+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Wow really? I know at least 15 people who call themselves Christians and don't believe in the bible or the church. Blissed out said it perfectly but in my own words, If someone asks me what religion I practice I simply say I don't practice a religion. Religion is man made, my relationship with God and Jesus is real and tangible to me. A Christian to me is someone who believes in God and His son Jesus. That is me.
    Oh I do know someone who only believes in the new testament and disregards the old. I forgot about her!

Thanks for explaining!

Guest Guest
    Is that Agnostic? Believing in God and Jesus but not religious teachings? Like not following a religion or the bible?
    I understand that completely, a lot of Christians don't go to church every Sunday or follow what the bible says exactly. According to my mum I was living in sin with dh before we were married lol

A lot of people interpret the bible rather than take it literally, as an adult that questions I have no choice but to do that.
    I sin, we all do. But what I think the bible does is help see the wrong and to try and live a better life. Yes I've been jealous, but who wants to be a jealous person all the time? It can be soul destroying to envy which leads to unhappiness. If your jealous of someone and then looked in the mirror and hated what you saw because you wished you had what that person had, it wouldn't be good for your well being, it would make you unhappy and stop you from living your own potential. I think the bible is correct in what it says about these 'sins' not that you will go to actual hell for being jealous, but if I interpret it my way, being unhappy and envious throughout your life will make life a living hell in a way.

When I'm angry and fighting with someone it can make me feel drained, depressed, weak. Jesus taught us not to fight, to turn the other cheeck, he was so gentle he never fought back even at the crucifixion and he still had love to his last breath. That is a pure soul, that's what we should be working towards. If you come to the end of your life with no regrets, no hate or anger and love and forgive you will die in peace and your soul will be free.
    That's just how I see it, we're all different and everyone has their own path to follow Christianity the way they can, whether it means a strict bible following or incorporating it into parts if your life and taking only what you need. Gods work is done either way if it makes you a more peaceful, happier person.
    Last edited by Lily of the Nile; 27-05-2012 at 10:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    So what do you base your beliefs on?

I know there are definitely errors in some translations so we do a lot of checking back to see what the original words are. I find the NASB a really good translation. I've always trusted that as God's word he has protected the bible and I truly believe he inspired the people who wrote it. With all the intricacies, parallels and prohecies threaded throughout- I don't think mankind would be smart enough to make that stuff up!
    I believe the bible to a certain extent, if there's something I find questionable (or that contradicts as quite a bit of the bible does) then I pray and the Holy Ghost helps me to understand what I'm reading and whether it's true.

I believe in modern day revelation also. God didn't stop talking to people.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Being Agnostic means
    : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly: one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or thenonexistence of God or a god2
    : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
    from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angenrod View Post
    At the end of the day, it's a personal thing to each of us and we are all going to have different beliefs and opinions.

I truly believe God would love nothing more than for all his creations (humans) to know Him, Love Him, and believe that He sent His only son, to be the redeemer of all humans sins, as His son, was the only man, to have never sinned, thus being able to take in the worlds sin in his death.

I believe whether we believe in God or not, we are all judged. For those that believe, our sins are forgiven and we are judges on our good deeds and how we have responded to Gods call in our lives here on earth. God does prepare a room for us all whom believe in Him, and it's to my understanding that those rooms will each fit our judgement (I think they'll all be spectacular - my own thought here).

I think those who have chosen not to believe in God whilst on earth will be judged, sins and all.

While I believe all who believe in God, will be with Him in heaven, I also believe those who don't believe, will be thrown into the lake of fire, along with Satan, and I take this as an all living hell, like a continuance of torture for all days... For ever!!

I think the easiest way to look at God and understand judgement is to look at ourselves as parents or our parents as parents and know that when our children do the wrong thing, we judge them, and give them a punishment to show them and hope to teach them that whatever it is they have done was unacceptable. On the flip side, when our children achieve something or go out of there way for us, or show integrity, we compliment them,
    Pass a good judgement of them and praise them for their efforts. It works both ways. When our kids have done wrong and they have paid the price, we don't keep bringing it up to remind them, we don't keep punishing them over and over, we hope they have learnt from their mistake and move on. This is how I believe our father in heaven looks at us also.

Just my opinions and I do base a lot of my opinions on what the bible teaches me, going to bible studies regularly and attending church to help me grow in knowledge.

I don't think jus going to church makes you a Christian.

A Christian is someone who is a Christ followerer. A believer is someone who actively believes that Christ died so that their sins could be forgiven and that they could one say go to heaven to be with God and share in His glory.
    I think your post is rather contradictory. So you don't keep reminding or punishing a child when they've done something wrong, but you believe that god punishes those who've done the wrong thing by not believing in him to be condemned forever to the burning pits of hell?

