+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Advice please private health and tonsils/adenoids

So both my kids have enlarged tonsils and adenoids. We have private health but not hospital. If I want to increase our cover will there be a long wait for it to kick in?! Also does anyone know how long the wait is public? I have heard bad things.
    Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if you still need an answer. I don't have PHI so don't know about waiting times but many ENTs have waiting lists at a public hosp. The one I took DD to does and she's on his list for not our local hosp but the next one away (40mins rather than 25 mins). He said typical wait is about 6 months for his patients. If you get a referral you can ask when you call to make the appointment if they take public patients.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Yes I searched about increasing hospital cover with a pre existing condition and its at least a 12 month wait. I'm really worried cos both the kids have sleep apnea. I can't sleep thinking they will stop breathing but its no help having private health anyway .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you seen an ENT yet? If not, get them to one asap (can take a while to even get an appointment!) and make sure you confirm that they can take public patients when you 1st call (your referring GP may also know). You never know, they may be able to class the surgery as urgent and push it past the waiting lists but still as a public patient. You don't know unless you ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No we have only got the go referral. He referred us to someone private because I said we had phi and he said good because there is a long list.. I will call around a million places and like you say, hopefully get pushed through

Thanks
    Reviews
    go private and check with the surgeon how much the surgery will cost if you pay up front. It might just be worth the money.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Op if you go through the ent they may still be able to get you in quicker than if you went through the hospital clinic - even as a private patient. And the fact that they have apnoea may quicken the process.
    If I were you I would still add on hospital cover to be safe, plus for the future so you don't face the same issues. It is much more important than extras IMO. With private hospital we waited literally one week for the operation for DS.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (25-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel so bad that I just never thought hospital was a real necessity. I thought "we have great public health care in this country, ill always be happy to use the public system" .. well right about now I have completely changed my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only thing I know is my ds was put on the list when he was 5, we got an appointment letter last year.....he turned 17 last month that's in qld !
    And he grew out of it and still has his tonsils