+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cook Islands with a baby

DF & I are going to the Cook Islands for our honeymoon in September. We are also taking DS who will be 10months at the time and my mum and dad are coming along...so more like a familymoon really.
    Just wondering if anyone has travelled to the Cook Islands with a bubba or small child and if you have any tips or helpful suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went with friends who had a 7mo. They didn't have any problems. The speed limit is 50km/hr and car seats aren't required (personal choice). You might want to take as many nappies/wipes/formula(if you FF) as you can with you as general everyday items are so expensive. Milk alone is about $10 a litre (slight overexageration). Rarotonga is beautiful, you will love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm jealous.

That is all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been but not with a child. But honestly, it is the most child friendly place. Places like Cook Islands, Fiji, Samoa etc are very child friendly - I remember there was a babysitting service at the place we stayed at. I found the driving a bit perilous (people sitting in ute trays etc) but if you're hiring your own car with a car seat, you'll be fine. It's a tiny place - you can drive around the main island in a couple of hours. The only thing I'd be wary of is buying food from the supermarket - the main supermarket in Rarotonga isn't air conditioned and I worry about the freshness of food in such warm, humid conditions. But if you eat out you'll be fine. Every restaurant we went to was definitely child friendly.

Have fun - it's such a beautiful place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I went with friends who had a 7mo. They didn't have any problems. The speed limit is 50km/hr and car seats aren't required (personal choice). You might want to take as many nappies/wipes/formula(if you FF) as you can with you as general everyday items are so expensive. Milk alone is about $10 a litre (slight overexageration). Rarotonga is beautiful, you will love it!
    Thanks for that! So excited. Do you know if you can hire car seats over there? Did you hire a car or just take the island bus?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I've been but not with a child. But honestly, it is the most child friendly place. Places like Cook Islands, Fiji, Samoa etc are very child friendly - I remember there was a babysitting service at the place we stayed at. I found the driving a bit perilous (people sitting in ute trays etc) but if you're hiring your own car with a car seat, you'll be fine. It's a tiny place - you can drive around the main island in a couple of hours. The only thing I'd be wary of is buying food from the supermarket - the main supermarket in Rarotonga isn't air conditioned and I worry about the freshness of food in such warm, humid conditions. But if you eat out you'll be fine. Every restaurant we went to was definitely child friendly.

Have fun - it's such a beautiful place.
    Thanks for that info Moxy! I've heard the pacific islanders absolutely adore kiddies so that's good.
    I think we might have to pack a few packet foods for DS but I'm sure there will be options for him eating out.
    Can't wait

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    I'm jealous.

That is all.
    It's our first time o/s so nervous but really excited!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been to cook islands but I would take some 200ml long life milks (you buy them in packs of 6) and weetbix if he eats them. that way breakfast and any other meal is sorted. I always take vegemite with me too wherever I travel

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister got back two weeks ago, she said it was awesome . And if you go to One Foot Island (I think it was called), you can get a stamp on your passport - she's spewing she didn't take hers on that outing, lol. Enjoy!