+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Almost 7yo suddenly wetting the bed

As the title suggests, my almost 7yo has suddenly started wetting the bed. It started about 3 weeks ago and she's wet the bed nearly every night at home, but as far as I know she hasn't wet any other beds (we stay at other people's houses quite often and she also goes to her dad's once a week or so). She toilet trained herself easily at about 16 months old, and I took her out of night nappies at about 22 months old with no issues. So it's definitely a new problem.
    She says she doesn't realise she's doing it and it's while she's asleep.

Any ideas on what I can do or why this might be happening?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    The first thing you need to do is take her to a dr it could be a infection. There are other reasons like stress etc... but the dr would be my first port of call.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 25-05-2012 at 13:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    The first you need to do is take her to a dr it could a infection. There are other reasons like stress etc... but the dr would be my first port of call.
    That's what I was going to say.

It could be a bladder infection.

I had one a few years ago, I had no symptoms other than when I was relaxed (sleeping) I would pee my self, TMI sorry.
    I just lost bladder control.

There could be other things going on as well like what PP said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd also take to a Chiro. Making sure everything is lined up and no nerves are making the problem worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I hadn't even thought of an infection! I'd been racking my brain thinking of stress related things but forgot about any physiological causes! I took your advice and just got back from the GP. We have to collect a urine sample (she couldn't do one under pressure while we were there LOL) and then we can go from there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Thanks ladies, I hadn't even thought of an infection! I'd been racking my brain thinking of stress related things but forgot about any physiological causes! I took your advice and just got back from the GP. We have to collect a urine sample (she couldn't do one under pressure while we were there LOL) and then we can go from there.
    Hopefully the urine test will give you some answers.
    Let us know how she goes
    Lol i find it hard to pee under pressure too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Urinalysis came back all clear!

Hmmm now comes the hard part, thinking of other reasons why she's doing it... Hopefully it's just a phase...

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG someone please help me! She's still wetting the bed. And what's worse (and I have pointed out to her that this is WORSE than the actual act of wetting the bed), is that she doesn't tell me she's wet, she just changes her pj's and then HIDES THEM in the bedroom somewhere!!! So I only discover them after they've stunk the whole freaking bedroom out. Help??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Your child is obviously embarassed so I wouldn't shame her otherwise he won't talk to you. If your daughter won't open up to you then I'd take her to an experienced child counsellor. Could you talk to her dad to see if he has an idea of what could have changed/be wrong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    OMG someone please help me! She's still wetting the bed. And what's worse (and I have pointed out to her that this is WORSE than the actual act of wetting the bed), is that she doesn't tell me she's wet, she just changes her pj's and then HIDES THEM in the bedroom somewhere!!! So I only discover them after they've stunk the whole freaking bedroom out. Help??
    I was at the paediatrition with my 3 yr old last week and they actually had some information about bedwetting in 6yr + children and the things that can cause it. I think you should go back to the gp and if they are no help ask for a paed referral.

There was a big list of physiological and psychological things that can cause it and also methods of stopping it like alarms on the bed, etc.

She must be really embarrassed to be hiding her pjs so I would be extra sensitive when talking about it and maybe just let her know she can put them straight in the wash basket or even put a basket in her room for her dirty clothes to go in so it takes some of the embarrassment away?