+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What type of heating do you have in your home?

So we bought a place in February and our home has hydronic heating which is apparently cheaper to run than ducted heating. We haven't got our first bill yet so not sure how true that is but we have it on all day and night as DS has asthma.

What type of heating do you have? Does using it in winter make a big difference to your gas/electricity bill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only have a gas wall furnace in the lounge room and it chews through the gas. In winter or has bill more than quadruples.

We also use water heaters (same as oil heaters, but filled with water instead) in the baby's room. That doesn't make a noticeable impact on the electricity bill.

I wish we had ducted, but it's only really cold for around 8 weeks where we live so not really worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think our aircon has a heat pump function. Not sure though, we've never needed it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A wall reverse cycle that is old and we have our a gas point but I haven't tried it, gas makes dads asthma play up

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ducted and winter time our bill is usually $600.. Not cheap for us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have reverse cycle a/c but I've never used the heat function..... One of the bonuses of living in qld

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Reverse cycle and it sucks. Well te house sucks as it was built in the 40s and has gaps in the floor boards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. We are about to do extensions to our house and are looking at putting a heating system in. We have an airconditioner in the loungeroom but that chews through the electricity and doesn't do a very good job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have ducted central heating (gas) and live in Victoria.

Our 2 bills that cover march - august are generally $350-400 each as we have the heater running during the day as well as overnight. It's set on 16-17 degrees overnight and 18 during the day.

We can generally go a couple of months over summer without it coming on at all. Bills for these 2 warmer quarters are usually about $150.

Out house is 6 yrs old and 23sq but is all open plan so if you could close off rooms/areas of the house you wouldn't need to heat it all and it would be cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have inslab heating in the whole house as well as a split system in the living area. It's cosy, but my big winter bill is over $1000 for one quarter. I'm in Canberra though.