+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Girls what happens next? Need advice:)

DD is 1 years old in 2 months and I have a few questions...?????

Does formula stop at 1 years old?
    Do they switch to real milk?
    DD is on Goat Milk so where would I even find this milk?

Okay but here's the thing. DD still feeds through the night. She is a 3 hourly milk guzzler day and night. She eats small amounts but often, always has done. Breastfeeding was worse she ate hourly.

I have tried everything to wean her night feeds but she just screams until she gets her milk so as you can imagine at 2am you just do as she asks. My MCHN says she doesn't need the night feeds and I am doing it all wrong but you know what as much as yes I do get tired I like following her lead and if she is hungry she is hungry so I stopped trying to wean her ages ago.

If she is not on formula anymore I couldn't imagine giving her real milk every 3 hours is this even okay? She has been on solids since about 4 months but has never ever dropped a single milk feed.

When they are 1 solids are suppose to come first right? How will I get her to drop a couple of milk feeds? She doesn't mind solids but absolutely loves her milk. When do babies actually stop milk altogether?

Sorry if these are such dumb Q's but you guys always know so much more than anyone or any book I know.

BroneDalit is offline Crazy Cat Lady and Pervy Hobbit Fancier
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get goat's milk form Coles/Woolies in UHT.
    Bubs usually have a growth spurt around 1, which could be why she's waking for a feed.
    You introduce milk slowly. Maybe it's time for a follow on formula? I remember changing my DD's for to the 12 months old one.
    Maybe try giving her more solid food? Not all kids are the same - so don't feel bad!
    My daughter's 3, so I'm having a bit trouble remembering what we did when she was that age!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BroneDalit For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you hun but she is 10 months 1 soon so I doubt a growth spurt. I'm just preparing. She has always fed this way so just wondering what happens next? I'm just wondering how much milk they drink after 1?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know of plenty of babies/toddlers who are still having the nightly feeds, even by 2-3 years of age. I am pretty sure you can get the goats milk fresh from the fridge section of any supermarket, mainly coles/woolies, plus they have the longlife version... i'd maybe try her on a feed of the fresh stuff, see how she likes it.. if she doesn't maybe a follow on toddler stage formula..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post

Does formula stop at 1 years old?
    Do they switch to real milk?
    DD is on Goat Milk so where would I even find this milk?

When they are 1 solids are suppose to come first right? How will I get her to drop a couple of milk feeds? She doesn't mind solids but absolutely loves her milk. When do babies actually stop milk altogether?

each parent and child will do things a little differently but in this household we did the following

I kept breastfeeding till DD was 20mths old so no you dont have to stop formula if you feel she is getting all her nutrients from solids. If you feel like you need to keep at least one bottle/serve of formula a day then its ok even if you feel like she is eating sufficiently enough. Just dont move onto toddler formula cos I have heard its too sugary. Stage 2 should be fine.

We started giving DD a cup of cows milk whenever I worked and was going to miss a bf after 12mths. I hated expressing so it was a relief. I still bf'd when she was with me.

Goats milk can be found as a UHT or in the dairy section of coles/woolies.

after 1 we did the solids before a bf. it took till 14mths for dd to eat a bit more and only then did I try nightweaning. Till then she was having 2 overnight bfs.

I too got grief for still nursing overnight from various medical professionals and thus stopped visiting them. I was happy to feed overnight cos DD wasnt a huge solid eater. She tried everything happily but was just not that into it. even now there are days she'll eat like a horse and others she'll pick/choose all bloody day.

I dropped the milk feeds stupidly in hope that DD would eat more solids at 6/7mths only to have her wake up 2-6 times a night for a bf. Currently preg with #2 and I will not be making that mistake. solids should supplement a baby not overtake it. Some kids like more milk than others. its ok. as long as your baby is attempting/trying to eat various food groups its fine IMO.

Milk (cows/dairy) is recommended till adolescence and young adulthood and even longer in women. 600mL of milk till teenagers and women in pregnancy/breastfeeding and 300mL of milk/dairy equivalent in adults.

DD is 21mths and has approx 600-700mL of dairy a day. 1 cup in the afternoon before her nap. 1-2 cups at night depending how much dinner she has eaten. She has cheese for morning tea and yoghurt for dessert daily.

hope this helps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you giving her solids before milk? I know with my DS he turned into a food monster at 10 months!
    All babies are different, at 1 they should definitely have solids before milk
    For us, with consult with my naturopath and my SIL who is a nutritionist, we don't think cows milk is a good substitute for formula ( or of course BM) so we kept DS on his stage 2 goat formula until we felt his solids were meeting his daily nutritional needs ( at 19 months he still has 200ml a day)
    We used fresh goats milk from our organic shop( I think Paul's has goats milk in the fridge section at Coles) as well as almond or quinoa milk as I make him an afternoon smoothie or to have with his cereal, I cook with A2 milk and he also sometimes has that for smoothies as well , cows milk does not have the iron they need ( that his formula has) plus dairy does hinder iron absorption , ( as well as being harder to digest etc)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thanks ladies that helps ALOT