+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Is Nursing family friendly?

So as the title says is nursing a family friendly career to persue? Is it possible to only work shifts with hours that are compatible with having children?

I'm interested in all aspects of nursing... anything from say aged care through to being an RN and everything in between. Are there certain jobs that are more family friendly then others?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a rn and basically if you want to peruse hospital nursing it's a pain in the ****. There are three shifts
    7am to 3.30

1 pm till 9.30 pm

9.30 pm till 7 30 am.

Sometimes some wards will give you family friendly hours and then people just ***** behind your back,it's really hard . Unless you want to work for a gp or a clinic somewhere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (25-05-2012)

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a second year student RN and our prac hours suck. At the end of the day it's a shift work based job and it's something you have to absolutely love to do. I'm either leaving home at 5:45am or leaving at lunchtime but not getting home until close to midnight.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    That doesn't sound very promising at all. I'm a single mum so can't be very flexible with hours as childcare hours are obviously very limited.

I thought there may been family friendly hours out there. There is usually a fairly high demand for nurses, isn't there?

What about temp agencies? Or would you have to be very experienced before you could do that type of work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you go casual at an agency the usual hours are 7 am till 1 pm or 3 pm till 9.30 pm. You don't have to be super experienced but sometimes you have together flexible about where you are sent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If you go casual at an agency the usual hours are 7 am till 1 pm or 3 pm till 9.30 pm. You don't have to be super experienced but sometimes you have together flexible about where you are sent.
    That actually sounds really good. I guess i could pull those sort of hours off once the kids are both in school.
    What about for enrolled nurses though? Would that be the same?
    I've been looking into doing the diploma through TAFE although apparently its really hard to get into. They only offer 20 spots and have hundreds of applicants.
    Would it be easier to go directly to uni and become an RN? I'm not sure i'm university material though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    im subscribing great topic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow where do you live? I'm in Perth and the situation is nowhere near as desperate as that. Rn training is a lot harder,it's three years as opposed to en training which is only 18 months..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would personally say do the RN degree.
    It gives you better options for work. EN training, you will essentially be doing VERY similar work for less money (although less accountability).
    Generally hospital work is same work hours, whether you are permanent staff or working from an agency, RN or EN.

RN family friendly work places, once you get a little experience, would be GP practices, outpatient clinics in the hospital, can sometimes give family friendly hours, and are usually Monday to Friday "work hours". Work in a blood taking place eg IMVS or Clinpath in south Australia. Working in an ivf clinic is usually ok hours too.

If you go this road, I would also suggest looking into getting into day surgery recovery or prep etc. generally good hours, and is a big growing section of the industry. More and more operations are being done as day surgery, and lots of nurses with experience will be required.
    Last edited by moongazer; 25-05-2012 at 20:47.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you chose to go casual, there is also the possibility of being in a casual pool at a hospital, rather than an agency. That way you are employed by one place, but still casual. You know you won't be driving to the ends of the earth for a shift.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post: