+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    Can you share bible quotes about pergatory?

I have only read there is heaven or hell, no in between

mummy to gods gift to us
    TBH I just googled "purgatory biblical references" and there were some much better explanations there than I can give.

The word purgatory is not specifically mentioned in the Bible but there is reference to praying for the dead (which would defeat the purpose if you went straight up or down after you died IYKWIM).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    I believe in Hell. There has to be justice at the end of it all.
    There is justice, eternal death.

Romans 6:23 -" The wages sin pays is death"

Romans 6:7 - "For he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin."

Those scriptures do not teach that the wicked will be literally punished forever, but that eternal death is their punishment - the opposite of everlasting life, if they have been aqquited from their sin as the scriptures say, why would God then turn around and punish them forever? Death is the price they pay

The bible uses fire a number of times as a symbol of eternal destruction. It doesnt teach of a literal place of eternal torment. When something is burned in fire, nothing is left, nothing is salvageable. Its used as an illustration of the second death from which there is no resurrection.

The bible also says in a number of scriptures that death is a deep sleep where u are not conscious....Eccl. 9:5, 10: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all"

Ps. 146:4: “His spirit goes out (life force), he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.”

So in order for that to make any sense the eternal fire has to be symbolic.

That also makes sense of Revelation 20:14- "And death and Hades were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire"

- Obviously death and the grave cannot be literally burned so clearly showing they will be destroyed forever (as if burned up by fire)

Do you really think a God of love would burn people alive forever? He detested the Israelites when they threw their own children into fire to false Gods, he said it was something that would never come up into his heart (Jeremiah 32:35, Deuteronomy 12:29) What would you think of a parent who held his childs hand over a flame as punishment, even for a second?

I dont believe the bible teaches that all good people go to heaven either. In fact it says that good king David (who had Gods approval) didnt ascend to the heavens (Acts 2:34) and that no man had ascended to heaven before Christ died for us (John 3:13) and many good faithful men and women lived before christ came to earth.

The bible says that eventually the "meek will posses the earth and live forever on it" (Psalms 37:9,11,29, Matthew 5:5, 2 Peter 3:13) and thats Gods kingdom is a government (kingdom means 'government' or 'rulership') that will rule over the earth and remove all human rulership which time has shown to be a failure (Daniel 2:44). A select few will " Rule as kings and priests with christ" in heaven to help form this 'government'(Revelation 20:6) but 'a great crowd" will live on a cleansed paradise earth free from all the problems we now face (Gods original purpose) and until the resurrection that the dead are simply sleeping and in Gods memory
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 26-05-2012 at 00:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    I believe in Hell. There has to be justice at the end of it all.

I believe that you have to consciously choose to do the wrong thing and not be sorry for it in order to get there.

If non-Christian people do their best, despite not having faith or opportunity to learn about God, I believe only God himself can judge their hearts and thus whether they go to Heaven.

Of course, being Catholic, we believe in Purgatory, too - if you've got the odd smear on your soul and aren't sinless enough to go straight to Heaven, you spend a bit of time working it off there before you move on.
    ^^This exactly! ...must be the catholic in me shining through in agreement.

I strongly believe that you don't necessarily have to be a believer in christianity to go to heaven, especially in the case of people who have had no exposure to it at all...our forgiving God will take accept them through the pearly gates I'm sure if they have been good people.

I feel some of us do our Purgatory here on earth before we die...
    All bibles don't have those references about praying for the dead, as the catholic bible does... Books such as Maccabees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didn't the Catholic Church get rid of Hell?

I do not believe in fire and the typical images of hell. I think it is different to each individual soul just as I think heaven is different to each person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't have any idea if it does or doesn't exist but i remember someone saying that when you die you experience first hand all the bad you committed in earth so in that way, it is like hell. For example, if you were a murderer, you would suffer alot more because you would have to feel the pain of those that suffered at your hands. Just a thought...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe in hell. Hell is a place where there is no longer any access to God and the people who go there want to be there because they don't want to be with God. There's no point getting into heaven if u don't love God because that's the place for being with God and worshipping him. Yes there is judgement and it will be fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Didn't the Catholic Church get rid of Hell?

I do not believe in fire and the typical images of hell. I think it is different to each individual soul just as I think heaven is different to each person.
    I don't think the catholic church got "rid of hell"....
    "...save us from the fires of hell" is part of a prayer we say when reciting the rosary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    There is justice, eternal death.

Romans 6:23 -" The wages sin pays is death"

Romans 6:7 - "For he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin."

Those scriptures do not teach that the wicked will be literally punished forever, but that eternal death is their punishment - the opposite of everlasting life, if they have been aqquited from their sin as the scriptures say, why would God then turn around and punish them forever? Death is the price they pay

The bible uses fire a number of times as a symbol of eternal destruction. It doesnt teach of a literal place of eternal torment. When something is burned in fire, nothing is left, nothing is salvageable. Its used as an illustration of the second death from which there is no resurrection.

The bible also says in a number of scriptures that death is a deep sleep where u are not conscious....Eccl. 9:5, 10: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all"

Ps. 146:4: “His spirit goes out (life force), he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.”

So in order for that to make any sense the eternal fire has to be symbolic.

That also makes sense of Revelation 20:14- "And death and Hades were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire"

- Obviously death and the grave cannot be literally burned so clearly showing they will be destroyed forever (as if burned up by fire)

Do you really think a God of love would burn people alive forever? He detested the Israelites when they threw their own children into fire to false Gods, he said it was something that would never come up into his heart (Jeremiah 32:35, Deuteronomy 12:29) What would you think of a parent who held his childs hand over a flame as punishment, even for a second?

I dont believe the bible teaches that all good people go to heaven either. In fact it says that good king David (who had Gods approval) didnt ascend to the heavens (Acts 2:34) and that no man had ascended to heaven before Christ died for us (John 3:13) and many good faithful men and women lived before christ came to earth.

The bible says that eventually the "meek will posses the earth and live forever on it" (Psalms 37:9,11,29, Matthew 5:5, 2 Peter 3:13) and thats Gods kingdom is a government (kingdom means 'government' or 'rulership') that will rule over the earth and remove all human rulership which time has shown to be a failure (Daniel 2:44). A select few will " Rule as kings and priests with christ" in heaven to help form this 'government'(Revelation 20:6) but 'a great crowd" will live on a cleansed paradise earth free from all the problems we now face (Gods original purpose) and until the resurrection that the dead are simply sleeping and in Gods memory
    Great explaination

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, I don't. Well not the concept of hell traditionally presented.

I believe in a state of pain, guilt and anguish where people can progress from through repentance.

I believe in perdition for the truly evil, those who don't progress from the state I previously mentioned. I have that much faith in man that I can't imagine it applying to anyone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (26-05-2012),MinkyJ  (26-05-2012)