+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School Banking - not happy with the attitude of the office lady.

The school gets 5% (up to $10) for each deposit with school banking.
    The children get a token for each deposit (regardless of amount). Once they have ten tokens they get to choose a minor reward (eg a box of four halfsize colouring pencils).

Thus, to provide additional funds for the school, each week I ensure each child has $200 for school banking and thus the school gets $30 (3x $10) from children each week.

Normally, I take the bankbooks to the office myself, however this Wednesday was a little different. Miss9 had left her backbook in her classroom, and there was also a prep excursion that I needed to not be late for - and I needed to drop the children at school, then drop Miss3 off and be back for the prep excursion within 30 mins.

So I put the $200 in each of Miss5 & Miss11's books, and give them to Miss11 along with a loose $200 for Miss9's book. Miss11 has instructions to go straight to the office and wait for Miss9 to bring her book, then put the money in Miss9's book and ask someone to help her fill it out.

Last night, I check bank accounts online and discover that Miss5 and Miss9's money has gone in, but Miss11's has not. So this morning I go to the office to query this. The office lady says she'll have to contact the banking Mum and ask her. Then she goes out the back room and comes back with Miss9's book. I wait for awhile and it appears she is getting on with her other task, so I ask if she is going to get back to me after speaking the the banking Mum, or do I need to come back.

Her response, "isn't that it?". I explain that no, that is Miss9's book. So she looks very annoyed whilst she rings the banking Mum and is told, no only Miss5 & Miss9's books were there. So she tells me that only the two books were there and Miss11's wasn't handed it. Her manner is very dismissive at that point.

So I go to Miss11's classroom to check that she handed all three books over, and ask who exactly she gave them to. Her class is currently doing a test so her teacher comes over to ask me why I'm there. I explain the situation and also state that I don't want to interrupt the test. He says that it is important and calls Miss11 over and gets her to check her bag. He also goes down to the office to check his pigeon hole (which is where the books get put to be sent back home after the money is banked). He is checks other places in the classroom, and Miss11 cannot specify who it was in the office she gave the books to, but she is certain she gave all three over. Her teacher emphasises that she is very trustworthy, and she returns to her test.

I go back down to the office and try to talk to the lady again. She is very dismissive and simply insists that only two books were handed in, not three. I explain exactly what I understand occurred, "Miss5 & Miss11 were counting their tokens in the car. When I stopped, Miss11 already had her book, and I took Miss5's from Miss5 and handed it to Miss11. I also handed her a loose $200 for Miss9's book and told her to go to the office and wait for Miss9 to bring her book, then put the money in Miss9's book and ask for help filling it out. Miss9 was instructed to go straight to her classroom, fetch her book, and bring it to Miss11 in the office. I saw Miss11 walk to the office, and Miss9 head off in the direction of her classroom." All the while the office lady is interrupting stating, "Well that didn't happen."

When I don't leave, she says "Both the banking Mum and Sharon say that they only got two books, so there were only two books. I haven't been here for the last two days so Sharon was in the office." Eventually she goes out back and returns again with Miss11's book (with the $200) still in it, stating "it had fallen to the back of the safe, she can bank it next week. It must've come in after banking had been finished."

Her attitude was very dismissive, and not willing to take into account anything that I had to say. I am thinking that the only possibilities are:

* The bank books were put into the safe in the morning until the banking lady came to get them, and unfortunately Miss11's fell off the pile and was missed, or
    * Miss11 dropped her book whilst she was putting the money into Miss9's book, and someone found it and handed it in. (However if this occurred then wouldn't there be some sort of note to indicate such.)

-----------------------

The downside for Miss11 is that by missing a week of banking, she is now not eligible for the current competition run by the bank. (It required that you bank in five of the last six weeks, and also give a sentence (of up to 20 words) of your tips to save money. One of the last six weeks had a public holiday on Wednesday, which is their school banking day. I brought the books in on the Tuesday for that week, but they were just held over to the following week and banked then. So that means that missing any other week would not qualify for the competition.

The downside for the school is that they miss out on their $10 that they would've received if that $200 had been banked this week.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 25-05-2012 at 10:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, just prior to leaving, I asked the office lady if she could let Miss11's teacher know because he was quite concerned. She said "yes" but did not pick up the phone to do so.

I left hoping that she did pass on the message, and wondering if I should've perhaps gone back to the classroom to tell him myself. I was torn between not wanting to disturb him again, and wanting to ease his concerns if the office lady was tardy in informing him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aaargh how frustrating! I feel for you. Dealing with some people can be like banging your head against a brick wall. And your poor miss11 now misses out on the competition because of a mistake made by the school office At the very least the office lady should have apologised on the office's behalf, rather than indirectly calling your daughter a liar. Grrrrr so rude!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like such a hassle and a rip off that the school gets money for nothing. I would just create an account for each child with my FI and then electronically put the money in. Or if the kids like the thought of saving money and getting tokens etc, then I would still create the accounts with my own FI and then go to the bank with the kids each week (give them my own tokens or rewards). This way I'm in control not some other mum or a school office lady. Especially if its $200 per week per child.

But up to you if you want to keep doing what you are doing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveHeart For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The $200 each is specifically for the benefit of the school - so the school gets $10 for each toward their fundraising. I have been going to the trouble of doing so specifically for the benefit of the school. (I do not understand why the bank is willing to donate so much, but since they are I am facilitating it.)

My children would get the same personal benefit (one token each week) regardless of whether they deposited $1 each or $200 each.

I dont want to disadvantage the school simply due to a falling out with the office lady, so I'll keep doing so at present, but if problems continue then I will reevaluate.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 25-05-2012 at 16:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Am I the only one who read this who thinks $200 per week per child is an obscene amount to send for school banking?!?!

I send $5 and think that's more than a fair amount (some of my friends thought that was generous, lots only send $2!!)

I'd be crabby with the school too over their lack of concern at the lost money but to be perfectly honest I'm more concerned the school isn't raising its eyebrows at one family banking $600 per week into kids accounts!!!!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (25-05-2012),kriista  (25-05-2012),singlemumma82  (25-05-2012),twotrunks  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    Am I the only one who read this who thinks $200 per week per child is an obscene amount to send for school banking?!?!

I send $5 and think that's more than a fair amount (some of my friends thought that was generous, lots only send $2!!)

I'd be crabby with the school too over their lack of concern at the lost money but to be perfectly honest I'm more concerned the school isn't raising its eyebrows at one family banking $600 per week into kids accounts!!!!
    I was thinking the same but thought I must have misunderstood!

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by knomie View Post
    I was thinking the same but thought I must have misunderstood!

mummy to gods gift to us
    Ditto!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree that the school should be far more concerned at a lost $200, but why should they raise eyebrows at any amount of money banked?

By the sounds of it they are so disorganised i doubt they notice who banks what anyway.

OP that is really careless of them. Carelessness can be overlooked when some level of concern about lost money is shown - obviously not the case here.

It would be frustrating when you are trying to do the right thing by the school when you could be depositing the money into high interest accounts instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking the lady behind the back pocketed the money and when you wouldn't go away pulled out the 200 and came up with the story. I think she was hoping you would blame your dd for loosing her book. Very sus if you ask me.