+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    Am I the only one who read this who thinks $200 per week per child is an obscene amount to send for school banking?!?!

I send $5 and think that's more than a fair amount (some of my friends thought that was generous, lots only send $2!!)

I'd be crabby with the school too over their lack of concern at the lost money but to be perfectly honest I'm more concerned the school isn't raising its eyebrows at one family banking $600 per week into kids accounts!!!!
    This! I wish I had $200 just for me to save each week, let alone DD too! Aren't you also a single mum? Wow!

Can I ask how you can budget $600/week? I need all the tips I can get.

Sorry off topic and they definitely should have apologised and arranged it to be banked that day, would it have been possible for you to have taken it down to ensure she could have still entered the comp?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (25-05-2012),twotrunks  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The bonus to the school is for deposits only, but there is no restriction against withdrawals. Sorry the kids don't get to keep the money - I let it build up for a few weeks then transfer it out again. (They do get to keep the interest accrued however.) They are also really enjoying counting their tokens.

My current budget leaves us, as a family, about $100-150pw in the positive, and that has built up to a nice buffer that I can move around as needed.

(Unfortunately we are currently in need of a replacement car, and needing at least seven seats [7 should be enough because we dont normally all travel together] am looking at spending around $10k which will put a sizeable dent in my buffer. DD1 is also needing to get her own place (closer to uni), and as an unemployed 18yo student with zero rental history in Brisbane, she'll need the remainder of my buffer to provide 4-6 months advance rent to give herself a shot at being accepted. Yes, she'll pay it back at the normal weekly rental rate, but I always feel uncomfortable if I have less than $2k in reserve for emergencies, and this will put me back in that position.)

would it have been possible for you to have taken it down to ensure she could have still entered the comp?
    Unfortunately the deposits need to be through the school banking system, so a separate deposit wont count.

----------------

The whole thing was mainly a bit of a rant at the total disinterest of the office lady and that I had to chase around after it with her showing no apparent concern. And then even after it was found still being unwilling to accept the possibility that the error occurred in their care.

I do think that it most likely was an accident with Miss11's book falling off the top of the pile into the back of the safe and thus getting missed. Missing out on the competition was an unfortunate consequence, but that is the way the system works and I really don't think there is anything that can be done there.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 25-05-2012 at 19:34.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (25-05-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would talk to the principal about it. If she wasn't even there then she had no right to be so adamant that it was your DD's fault. That's appalling!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I was thinking the lady behind the back pocketed the money and when you wouldn't go away pulled out the 200 and came up with the story. I think she was hoping you would blame your dd for loosing her book. Very sus if you ask me.
    That's what I was thinking...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking the lady behind the back pocketed the money and when you wouldn't go away pulled out the 200 and came up with the story. I think she was hoping you would blame your dd for loosing her book. Very sus if you ask me.
    I have to say that was my initial thought to. Especially with how much this lady was prepared to fob you off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be really concerned at the office lady's lack of interest in a missing bank book with $200 cash in it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like a lot of farting around transferring money just to earn a
    Bit of Interest and a few bob for the school. But if you're happy to do it, that's your prerogative.

It's a little brave sending your kid to school with $600... Puts a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.

I think you're right... The $ and book fell off the pile in the safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it all does sound very overly complicated....i am in the "why on earth do you send that much cash in"" Sounds like money laundering lol

To prevent the loss happening again....why not just send them with $5 each that they get to keep in their accounts.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sounds like a lot of farting around transferring money just to earn a
    Bit of Interest and a few bob for the school. But if you're happy to do it, that's your prerogative.

It's a little brave sending your kid to school with $600... Puts a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.
    I agree!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This too...