+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes hell is real. It's in the bible, I will go and look a where it is as I can't pull off scriptures off the top if my head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hell occurs 54 times in 54 verses in the KJV

see them here:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/searc...ria=hell&t=KJV

Psa 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget God.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    It has come to my attention that many christians do not believe hell exists.
    Can you tell me why? What about judgement day?

If you believe it does exist, what is it that ultimately sends a person there?

I personally believe hell exists.
    I believe that being a believer is not enough to be saved. I believe that you must truly turn away from sin and pay true repentance.
    I believe our lord is a kind loving lord, however I believe he is a judge.

Without trying to stir as this is the only way I can compare, but I dont believe that being a good person is enough to enter the gates of heaven.
    It would be like putting a murderer next to a kind old lady and saying yep, you can both come in... if that makes sense??

Anyway, please share your thoughts.
    Just to be clear, this is a discussion for christians... not an argument to be had with non believers.

Thanks for keeping the nastiness out of this thread

mummy to gods gift to us
    I absolutely don't believe in hell or a judgement day. The notion of a judgement day makes no sense to me. I don't believe in the bible and I absolutely don't believe in Satan. I find it hard to believe that some still do. I believe that we are living hell on earth right now. You only need to take a look around to see it.

I believe that God does not judge. My God doesn't judge because He loves us exactly as He made us. He will accept us as we are because if God does not judge, then why would He need to forgive us? We ALL sin. Anyone who says they don't sin is lying so therefore a sinner. I believe that everyone who dies is remorseful on the other side. I know this because I speak with the dead regularly.

I've said before and I'll say it again, my God is a God that only knows love. He doesn't know anything else but that and that's the God that I want to follow.
    Last edited by FirstTimeMummy2012; 26-05-2012 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angenrod View Post
    hell occurs 54 times in 54 verses in the KJV

see them here:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/searc...ria=hell&t=KJV

Psa 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget God.
    The english "hell" is translated from The Hebrew she’ohl′ and its Greek equivalent hai′des - which simply mean the grave.

Hell is in some bible translations, translated from the word Gehenna (although in places the word Gehenna is used) In the first century, Gehenna was an actual place outside the walls if Jerusalem (The valley of Hinnom) where dead bodies of criminals and animals were dumped and brimstone or sulphar was added in to keep it burning ( Jesus used this place in illustrations as people then knew Gehenna)

Living humans were not thrown into Gehenna, It was not a place of conscious torment. It was a fitting symbol Jesus used to depict 'everlasting destruction'.

The confusion and misconception comes from all 3 words being translated as " hell" and not knowing their true meaning int Hebrew and Greek languages
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 26-05-2012 at 21:38. Reason: added quote

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (27-05-2012),Justwant2beamummy  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This site is good , it shows you several different bible translations in one go. Showing they all say the same thing, just use slightly different wording.

http://bible.cc/ecclesiastes/9-10.htm

This links to the scripture in Ecclesiastes 9:10 (KJV) - "Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go. "

You will notice other translations use the original Hebrew word 'sheol' where Grave is used in the KJV, as this is the meaning of sheol, and a few listed there render it 'hell'. All simply referring to the common grave.

Hope that helps explain it a bit better

Thanks
    Reviews
    I in a way believe in hell and heaven.
    But I believe being a good person is enough, I believe trying to be the best you can be is enough. No one follows the bible exactly. No one.
    The problem with organised religion is the fact that it tries to take away from human nature. Lust is not a sin, jealous is not evil it's part of who we are it's an emotional feeling that is triggered and can't be helped. Of course you can control to a certain degree your reaction to it but not the emotion itself.
    Can any person say they have never looked down on anyone? Never felt jealous, never said hurtful things, never thought bad things.
    If god wanted us to be the way it is described in the bible he would have created us that way. Instead he gave us a mind and control over our actions.
    The problem with organised religion is that we tend to "adjust" things to suit our own individual situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    If god wanted us to be the way it is described in the bible he would have created us that way. Instead he gave us a mind and control over our actions.
    True, he gave us free will. Free to be good or bad, free to serve him or not. He created us 'in his image' but at the moment we are not perfect, we sin. But in the beginning we were created perfect but have inherited sin and imperfection. So in the meantime the bible gives us the highest standard to work towards and look up to, in a world where standards are slipping further abd further away from Gods standards and Jesus left an example for us to follow as closely as we can But of course we all fall short. But willfully practicing gross sin and not being repentant or turning away from what is bad is a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    E
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    True, he gave us free will. Free to be good or bad, free to serve him or not. He created us 'in his image' but at the moment we are not perfect, we sin. But in the beginning we were created perfect but have inherited sin and imperfection. So in the meantime the bible gives us the highest standard to work towards and look up to, in a world where standards are slipping further abd further away from Gods standards and Jesus left an example for us to follow as closely as we can But of course we all fall short. But willfully practicing gross sin and not being repentant or turning away from what is bad is a different story.
    See I don't believe we are sinning, I don't believe we are all bad, I don't believe we should be afraid of every move and that every thought has a consequence.
    I believe god gave us life, a life to live... To enjoy, to love, to laugh and to make mistakes but most of all to look after each other.
    I can't bring myself to believe in a cruel god, in a god who watches my every move, who judges my every thought. That isn't my god.
    I believe whatever negativity we put into the world it will come back to us and what good we do comes to us also either here or in another life.
    Well that's my god anyway but then I don't believe the bible was given to us by god. I believe it was written by good men who wanted the best for humanity at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I in a way believe in hell and heaven.
    But I believe being a good person is enough, I believe trying to be the best you can be is enough. No one follows the bible exactly. No one.
    The problem with organised religion is the fact that it tries to take away from human nature. Lust is not a sin, jealous is not evil it's part of who we are it's an emotional feeling that is triggered and can't be helped. Of course you can control to a certain degree your reaction to it but not the emotion itself.
    Can any person say they have never looked down on anyone? Never felt jealous, never said hurtful things, never thought bad things.
    The problem with organised religion is that we tend to "adjust" things to suit our own individual situations.
    Well, it is possible, Jesus showed us that. If God had created us without choice we would be robotic followers. What satisfaction would there be in that? That wouldn't bring God joy, we'd only be following him because he didn't give us a choice.

No one but Jesus followed God's principals perfectly, but many many people try. Of course we slip up, every day! But that doesn't make it any less worthwhile to keep trying.

To be honest, if you're a Christian who believes in the bible and yet deny that thing things the bible says are sins (like lust and envy), are not sins, I'm a bit confused by that! To me, that is adjusting things to suit yourself. I mean that with all respect. I just don't understand.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (26-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    E

See I don't believe we are sinning, I don't believe we are all bad, I don't believe we should be afraid of every move and that every thought has a consequence.
    I believe god gave us life, a life to live... To enjoy, to love, to laugh and to make mistakes but most of all to look after each other.
    I can't bring myself to believe in a cruel god, in a god who watches my every move, who judges my every thought. That isn't my god.
    I believe whatever negativity we put into the world it will come back to us and what good we do comes to us also either here or in another life.
    Well that's my god anyway but then I don't believe the bible was given to us by god. I believe it was written by good men who wanted the best for humanity at the time.
    Ok, so that explains your view a bit better. So your beliefs are based on what you think and feel, not the bible.