+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grandparent rights question

Hey guys. I'm all new to this forum stuff. Just wanted to ask a question of other mums if anyone's got any experience on grandparents rights towards your children? I thought legally they had no rights to demand to see your children if you don't have a relationship with said grandparents yourself. If that makes sence. But a friend said she maybe thinks a new law just passed saying they DID have rights? Googles confusing me worse. Does anyone have any insights?
    Thank you if you can help me with my question

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you're friend is right but its a costly court battle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes they do have rights, but to my knowledge they need to take you to court to "make" you let them see the children. Just like a father would in requesting visitation. Give family relationships Australia a call they will be able to give you 100% fact

tel:1800050321 is their number

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they do, but they have to take you to court & it's VERY expensive.
    My cousin had her ex's parents take her to court and they did win some custody- not much, but enough to really **** her off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Provided that it is in a child's best interest then a Family Court will make orders for children to spend time with a grandparent.

When deciding whether it is in a child's best interest the Court would consider factors such as the child's age, what interaction they have previously had with the grandparent, where each party lives (as would impact upon hen visits can happen) and the reason why the parent might want to limit contact (allegations of abuse, drug use etc need to be backed up with evidence)

unless a grandparent had a significant role in a child's life then the Court orders would probably be for minimal time eg a couple of days a month or maybe a couple of days during school holidays for example.

The first step is family dispute resolution which is a form of mediation and can be initiated by any of the parties.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that guys. I appreciate you taking a moment to help me with some information.
    And thank you for that number. I didn't know there is someone i can ring about it.
    You've been great