+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, that was something else! Sorry, it was a while back that I was in that situation.
    The hospital I was at, gave out these little comforters. Just a rag doll kind of thing. They came in pairs, so one stayed with bub and the other stayed with mum.
    The idea was that mum would put one in her bra so as it would get the scent of her milk (if she could and chose to express for bub) and the other would be placed in the humidicrib with bub. Then they would swap each day.
    Meant to give some comfort to both of them to feel a little closer since they can't be together all the time.

As a pp said about clothes... they wont need clothes for quite some time, plus clothes will just get in the way of all the tubes and wires and stuff.
    However it is nice to get them some things. Nothing in the shops will fit a 27 weeker! I found a range of teddy bear clothes at pumpkin patch which fit my premmie girl. They had these teddy bears that had the same clothes as the kids range. The idea was that the child could have a teddy bear dressed in the exact same clothes as them.
    Anyway, not sure if they still have them, just a thought.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Big hugs to your friend.

I would probably send her some practical stuff, that she may not have had time to think of getting. Like lip balm, hand cream, maybe a book, something light and uplifting. Maybe a water bottle with a built in filter (hospital water can be really rank tasting), maybe a lovely blanket that she can sleep with to give her smell, and then she can leave it in hospital for when bubs is stronger and is being nursed. Maybe also some multivitamins to keep her strong and healthy, or some valerian (or other natural product) to help her sleep and unwind (check breastfeeding safety first!) I'm sure she will love any offering of care and support xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah don't think bath stuff would be of use...

I guess she's in the best hands, just needs her friends right now... I think it will be a tough time, not sure if your friend has this restriction but no one not even my sister and her partner could touch her baby :-( immune system risks or something... It's amazing what they can do these days too

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST
    BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you do much for all the suggestions ladies! Hubby was talking to her hubby this morning and asked if there is anything she particularly wanted or needed, so that's a good place to start I guess lol. I know more then anything she wants her little girl to be safe and to be home with her family, but while that's not possible i figure a few little comfort items won't hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check Mothercare online (or in-store). They have the most marvellous prem clothes that open out totally flat to allow you to dress a baby in an isolette, with velcro for easy on/off, and made to go around all the tubes and wires, in sizes 1.25kg, 1.4kg, and 1.7kg (you'd need the smallest!) They were a indispensable to us for dressing our prem in his isolette. Hope your friend enjoys her goodies, glad to hear bubs is doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really had to think about this for a few hours. Keep her well stocked with muesli bars, or anything snack-like she likes and can chew between feeds ~ it's exhausting when you're new to the Special Care Nursery/NICU, and pumping milk all the time; getting out for a bite to eat is really tricky sometimes. Wouldn't be too concerned about the chocolates ~ if it's the caffeine in it that's a worry, bub's at 27wks are given caffeine till at least 30-31wks to help their breathing reflexes: the equivalent, actually, of 16 double espressos a day! We lived on choccy at the SCnursery!

A cofee-card from the caffeteria (if the hospital has one) ~ if she drinks/drank coffee. An eye-mask for snoozing in the corner of the nursery or attached lounge, if they have one.

Some info on all the tests and abbreviations they use in the nursery ~ try the prem info hub in here, Angel Babies foundation, or Life's Little Treasures. Or if you feel comfortable asking her, refer her back to the handouts they give out in the nursry (ask her if she got one) ~ it's easy to overlook reading it in the first few days, but it helps explain all that they are doing for and to Bub's, and why. Often usually has brilliant advice on SC/NICU babycare protocols, and baby-body-language. Invaluable.

Lastly, it's really hard to get out and buy Prem Nappies, if the hospital doesn't supply them. Bigger hosps sometimes do, but many don't, and bubs will not fit into cloth yet at that size. BBunting sell Lil Snugglers Preemies, about 2 packs get you through 10 days.

Also make sure Dad is supported if you can, as he's probably as shell-shocked as Mum.
    I hope all is going well with Mum, Dad and bub, and if I think of anything else, I'll post it here.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 27-05-2012 at 07:17. Reason: Because I did...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks so much ladies! I tried to think of stuff I would want if I was in her shoes... And to be honest I had no idea, I couldn't begin to imagine what it's like, so the suggestions you ladies have made are very much appreciated.

I ended up asking her what she wants or needs. She has been moved to the Ronald macdonald house as of today. Bub has had all tubes removed (that was on Friday) and doctors are amazed at how well she is doing.

She asked us when we were coming to visit (4 hour drive), so we are going up in a fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lil miss, one more thing...if you can help her with hiring a good breast pump while you are there (she may have one already, or just be using the hospitals, but she'll really need one if she's going to BF in future, and for now, it's optimal for prem's to have Mum's milk). Also, a really nice bassinet blanket that's distinctive ~ they are used to place over the Isolette (incubator) to shade it from the incessant lighting whilst bub is sleeping...having a personal one that a friend has given reminds you of their support every time you see it, and a really distinctive one is great as if the nurses move the incubator in Mum's absence (this happens often), she can instantly see where bub has been shifted to.

Hope all is well with the little bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 5 ranging from 23-33wks. Best things I found helpful, offers to babysit, mow lawns, feed or walk pets if needed, cook meals, maybe a nice journal she could write in each day, warm socks, book, magazine, travel size toiletries, a photo album to record all of bubs milestones, (in nicu, there are a lot) ink pad to take hand n foot prints, depending on how much you want to spend even a photographer to come an take pics

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chickenlicken79 For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (31-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi ladies. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Bub is going great! All tubes removed, feeding like a champ and if things continue how they have been she will be home in a month!! Mum is doing great also, is now at the Ronald macdonald house.

She has asked us to go and visit her so we are heading up in a fortnight.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (31-05-2012),MARTTC  (30-05-2012),misskittyfantastico  (31-05-2012)