+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaving your children at a friends house??

How do you really know if someone can be trusted? When do you feel comfortable leaving your child at their friends house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know if there is an definitive way of telling. I suppose I'm more likely to trust other women with kids. Occasionally I get funny feelings about people though.

I have only left my son with about 3 friends. Two are childless and I have known them for at least 10 years, and trust them implicitly. The other one I have only known for a few years, but again, it wouldn't occur to me not to trust her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I had a funny feeling about it - I wouldn't, but the ones I do let my kids stay with I trust 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have absolutely no idea... I am dreading the sleep over stage once it starts in a few years!!!

There are numerous people (family and friends) that I would think I totally trust, but at the back of my mind, I can't shake the constant messages that it's always someone whom you wouldn't suspect!!! My kids have ever only stayed with my single sister and my mum and dad....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ha ha the only people I will leave my kids with is two mums I spend heaps and heaps of time with. I know them so well I know when they are ovulating lol. Oh and my neighbour who has kids the same age because I have spent heaps of time at her place..
    BUT I would never leave my kids at my neighbours when her husband is alone because I have noticed he is really lazy at supervising . I am really cautious about this right now. One day they will come to an age where they will come and go freely to friends places I'm sure. But I like to know people really well before I trust them with my kidlets while they are at an age where they are still so trusting and naive

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I havnt let dd stay with friends. Only family so far. I'm not sure when I would. It's not that I dont trust my friends. I just dont feel comfortable with it. I'm also not looking forward to the sleep over ages.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have only ever left dd1 at a friends house once for half an hour lol. I know this mum pretty well and know that dd1 would be well looked after. I'm reluctant partly cos I want her well looked after, and partly cos i don't want to impose (she is 4.5yo). she has food allergies so I think I will be playing that card a bit in the future lol

I think when i start leaving her at friends houses, i will leave a phone with her so she can call me if she needs to. Once when my niece was 8 she was at a school friend's house and the mother refused to let her call home (the girl of the house was being mean to her).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have left DD1 at a friends place (a male friend) when she was 15 months old, overnight. My family hit the roof but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't trust this friend with my life (and my daughters) and I didn't see how it was any different to leaving her with a female friend. I've never done it again though (mainly to save arguments).

My best friend offers to take DD1 about once a month, they go to a park or swimming and then to her place and make cupcakes and all sorts of fun stuff. She has babysat both DDs many times although has no kids herself (poor woman is wrecked by the end of it lol). I've known her since preschool and she was at the birth of my DD1 so she is more family then friend. Her mum is also DD1s daycare director.

She is now the only friend I will leave the girls with where we live now. We have many friends where we used to live- DD1 was having sleepovers with friends from about 12 months. All our friends where we used to live have children the same age as Dd1 anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am super, super paranoid about this. Even some family members I don't trust enough. I don't even want to think about sleep overs with school friends. It only takes a very small amount of time for something terrible to happen, that will affect your child for the rest of their life. And as the OP said, it's not always the "dodgy" ones, sometimes it's the people you trust most.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If I didn't trust them, they wouldn't be my friends. I've left him with my close friends in the past a handful of times. He's had nothing short of a great time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (26-05-2012)