+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lied about address to get into a school?

As the title says, has anyone lied about your address to get your child into a certain school?
    What did you have to do to this, ID wise?

There is a good chance we may have to do this for DD in a few years.
    We are moving to a new region in a couple of months and the town we love, we just can't afford to buy in, so will do the next best thing and buy in the next town over (10 mins away)
    But this means that DD can't attend the primary school in the town we love and it has a great rep. DH has family who live here and could use their address for mail.

The town we'll be living in however, has a horrible rep for schools.

So has anyone done this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't done it but I can imagine it wouldn't be hard.
    Just say you live at your mums for example get a license or a few bills sent there and then you just "move" a few months later.
    Once your DD is in the school I don't think they can kick her out so you would only need to keep this going for a few months.
    Or can she be put on a waiting list for the school like now.
    That way you might not have to lie. If she gets in its all good if not then you "suddenly" had to move in with your mum and they have to take her.

Im sure people will not agree with all this but blame the government for providing crappy schools and not the parents who want a decent education for their kids.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (25-05-2012),sweetseven  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I haven't done it but would if it ment your child can go to a better school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have not but many friends have!
    The schools need some kind of proof you live in their area

1) rates notice
    2) residential lease or
    3) stat dec signed by a JP saying you live there

A lot used addresses of friends/family in that area and had them sign leases , we have actually had people rent units/houses of us for 6 months ( or broken the lease after a week ) just to prove address so they could get the kids in ! Pp was right that once your in you tell them you had to move , they won't kick you out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I haven't done it but I can imagine it wouldn't be hard.
    Just say you live at your mums for example get a license or a few bills sent there and then you just "move" a few months later.
    Once your DD is in the school I don't think they can kick her out so you would only need to keep this going for a few months.
    Or can she be put on a waiting list for the school like now.
    That way you might not have to lie. If she gets in its all good if not then you "suddenly" had to move in with your mum and they have to take her.

Im sure people will not agree with all this but blame the government for providing crappy schools and not the parents who want a decent education for their kids.
    That's what I thought. It's a public school, so shouldn't be too much drama. But was thinking, is just changing your licence address enough? Cause that would be the easiest to change without any hassle.
    Or do primary schools want a whole lot of id on enrollment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can't just change your license, you will need a stat dec signed from a JP as well, the schools in our area ate quite pedantic about checking as a lot of outer area kids try to get in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would expect they'll ask for utilities bills if they suspect you are cheating.

Getting mobile phone bills sent to that address might be enough.

If the family has the same surname as your DH and are willing to provide an electricity bill, then that would likely be accepted.

I have never done so, but wouldn't hesitate to if I were in a position where I felt it necessary. I disagree with school catchment limitations, and if you are willing to travel dont think your child should be denied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    You can't just change your license, you will need a stat dec signed from a JP as well
    Most times I've simply rung up the Dept of Transport and quoted my new address and they've happily updated my record and posted me a sticker to afix to the back of my licence.

Once I gave a phone number that didn't match (because I hadn't updated the phone number since the previous move), and they put a restriction requiring me to come in and show ID (centrelink card and an electricity bill was sufficient) with proof of residence before they changed it.

So, in most cases, in Qld at least, changing the address on your licence requires only a simple phone call. Even when I was flagged as suspicious, some ID and a utilities bill was all the proof they required. I was never asked for a stat dec.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I have not but many friends have!
    The schools need some kind of proof you live in their area

1) rates notice
    2) residential lease or
    3) stat dec signed by a JP saying you live there

A lot used addresses of friends/family in that area and had them sign leases , we have actually had people rent units/houses of us for 6 months ( or broken the lease after a week ) just to prove address so they could get the kids in ! Pp was right that once your in you tell them you had to move , they won't kick you out
    Oh I was hoping no one would say that! Damn.
    My DH's family has a different surname so can't just "borrow" their rates notice. And a school would prob think its odd that you brought in a stat dec rather than a lease or a rates notice....
    I think this is gonna take a lot more investigating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I have no friends or family or any other way of doing that so dd is in a private school instead.