+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ebay is your friend! If you trawl through them over and over you can find bomboniers and placecards really cheap...same with invites. And they don't look tacky.

Get friends to do as much as you can, my cousin is doing photos as she's done courses and that and a friend is doing my cake for $150. No I would not say it's for a wedding.

Trawl the internet for deals....compare them all and go with the cheapest (not tackiest) option etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great tips tough love.
    I'll be sure to use them.
    My BFF works for a place that has a lot of functions so she is going to get all quotes for me for a "business conference" lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my wedding car:

Free from daddy's garage.

These are the invites I want:

Once I find the paper, I will make them.

My wedding is on a Saturday but the venue has a flat rate on fri, sat, sun nights in winter. So the reception is $6100 for 70 people.
    Which my parents and the in laws will be paying for.

The dj is $400
    And the celebrant is $500
    My bridesmaids are buying their own dresses as long as they are black and knee length with straps.

My sister is giving me $250 for my cake as the wedding gift.

So it should not be too expensive for us, but I would like to save more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    • I got a bargain dress that was beautiful
    • We kept the guest list down to 60 people
    • We chose a venue for the reception where we could supply the alcohol ourselves, and we hired one person from the catering company to pour drinks.
    • We saved money on photography by hiring an amateur who is extraordinarily talented but was just starting out. He charged us hardly anything although charges much more these days.
    • Flowers weren't important to me, I didn't care if I had a dozen white roses or whatever, so I had gerberas. Still beautiful and way cheaper.
    • One bridesmaid, one best man. Bridesmaid bought her own dress but I said she could pick absolutely anything she wanted. She bought a beautiful red/black number that looked stunning.
    • We made our own invitations.
    • I didn't do placecards or bonbonierres - but we had a lolly buffet. It wasn't really cheap, it probably cost around $500 all up but it looked amazing and was a huge talking point (a hint, if you're doing this keep to one or two colours).
    • We didn't do wedding cars - we hired a big house and had the ceremony and reception there so DH and I were already there getting ready when guests arrived.
    • We did our own music via iPod and a computer and some speakers set up around the place - no need to hire a band or jukebox or anything.
    • For food I found a good catering company that wasn't a big name, so she wasn't expensive. I think for $2000 all up she did four sorts of finger food, then a buffet dinner with several roast meats, vegies, etc, and for dessert we had our wedding cake which was a croquembouche (about $150 so cheaper than traditional wedding cake). Everyone said the food was great and buffet style I thought was nice and it fit with our casual feel.
    • I asked my beautician if she could recommend a good makeup artist - I got her cousin or something who had done a Napoleon course in Sydney and was getting work doing theatre makeup, etc. She did mine and my sisters (and travelled a really long way to do it), for like $100, and a $30 trial or something.
    • My auntie (a hairdresser) did our hair for free.
    My best advice is don't go with "big name" caterers, photographers, makeup arists, etc who charge like a wounded bull. See if you can get talented people who aren't so well known or who are just starting out. Ask people you know if they know someone who they can recommend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saved a bit because I have friends and family in the wedding business. Flowers, decorations and photography at minimal cost.
    But other ways I saved- I had one limo for me, my parents and my three bridesmaids instead of 3 separate cars. Also, we didn't do order of services- we figured they mostly get thrown away anyway. We did our own invites and instead of individual place cards we just had a photo frame on each table with the names on that so people could choose who they wanted to sit next to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We generally saved money by keeping things simple. In saying that we didn't really want a traditional wedding we just wanted to have a gorgeous party to celebrate with family and close friends.

Some specific cost savings we made were;

-we had no attendants (heaps less hassle as well as less cost).
    - my gown was an end of season sample which was heavily discounted.
    -DH is a graphic designer and designed and printed our invitations.
    -DH is also in a band so we had muso friends play at the wedding.
    - a family friend is a cake maker and did our cake and cupcake tower.
    -we hired a luxury sedan and driver from a cab company instead of hiring from a "wedding car" company.
    -flowers were obtained from wholesale flower markets (they also did my bouquet).
    -we found a great photographer who was a WAHM and cheaper than shopfront photographers.
    - we got married on a Friday which was slightly cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Made own invitations

Didnt tell national park that it was for a wedding or it was going to be $100 more

Mother in law made cake

$350 dress from pacopm

Husband (whose a jeweller) made rings!

Booked photographer for only 3 hours. Still did 650 photos in that time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on the style of wedding you have planned, i think you can save a lot of money by not being too picky on everything and grabbing things if you see a good deal.

I saw some cute dresses i loved in review and got my bridesmaids to try them on. It was the first one i had seriously looked at, but i loved them so didn't look elsewhere. I waited for them to go on sale and got each dress for $150 (down from $360) and there was a closing down myer sale where i got my flower girl dresses at 80% off. They were $110 each and i got all four for $89. I just grabbed all the sizes they had, and will just alter them myself if the need to be taken in/let out.

So i've ended up dressing my bridal party of 7 girls for $539 which full price would have been more than $1500. I could have looked elsewhere but i love all the dresses and was happy to just make a quick decision while they were on sale rather than agonising over too many options.

Some other ideas

• If you have a big bridal party, you can also have flower corsages for the girls rather than bouquets for all of them.
    • If you want lots of flowers in the room for a bit of colour, you could always go and grab them for a flower market and just make up your own vases for the tables.
    • We're having a vintage themed wedding so we've been collecting old vases and jars from vinnies/the salvo's which we'll use as centre pieces probably with bunches of daisy's. My We're also making tomato pickle and jam to be put in jars as our wedding favours. We've printed off these cute labels from the computer, much cheaper than buying little gifts.
    • I've also found some older polaroid camera's on ebay, and the film is pretty cheap so we're going to put some camera's around the room for random shots at the reception.
    • As some one else has already said, having and iPod of music is a good way to go. We have set out our whole play list and we want a lot of Ella Fitzgerald and Edith Pilaf for the cocktails earlier on, then some up beat stuff for later in the night. All you need is a laptop and some speakers.

I think if you are trying to save money, sit down and work out what the most important elements of your wedding to you, and allocate more money to those. Then just cut your budget down for the other stuff. We're spending a bit on a photographer and photo booth. We'll spend less on cars, wedding dress/shoes, entertainment.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 25-05-2012 at 15:51.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was about to say 'dont tell anyone its a wedding'!!!

Engagement, 21st, hens night - anythign BUT a wedding!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some ways we saved money were:

- Hiring one wedding car only. Nice for the bride and bridesmaids to make an arrival in a fancy car, everyone else it doesn't really matter!
    - Buying some of the smaller stuff on Ebay
    - Making our own place cards/favours
    - Invitations were made by one of my bridesmaids sisters (charged me for materials only so it was really cheap)
    - Our reception venue had heaps of inclusions in their package, including floral arrangements on each table. We got the florist who did the floral arrangments at the venue to do our bouquets too so it all matched.
    - We only had 75 people.
    - We chose a photographer who didn't insist on including a wedding album in her package. Those albums are freakin' expensive!
    - Got a friend who is a hairdresser to to all the hair.

My best tip is to simply shop around. The internet was my best friend during my wedding planning!