+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I'm after some POSITIVE stories of Mirena IUD please :)

So as the title suggests I'm after some positive stories

I'm having one fitted during a laparoscopy for suspected endometriosis in a few months.
    I don't really have any other option when it comes to contraceptives.. I have tried so many over the past 7 years with horrible side effect usually resulting in non stop heavy bleeding.

My gyne is pretty sure I have endo and recommended the Mirena.

I do not want any more children for a long long time.

So any way after looking around about the Mirena and hearing all these horror stories i'm freaking out!!

I'm worried about pain an non stop bleeding for a year or so like some have said.

I'm also Petrified of gaining any weight! I have just lost 32kgs and still have another 10kgs to go... I don't mind gaining 5kgs or so but I have read some women gain 20+ kgs

I really don't feel like I have any other options with BC because If I do end up have endo I will need something to keep it under control, my symptoms are to painful to just not be on anything..

I know every women is different and there is no guarantee this will be the best method of BC for me..
    But I'm working my self into a tizzy over it..

There has to be Someone out there that likes it??

Anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    well i have a kinda positive story. none of the syptoms you've explained. i had non stop heavy bleeding when i tried all different sorts of pills so after a scary ectopic pregnancy earlier this year my gyno wanted me to get a mirena i was so scared but getting it put in wasn't that bad. it did slip 2 weeks later and i had to get it removed but had another put in a week later and its been fine. i can feel it when i go to the toilet because it did move again but i was told that is really uncommon and i must just have a weird shape uterus.

I have had lighter periods with a little bit of cramping but i have only had this one in just over 2 months now so haven't had long term effects yet.

for a really positive story my mum had one put in 7 years ago for heavy flooding and she has had absolutely no problems and it is still working after all this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had the mirena in for nearly 2 years now and haven't had any non stop bleeding or weight gain at all. Every 3 months or so I'll have some light spotting, that's it!

It's a little uncomfortable getting it inserted but that's over in 5 seconds.

100% positive experience!! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the mirena for nearly a year!! No weight gain/acne. I did have constant bleeding for about the first 6 months but tougher it out and it's great now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personaly dont like it due to mucking my hormones up but I do like not getting a period and if I do its only a day of spotting. I also like that it lasts 5 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure this is the kind of positive story your looking for....

I had one and I adore my daughter I conceived on it, life wouldn't be the same with out her
    Lol, sorry I couldn't resist !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I sort of have positives. I needed to do something for very painful and heavy periods. My Gyno said it's the mirena or a uterus ablation.

My Gyno said because of how heavy my periods were that the best I can hope for is a more normal period. It took just over 4.5mths for the constant bleeding to stop though when I had it put in. But when it stopped it actually completely stopped and I don't have anything except for the odd single spot once every 6 weeks or more. So, I have had no period for about 2.5yrs now.

But if you want the full story there are also some possible problems but I'm not sure if the mirena is really to blame or not. I have been trying to loose weight with no success since getting the mirena. Lost some before the mirean and then haven't been able to loose any since then. I have actually put on about 7kgs. And I had anxiety problems before the mirena which have got worse. But I don't know if the mirena is making either of these things worse or not. I'm actually going to speak to my Gyno about it soon to discuss whether it's worth having a trial period with it out to see if it helps. But then if it is the mirena then I will have to discuss the operation to fix my problems.

But other than those things which may or may not be due to the mirena it has been really good. No problems at all with libido, DH can't feel it, I can't feel it and no periods at all when they were so very painful and heavy before.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love my mirena :-) I'm on my 2nd one and had spot bleeding for 3 months, barely even worth wearing a panty liner and then no AF at all til I've had the mirena removed. No pain beyond the first 2-3 days and it was just a mild ache, like really mild period pain.

I'd strongly recommend the mirena to anyone who was after a new contraceptive.

Had no weight gain either and didn't notice any changes to hormones.