View Poll Results: are you willing to become an organ donor?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

31 86.11%
  • NO

5 13.89%
  • Kidneys

13 36.11%
  • Pancreas

13 36.11%
  • Heart & Lungs

13 36.11%
  • Eye Cornea

12 33.33%
  • Skin

12 33.33%
  • Liver

13 36.11%
  • Bone

11 30.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I joined the national organ donor registry via the medicare form. We dont get the option on our licence forms in WA anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What happened Ana? If u dont mind me asking?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a yes, except my heart is no good. I'm O- blood type too which is good. We had to consider this recently but luckily the incident did not mean death. Everyone in the family is the same and after the recent incident I am confident none of them will stand in the way.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Puppyguts, it is absolutely brutal, to be frank. He had already been cut to pieces before I did the formal identification. For me, the worst part was not when I could finally touch him and discovered I was touching parts where they had taken large chunks of skin, the worst part was the letter they sent detailing where they put all the parts of him they had taken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Puppyguts, it is absolutely brutal, to be frank. He had already been cut to pieces before I did the formal identification. For me, the worst part was not when I could finally touch him and discovered I was touching parts where they had taken large chunks of skin, the worst part was the letter they sent detailing where they put all the parts of him they had taken.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    umm im in 2 minds and similar to ana gram not quite comfortable with it atm.

i was registered on ym license when I was 18, but the new license doesn't have the option and I haven't actually been able to bring myself to officially register.

In theory I am all for it, but we lost a friend last yr and it was an experience. She was brain dead but being kept alive by machines, from what we were told they do not actually let the heart stop beating before harvesting organs although they do slow things down.

I think there was a time period of around 45min in which all organs have ot be removed from a body with no heart beat so it is kinda of a very wierd situation.

My friend was registered and an avid believer so I think it is good her family carried out her wishes, but the actual process i dunno - its very hard to comprehend.

She is there on the machine gone but not gone, you say goodbye and they take her to theatre. Slow down her heart and begin the procedure - its kinda a really blurry line about when she is dead IYKWIM.

But having said all that, she helpt 9ppl including 4 lifesaving procedures wich is pretty amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. DH is also yes, mum is yes (except her eyes, not that anyone would want them anyways, she's got the worst eyesight ever) and if my worst nightmare came true then I would consent for DS (in theory - I'm pretty confident though that in reality I may not be so agreeable).

Why? Because I have no need for my organs and would rather they could save someone's life than rot or be burned. I have a good friend whose DH is alive because of an organ transplant. And I know of a 24 year old girl whose life for the last 8 years has been hell. She had a liver transplant 4 years ago and now her kidneys are failing. She's on dialysis every day until she gets a kidney transplant. She's high spirited, funny as hell and has such a good heart. I hate that she has to go through this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tick yes. And have told DP that he WILL sign over my organs if I die and they can be donated. He feels a bit squeemish at the thought of organ donation, so doesn't really like to talk about it. But I know he'll do it. He also knows I'm signing his over, whether he likes it or not.

There are too many people slowly dying waiting for organs.
    Last edited by Starlite; 25-05-2012 at 21:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently discussed this with DD3 (13yo).

I'm happy to donate everything, with first preference to be going to another person, but if not suitable then to science.

DD3 is happy to donate everything to a living recipient but not to science.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm happy for all of my harvestable parts to be taken. So long as I am buried at the end of it all, I don't care.