+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've had to provide a copy of DS's birth cert for both schools he's been enrolled at so there wouldn't have been any way to lie about his age.

I would assume everywhere would be much the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Do they have more than one intake a year? How does it work in SA?

My daughter is a May baby. Cut off here is 31st July, but I'm not sending her until she's 5.5.

Your daughter will make new friends.

The national curriculum starts in 2014, so I think it's better to wait until then anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

share a book  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Since SA is doing this change to keep in the same way as the rest of Australia, then I guess we will haveto start showing birth certificates at enrollment now too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do they have more than one intake a year? How does it work in SA?

My daughter is a May baby. Cut off here is 31st July, but I'm not sending her until she's 5.5.

Your daughter will make new friends.

The national curriculum starts in 2014, so I think it's better to wait until then anyway.
    Some of our high schools have already brought that in, but most of our kids in Year 8 are still only 12 and are learning about things they are not yet ready for. Our first lot of Preppies are only Year 5 so until it feeds through to high school lots will be a year younger than NC intends for that year level. That's why I wouldn't fight it. Try not to focus on now so much as when she hits Year 9 and 10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't.

(Interesting double standard since I just posted in the thread saying that I wouldn't have any qualms about misrepresenting address, but this does seem a very different matter to me.)

Schools ask for birth certificates, so that should prove the birthdate and thus you cannot lie about the birthdate. However, some are more diligent with others and it can be possible to have it slip under the radar with a school that is more lax. (Once you are in one school, you can transfer to another [in the same state] without a birth certificate, because the second school will accept the first school's enrollment as proof instead.)

My DD4 only recently (at 11yo) had her birth registered, and had successfully enrolled into pre-school and primary school without one. However, I did tell the truth about her age and DoB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't. Because I feel 100% that most kids in aus are starting school too early at not even 5.
    If she is advanced then great, she will be way ahead when she starts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I've had to provide a copy of DS's birth cert for both schools he's been enrolled at so there wouldn't have been any way to lie about his age.

I would assume everywhere would be much the same?
    Whilst they always ask for a birth certificate, some dont push the issue and you can slip under the radar. DD4 didn't have a birth certificate (paperwork had gotten lost with BDM and I hadn't gotten around to chasing it up) and managed to slip under the radar. I kept getting asked to bring it in, then after a couple of months it was forgotten. When we changed schools, the new school didn't need one because the enrollment at the prior school was proof enough.

She was even able to open a bank account via school banking without a birth certificate - the school verified her identity to the bank, and I only had to provide my drivers licence as ID for her parent.

Preschool was a little more thorough, but they accepted the birth registration form - the one that you send to BDM to register the birth.

=======================

But the biggest reason not to do so would be your child. Surely your child knows and is proud of their birthday. That is not something you can suddenly change on them without repercussions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    always had to show birth certificates and passport, as Ds 1 was born overseas and we also had to show his citizenship by descent certificate.

Unless you have your heart set at a certain school, you could try and go to a few different schools and see if they'd take your DD a year earlier, some do.

Ds 1 was born 5 weeks after the cut off and was more than ready to go earlier but there was no chance. Instead we just had a great time at home and did lots of excursions and all.

I do think for some, not all, it's a blessing to be just a bit older and more mature when starting school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I wouldn't. Because I feel 100% that most kids in aus are starting school too early at not even 5.
    If she is advanced then great, she will be way ahead when she starts.
    Yes our children start formal learning much younger than other countries, but are not more advanced because of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ds2 will 4 at the start of prep. Way too young in opinion.