+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I am terrified of losing my job

I only started with the company just over 3 months ago. I work full time in an office environment that is very demanding. I've been off sick every day this week with morning sickness. I only get 10 sick days a year.

I've told my boss i am 6 weeks pregnant and she has been VERY supportive, but she is also a close friend. She doesn't have too much say when it comes to hiring/firing.

I've tried dry crackers, ginger, sea sickness bands and maxalon.. All provide a slight relief but i am still dry retching constantly until late afternoon most days.

Im really stressed as i need to work. There is no way we could afford to live on just DPs income.

Im just terrified i wont get better and wont be able to work. My probationary period is 6 months and they only need to give me 1 weeks notice if they wish to terminate my contract.

I am a GREAT employee and everyone has been so surprised by how quickly ive picked things up. I've always been a valuable employee wherever I am so I've always been begged not to leave jobs rather then asked to leave..

This is really stressing me out..

What have other hubbers done???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you gone to a doctor and tried medication?
    Apart from that there isn't much you can do, nothing worked for me.
    I remember pulling my car over and vomiting then getting to work and vomiting. It was really bad. I felt like I wanted to die.
    You can go to the doctor and get a doctors certificate also.

Sorry no other advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, i got a prescription for maxalon which hasn't really helped. i have doctors certificates but I'm scared this will last more days then i have left.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard the wafers (zofran?) can really help. They are exxy though I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you get a doctors certificate at least you have "proof" that you are sick... this situation is hard... however, I have just started my maternity leave and I am a manager in an admin office/call centre... our company won't 'fire' you over being legitimately sick, especially if your productivity while you are at work is good!! what about working half days? that way you only work in the afternoons until you feel better in the mornings? that way at least they can see that you are trying to come to an arrangement and meet in the middle. what about taking work home with you - can you do that?
    You said your boss knows your pregnant, and surely the person doing the 'firing" would get her imput before making any major decision about that... it's better/cheaper to keep someone employed who knows what they are doing than train someone totally new...
    Hopfully your sickness doesn't last too long, but have a chat to your doc about what else you could take to help you. good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd try giving Zofran a go, it is expensive but works. I had horrible MS from 6-10weeks and Maxalon and other natural remedies didn't work for me either but Zofran worked a treat, I still felt nauesous at times but it stopped the vomiting.

Just take peace in knowing that most cases MS will subside by 12week, hope yours passes soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much hubbers, you have made me feel much better.

I'll see what i can do in regards to taking work home or working half days and i'll have a chat to my doctor today about zofran.

I am truly feeling so bad about not being there tho. I think a lot of it is me feeling guilty about letting my team down. I know they would be getting hammered without me being there. Especially as a girl in my team resigned and they haven't hired a replacement yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Zofran has saved my job. Hope you feel better x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    definately try zofran i could barely get out of bed before i started taking it and couldn't keep food or water down. while taking it i was still vomiting but not nearly as much. and shop around when u go to get the script filled because u will find some places are heaps cheaper then others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope your ms eases soon op. I missed out on ms (thank goodness), but now that I'm further along and working a very physical job my boss wants me to seriously consider leaving sooner rather then later. I really want to make it to July so I qualify for the paid parental leave, but work is kicking my butt at the moment.
    They've cut my hours back, and given me a day shift to make it a bit easier on me. While I really appreciate the fact that they are keeping me working, and I do appreciate the lighter work loads I also feel a bit frustrated that I can't keep up as easily as I used to (and hate the feeling that I'm not doing my share).

I think its something that you have to give yourself a break on, I'm sure your team will understand Just do as much as you can and work with your employers to come to an arrangement (lots of communication about what you are feeling and what you can do. Also keep them updated, since pregnancy is always throwing new things at us ). They will appreciate being kept in the loop, and no company wants to fire a pregnant woman. The potential publicity would be terrible for them, and it opens them up to possible discrimination suits (especially if you can prove that you were trying to work with the company to get your work done, and you have the doctors certificates to prove how unwell you were).