21 26.58%
  • Other...

2 2.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep have one and love it.
    We had to replace ours a couple of weeks ago and I hated not having it for the 5 days in between the old one dying and buying the new one :-(

I also cant understand how people can't fill it? I don't wash anything during the day and do one wash cycle at the end of the day with everything I can shove in. Even ds's highchair tray, which makes it so easy!

DH complains when there is still some room left for other dishes but it only uses 13L of water for the cycle and I figure I'd use more than that if I washed a sink full after breakfast, lunch and tea :-)

My in laws have an old dishwasher that basically rinses their dishes so they fully wash them and then put them in the dishwasher to rinse for 15 minutes.

Mind you they think my new dishwasher is wasteful because it takes so much longer to finish a cycle than theirs... It takes 48 minutes for the daily wash cycle that i use and indent rinse anything before putting it in..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Yes and I use it every single day.

They are more energy efficient than handwashing dishes, even when not full. Most people would use more than one sink of water to handwash dishes over a day and my dishwasher uses less than a sink to wash up to a capacity of a 12 person setting.
    See for us I have just rinsed our one bowl and one spoon in less water than it takes to fill a bowl. We mostly use less than half a sinkful of water in a full day except for slow cooker nights.

Also have 1 adult and 1 child, but I guess the types of things we have mean fewer dishes? The majority of our meals are vegan, with a couple involving eggs, but that means 1 knife and 1 cutting board. We might use the same number of dishes, but cooking for 2 means I can make a stirfry in the skillet, cooking for 4 means using the electric frying pan, cooking for 6+ means using the big wok. Obviously the amount of bowls/plates/forks increases with more people, but also the wok takes more water to clean than the skillet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No. We've just moved out of a house that had one though.

If I had the choice, then yes, I would like to have one! But we are only a family of 3 and I think if you keep on top of it and don't allow dishes to pile up then it's not the end of the world.

We had a dishwasher in our apartment that we lived in before we had DS. We hardly used it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we do. DF and I were just discussing how much we take it for granted now. We never had one until three years ago. I love it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went for years without one then got one when we brought our house 2 years ago... I love it to bits!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes. But it's under mum and dad's place. If we don't have one in the new rental, I bringing it with me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had never had one before we moved into this house about 5 months ago. And now I can say - I honestly can't live without it. If it broke I
    d buy another one asap. I used to have to do about 6 lots of washing up a day with meals and snacks and bottles etc. Now its just a load or sometimes two in the dishwasher! Love it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup, it's very old and crappy though, but does the job pretty much! Still have to rewaah 1 or 2 things per load but that's far better then doing them all in my opinion!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not having meat would make a difference. Because as I am sure you can appreciate meat often leaves frypans/skillets etc pretty dirty. When my dishwasher was broken and I was waiting on its replacement I would've easily used two sinks of water to wash dinner plates, lunch plates, glasses, cutlery, cooking utensils and the frypan/slow cooker/roasting pan etc etc. Like another poster said most new dishwashers use maybe 15L of water. Most kitchen sinks are about 40L.

And FWIW if you need to rinse every single dish before putting it in the dishwasher you need to fo something about your rinseaid/washing powder or there is something wrong with your machine.
    Yeah that's right. I used to work in a kitchen when younger, meat makes a huge difference. It would really not be worth it for us, although it would be good for hiding dishes

18. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And FWIW if you need to rinse every single dish before putting it in the dishwasher you need to fo something about your rinseaid/washing powder or there is something wrong with your machine.
    Totally agree. I don't rinse anything and my trusty Boshe cleans all. Powder is also better than tablets as its kinder on your dishes (less abrasive) and cheaper.

To answer the OP, yes and I love it. I've had one now for 5 years and would cry so hard if it broke. I hate dishes with a passion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (25-05-2012)