+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 'Care Pack' for friend with prem

Hi ladies. Was hoping you could give me some ideas. A good friend of mine had her little girl this morning at 27 weeks. She is in a hospital over 4 hours away from her home and her DS and until last night her DH. I was going to send her flowers but thought she might appreciate some comfort items more. I just don't know what to include. Any ideas? Is there anything in particular I should put in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Iil miss. Best wishes to your friend and I hope her and bub are well and strong. I do gift hampers for newborn babies and mums - I always put in a couple of things for mum to spoil her as the mum is sometimes forgotten in the flurry of cute clothes etc. I'd suggest some chocolate, bath salts and a nice candle for mum. Depends how much you want to spend. Some other ideas are herbal teas if she is a tea drinker or maybe a nice coffee blend from GJs or similar with a nice mug. The baby stuff is easy - I always put in some face washer lollies and cupcakes (have a google) and some singlet roses with some wipes, powder etc. good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google yasmina's gift of hope. They are a charity organization that would be both able to offer support to your friend and help you prepare a great care package...almost all volunteers (my sister included) have gone through very similar situations..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a look at that, they look fantastic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks so much ladies! Mum and bub are doin great- they removed bubs breathing tube today (she was born just after midnight) and she is happily breathing on her own.

I wasn't sure about chocolates and stuff because of the breast milk (I heard it can unsettle bub). I will check out that site, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm sure she'd love some tiny little onesies? When DS was in hospital every item of clothing was way too big (even size 00000). If you have a look online you should be able to buy proper premmie sized clothes.

We loved bringing clothes in to the hospital each day for DS, it was just another way to feel 'involved' in our baby's care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a prem at 29 weeks and she's now 6 years old.
    My experience was pretty aweful. It felt alot like I was grieving a lost loved one but that I didn't have the right to grieve if that makes sense.
    So much guilt and so much confusion.
    I found my only consolation was to pamper myself in the bathroom, as shallow as that sounds. It was the only place I got a little bit of time out from all the drama.
    Some nice bathroom products perhaps would be nice.
    So sorry your friend is going through this. No mother should have to.
    Nice that she has a thoughtful friend like you though, good on you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news about your friend but remember there will be good & bad days from here... My sister had my nephew at 27 weeks, he was in hospital for 3 1/2 months but was on the breathing tube for a lot longer, then off & on a few more times.. It's so early!! Sounds like she has a little fighter on her hands... )
    Personally my sister struggled with connecting with her baby as they were both high risk of dying, so she was put under GA & they took him out... She felt like she had no connection... Not sure what happened with your friend... But as mentioned above some nice pampering stuff, face mask, bath salts (if she can use?!) body butter... It's a bot hard with the baby as she will be too small for almost anything and generally they have special clothes if required...
    Can you cook a meal for her DH or take their DS for a night?
    Maybe a nice note, offering support!
    Best wishes to your friend and her baby...

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2012
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST
    BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think every woman is different, but the things I'll treasure are the tiny hand knitted hats, proper prem bubby clothes - even though it was about four weeks until he could wear actual clothes, a journal, magazines and books to read whilst sitting next to bub, bikkies and chocolates, phonecalls.

Lots of love and best wishes to your friend and her babe.

ETA I was three hours away from DH, DD and DS1 for 9 weeks and I really appreciated the friends that cooked meals for them and made cakes etc...
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 24-05-2012 at 22:21.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

MARTTC  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for all the ideas ladies. She has been in hospital most of the pregnancy, and has known from about 12 weeks that she wouldn't make it to term, even if she did she would have had a c sec no later then37-38 weeks due to bubs size and a few other things. She had a low lying placenta and was having a lot of massive bleeds. The placenta moved but she was still bleeding badly. The doctors said it wasn't affecting bub at all though. Her DS was prem as well but not this early. So yeah she has pretty much known the whole pregnancy she will have a premmie bub, and it's just been a matter of when not if. She had a c-sec so not sure about the bath stuff?

ETA- she was under general as well.

My husband is her husbands boss. The company is actually based where she is, and the head boss has offered her DH work up there while she is up there so he is still earning an income but doesn't have to be hours away. They are also paying for his accommodation while he is up there and stuff like that. Their DS is staying with the grandparents. I have told them that we would be happy to take him even just for a night here and there- he and my 2 DDs are great mates.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 24-05-2012 at 22:25.