+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    As I said...I don't think hell is the way in which people INTERPRET to be. I don't read revelation to be literal for starters, I believe revelation and Daniel are the two most metaphoric books in the whole of the bible and they are NOT literal in any way shape or form. Therefore I have and always will base my belief on what the Holy Spirit puts on my heart and not through man's interpretation.
    I wasn't saying that you are wrong for what you believe....
    I was commenting on what makes me believe what I believe.
    Isn't that what this discussion is about?

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I'd forgotten how harsh those scriptures can be .. yowsers!!! One thing I do know for sure is my God has never once mentioned to me pits of hell or living in torture for all time. If God is all LOVE how can He possibly do anything but do act and speak of love?

I can't remember who wrote it (sorry I'm on my phone) but I agree if you rock up at the gates (btw I don't believe in those pearly gates either) and say Wow I didn't think you existed but hey you do and I'd love to get to know you, God will embrace that person and let them right on in. I'd be willing to wager ANYTHING on that ;-)
    Don't forget that a lot of what Christ said were to peeps who didn't understand the spiritual...moreover the apostles and prophets spoke in a way that would be easily understood and in line with a culture that was more palatable. Christ spoke a lot in parables...as spiritual things were unable to be discerned by those listening. When the Holy spirit was poured out and the Word was written on the heart of man there would have been an adjustment period of people going from what they've always known (physical cleansing of sin, ritual, physical hell etc etc to a spiritual one) and this transition was gradual over time. You see people like Paul and James SEEM to contradict a lot because they were having to adjust their language to suit their audience and what they understood at the time.

It's really awesome to read the new testament with the understanding that the church was being developed then and that people were going through an adjustment period and where the culture and religious beliefs really seem to clash with what Christ and the apostles were bringing...and to see Christ et el, trying to explain in a way that they could understand and so that they didn't think they were going against what they've always known to be 'right' in God's eyes all along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    I wasn't saying that you are wrong for what you believe....
    I was commenting on what makes me believe what I believe.
    Isn't that what this discussion is about?

mummy to gods gift to us
    Yes...yes it is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes...yes it is
    Ok phew!

Now I want to ask a question based on your beliefs.
    If god would just say come right in to people who have not lead a christian life, then whats the point of christians? I mean, why would anyone dedicate their life to God?

I mean I know if I had a *guaranteed* ticket I would have done a few things that I won't discuss here.
    But my faith holds me back, like a voice saying wwjd?

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firsttimemummy - So when you see Christ talk about 'burning up of weeds' etc and that likening to the day of the Lord or Kingdom of heaven, remember who he's talking to. He's talking to people who could not discern spiritual things so he HAD to use physical examples of what the kingdom of God was like. Later you'll see that the Holy Spirit is described as the Holy Ghost of fire...and that the Holy Spirit is what 'consumes'....so you can then go back and read Jesus' parables with a 'spiritual' twist. So all this 'burning of weeds' simply means that the Holy Spirit is what burns and cleanses the spirit of man (weeds). That's why later on 'judgement day' when everyone is burning in the pit,....I believe that the Holy spirit is what burns away and cleanses people - in the spiritual sense rather than physical. Our physical bodies are already dead...so no point buring up dead corpes...as Paul said this body is merely a 'tent' and is waiting to be redeemed along with our spirit. Wages of sin is death...that's why our body is dead/dying because of sin. Christ has paid that wage now and has died...so therefore our spirit has been 'quickened' (made alive) already and we wait till the trump of God then our bodies will also rise incorruptible and change into glorified bodies (not dead sinful ones) in a twinkling of an eye. (which happens to be my favourite scripture

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok phew!

Now I want to ask a question based on your beliefs.
    If god would just say come right in to people who have not lead a christian life, then whats the point of christians? I mean, why would anyone dedicate their life to God?

I mean I know if I had a *guaranteed* ticket I would have done a few things that I won't discuss here.
    But my faith holds me back, like a voice saying wwjd?

mummy to gods gift to us
    Not quite understanding your questions here. Quite happy to answer them BTW (I'm not that good at explaining things though but I'll try my best)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not quite understanding your questions here. Quite happy to answer them BTW (I'm not that good at explaining things though but I'll try my best)
    Sorry I just went back and realised it was another person! Firsttimemummy if you come back can you answer my question?

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think your post is rather contradictory. So you don't keep reminding or punishing a child when they've done something wrong, but you believe that god punishes those who've done the wrong thing by not believing in him to be condemned forever to the burning pits of hell?

My belief is that if the pearly gates are real, and you arrive there after you die and say "wow, I really didn't believe in you, but now I can see I was wrong!" that god would embrace you. If god is going to turn those people away, then that's not the kind of god I would like to believe in. There are loads of good people who don't believe in god, and quite a few not so nice ones who do!
    I'm not contradicting myself at all. God gives some people reminder after reminder, He is real, and if u choose to ignore that reminder, more fool you! He is giving you opportunities to know Him. At the end of the day, if you have chosen to ignore His invite then yes, you have an eternity in hell.
    God forgives us, IF we ask for forgiveness. If we don't, how can we receive it? Our punishments on earth are consequences to our actions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to angenrod For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No it wont happen.
    God has made it clear that no one will enter hell if they haven't had the chance to know Him.
    Eg. African tribes who have never even heard of Jesus, let alone read the word of God.
    But ppl who have had a chance and ignored it eg. An ashiest having a conversation with a christian and still not want to seek god will perish.
    See quote below

Romans 1:18-25 NLT

But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.
    Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.
    So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

It clearly says that these people will have NO EXCUSE when meeting their creator.

God is a forgiving and loving God, however he is a Judge and a Just Judge.

God doesn't want to send his children to Hell, but as alot of conversations I've had with atheists turn out, "I dont want to be with a god like that" well why would god want you to br with him?

mummy to gods gift to us
    You are absolutely right!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had always seen myself as a Christian (not the church every weekend kind though) however since having kids and seeing how the world works my faith has dwindled.
    I do believe in a higher spiritual being but as for heaven and hell I'm not so sure.
    Some people are put through hell on earth through no fault of their own, some people who preach the word of god do some horrid things, so I find it hard to understand why a god would allow this.
    My god does not want people fighting/killing/judging in his name and he will forgive people for not believing as long as they are good people. What he won't forgive is killing and hurting because some acts are just not forgivable even if u believe in god.