My belief is that if the pearly gates are real, and you arrive there after you die and say "wow, I really didn't believe in you, but now I can see I was wrong!" that god would embrace you. If god is going to turn those people away, then that's not the kind of god I would like to believe in. There are loads of good people who don't believe in god, and quite a few not so nice ones who do!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-05-2012 at 10:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think your post is rather contradictory. So you don't keep reminding or punishing a child when they've done something wrong, but you believe that god punishes those who've done the wrong thing by not believing in him to be condemned forever to the burning pits of hell?

My belief is that if the pearly gates are real, and you arrive there after you die and say "wow, I really didn't believe in you, but now I can see I was wrong!" that god would embrace you. If god is going to turn those people away, then that's not the kind of god I would like to believe in. There are loads of good people who don't believe in god, and quite a few not so nice ones who do!
    No it wont happen.
    God has made it clear that no one will enter hell if they haven't had the chance to know Him.
    Eg. African tribes who have never even heard of Jesus, let alone read the word of God.
    But ppl who have had a chance and ignored it eg. An ashiest having a conversation with a christian and still not want to seek god will perish.
    See quote below

Romans 1:18-25 NLT

But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.
    Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.
    So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

It clearly says that these people will have NO EXCUSE when meeting their creator.

God is a forgiving and loving God, however he is a Judge and a Just Judge.

God doesn't want to send his children to Hell, but as alot of conversations I've had with atheists turn out, "I dont want to be with a god like that" well why would god want you to br with him?

mummy to gods gift to us

8. The Following User Says Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (27-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    It's abit confusing for me. I hear that all the time as well when someone says 'I don't want to be with a God like that' So if they did meet God (which I don't think people actually do tbh not while our souls are so imperfect only Jesus who was perfect sits beside God) but if they do, do they get the chance to change their minds? Or still blame him for all the evil in the world and not want to be judged by him?
    If not and they choose not to be where God dwells, then where do they go? All atheists believe there is no after life or souls. Because I do believe in souls and afterlife, to me that means God will not bring them into heaven and their souls will be destroyed. They won't go anywhere, it'll be the end as they wanted. I don't believe in pits of hell and fire either but having my soul destroyed by God is like hell? Going to an eternal grave?
    I like to think you will go where you believe you will, so if your not Christian but Muslim for example, you will go where you believe. If you don't believe in Christ, you won't be with Christ.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    so a few points

not all atheists want there to not be a god. Honestly, if I knew as a good person that there was a heaven waiting for me, that there is a point to being good, that would be great. I actually would love the notion that everything is not random as I believe it is - that praying would bring positive things to good people. It's not that I don't want there to be a god, I simply don't believe there is one. My logical mind says there isn't.

knomie - christians like any group aren't homogenous. They have different beliefs according to their sub religion for lack of a better word. I was raised and educated catholic, and the catholic and anglican churches no longer believe if fire and brimstone hell. They believe hell is a place where you can't see the face of god, that in itself is the punishment. Your views are fundamentalist christian, which is fine but telling everyone they are wrong in how they see god and hell isn't really far. That is your and your own churches interpretation.

As to why would god want you if you don't want him? that idea kind of reminds me of the schoolyard line I know you are but what am I? if there was a god, I suspect he would be beyond childish tit for tat and see if a person's heart and mind is good.

Now I'm thinking people are going to say, this is a christian thread not for atheists. But when people are making generalisations about atheists, making snide comments then a rebuttal has to be expected. If you want an atheist free thread then don't involve atheists.
    Last edited by delirium; 27-05-2012 at 12:37. Reason: typo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-05-2012),BlissedOut  (27-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    It's a Christian thread and we're simply discussing our individual beliefs. There is no right or wrong here and I don't think anyone wants to fiercely debate this. We're expressing our personal beliefs, not condemning people to hell which none of us can do.
    In discussing this, other faiths or non faiths will be mentioned, it's not an invitation for a debate to be told we're wrong. It's just a discussion about our personal beliefs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (27-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do believe in hell but I don't think it's what people interpret the bible of it being if that makes sense. I believe that hell=death and that death is the absence of LIFE (Christ). At the end I am beginning to think that all those who don't 'make it' (so to speak) will be given another chance and they WILL then be saved. I believe that they will be tormented until they do...not through fire and brimestone but through the sheer knowledge that they were wrong and that God really is real and that they can watch others live while they remain in death. This will be torment enough and it will probably feel like fire and brimestone to them. I believe that there will come a day when EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that he is Lord...and that ALL will be saved. When the last enemy (death) is destroyed.,..there will be no more death.,..only life and EVERYONE will live.

I believe FIRMLY that once saved always saved...and that God is the one who keeps us and He is the one who perserveres for us till the end. All those 'in' Christ will remain so and that this is His promise to His children.

I'm identify with calivinism more than any other 'brand' of christianity, still haven't decided if I'm 100% calvinist or not...nor do I even care.
    Last edited by Deserama; 27-05-2012 at 12:54.