she feels like, whenever she feels like. She has never drank a whole bottle as listed on the tin - I think as breast fed bubs, they probably aren't used to a huge heavy feed, iykwim?

Just an option to consider. I know it's hard, but try not to get too stressed about amounts and numbers, she knows what she needs and when she's full.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub