+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Aha yes but it's not kissing and touching while praying. We don't pray to these things gwim?
    Well that's strange.

I have one greek friend and one orthodox friend and alot of catholics in my family and they all do it!

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I'm Lebanese too.

I'm from New Zealand though, so if you were Lebanese and Maronite, you were my cousin. We're a rare breed there.

My family are from Sebhel.
    Wow! Australia is full of them! Well I know sydney is!

mummy to gods gift to us

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    Well that's strange.

I have one greek friend and one orthodox friend and alot of catholics in my family and they all do it!

mummy to gods gift to us
    My mil for example is catholic, prays every morning while holding her rosary beads and will occasionally kiss it while praying. What I mean to say is she's not praying TO the rosary beads. No one prays to these objects, then that's like thinking God is in an object and he isn't which is what I think you mean and what I'm trying to say.
    Greek orthodox have icons in the church, you kiss them while doing your cross and light a candle at each station BEFORE you enter the church. They have them in their homes too. If you see someone holding an icon while praying, perhaps it's to help them connect but they're not actually praying TO it.
    You can only pray to God Jesus because hes my path to God and yes I do pray to mother Mary a lot. She sits beside God and Jesus and helps alot of people.
    In Greek orthodox, they believe Jesus is God. I think that's a major difference with Catholics yeah?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Our Catholic churches are adorned by beautiful statues that some people kiss. I think Lily summed it up well and for me all these lead to Jesus and God. That verse to me is more about actual worship of things like gold calves as shown in pictoral bibles that have nothing to do with God - and in modern society I think it refers to things like money... that people put so much emphasis on but is worth nothing when one dies.

We also have pictures of the stations of the cross around the church that we kneel before but that doesn't mean we are worshipping a painting/sculpture.

The sign of the cross has a lot of meaning to me and is a physical reminder of Jesus' suffering on the cross and the Trinity.

I pray to Mary to INTERCEDE for me. So I pray through Our blessed Mother to God. I don't pray often through the saints... but do at times... For me they are all avenues to God so I don't see anything wrong in it....

mrsd - I've been to Lourdes and it's one of the most spiritually uplifting experiences of my life
    Im just curious... why do you pray to Mary when you can pray direct to Jesus?? He says he is the way to the father

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    I'm a fan of the old saying, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

There's a big difference between telling someone their actions are wrong and telling them that you don't like them. I know that our first urge is to get all defensive when we're told we're doing something wrong, but there are heaps of bible texts about the "righteous man" whose neighbours don't like him cos he does the right thing himself and is brave enough to stand up and tell them if he thinks they're in the wrong etc. Some scholars think that applies specifically to Jesus, who is our perfect model in life!

I think we have a duty to say what we think Jesus wanted - we are his voice on earth.

And, incidentally, he was very clear about marriage being between a man and a woman for life to the exclusion of all others! Yes, it sounds offensive if we're single and dtd or in a gay relationship or remarried divorcees, but while I think they're sins, I have heaps of friends and acquaintances in those "categories" who I like and respect very much.

Some of them think I'm sinful to put so much pressure on the environment by having a large family! In the end, only God will know peoples hearts and souls and make the final call.

I definitely pray to Mary and other "saints" (Catholics believe that means everyone who makes it to heaven, not just the spectacular ones), just as I often pause and chat to the photo of my deceased in-laws in the foyer. I'm sure they can still hear me, wherever they are. It comes back to the purgatory thing, too, I guess.

Knomie, have you ever heard of Fatima or Medugorje (hope I spelt it correctly). Mary has supposedly appeared to people many times since the time of the early Church, and those 2 places were within the memory of those still living (she still appears to a lady at Medugorje), bringing messages about our need for peace. Very interesting.

BTW, we don't worship her, its more a Wedding at Cana thing - please ask your son / pray for us ...
    Yes, I think you are misunderstanding me.
    Just because I dont pray to Mary, it doesn't mean that I dont respect, honour and love her. She is Jesus mother, of course I respect her!

I believe all the sitings of Mary. I believe that these are true.

But at the same time I read into things alot and wonder about the devils deception and wonder if these appearances could be those of a false prophet? Do you get what I mean?

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you care for a bit of light reading on my point of view, check out this site

http://users.stargate.net/~ejt/Idolatry3.htm

Id just like to say that it is possible to have a discussion on our beliefs without it turning into a fight! Yay look at us! Over 100 posts and still going!

mummy to gods gift to us

7. The Following User Says Thank You to knomie For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (28-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mil for example is catholic, prays every morning while holding her rosary beads and will occasionally kiss it while praying. What I mean to say is she's not praying TO the rosary beads. No one prays to these objects, then that's like thinking God is in an object and he isn't which is what I think you mean and what I'm trying to say.
    Greek orthodox have icons in the church, you kiss them while doing your cross and light a candle at each station BEFORE you enter the church. They have them in their homes too. If you see someone holding an icon while praying, perhaps it's to help them connect but they're not actually praying TO it.
    You can only pray to God Jesus because hes my path to God and yes I do pray to mother Mary a lot. She sits beside God and Jesus and helps alot of people.
    In Greek orthodox, they believe Jesus is God. I think that's a major difference with Catholics yeah?
    I thought only jehovas witness believe that Jesus and God are separate entities.

So do you believe that God and Jesus are different?

I believe that Jesus is God and also thats what the catholic were teaching in high school as well as my families (catholic) belief.

Im not quite sure what I would call myself, perhaps a born again christian?

My church is a christian church, we dont have any customs as in, candles and holy water etc. We dont do christenings as we dont believe that baptising a baby will keep them from hell right through to old age. (Although I baptised my baby maronite to keep the in laws happy which I was happy to do)
    We do dedications on our children. It is more for the parents, before god dedicating our lives to bring our children up in Gods way.

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I believe idolatory is a matter/state of the heart. We are not under 'rules' but under grace and love

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (28-05-2012)

Guest Guest
    I'm trying to think of the differences as I know there are many (my dh is catholic and we baptised the kids catholic so it's imptortant I know this stuff!)
    I've read this before and it's really good if you're interested. It explains how both churches view all the things we've been discussing, hell, devil, sins, mother mary and icons.
    http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/ortho_cath.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying to think of the differences as I know there are many (my dh is catholic and we baptised the kids catholic so it's imptortant I know this stuff!)
    I've read this before and it's really good if you're interested. It explains how both churches view all the things we've been discussing, hell, devil, sins, mother mary and icons.
    http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/ortho_cath.html
    Cool ill read it now

mummy to gods gift to us