+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I think I might be sick.

I've just seen a woman assault her child in the middle of the supermarket.

The boy couldn't have been older than four. He was lying down on the supermarket floor, in eyesight of his mother, being quiet. She yelled at him to get up, and then walked over and leant over him (at which point I thought she was going to lift him up) and in a split second the kid's smiling face turned to fear and his hands flew to his face to shield it.

He was too late though - she slapped him so hard across the face that he actually had red finger marks on his cheek, then grabbed him by one arm and reefed him up onto his feet.

And then ... she turned her attention back to her shopping as if nothing had happened. The kid didn't cry, but looked so sad I just wanted to hug him. Poor little guy.

I don't really agree with smacking in general, but IMO a smack on the bottom to discipline is VERY different to slapping your child across the face with all the force you have.

I really think I might cry. Poor little boy.

I just wanted to get it off my chest.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What an awful thing to witness

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Did you call the police? How horrible to have to watch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never know what to do in these situations. I've seen that happen more than a dozen times while shopping. I seen a woman pick her 3yo up by the hair and throw her in a trolley. It's so terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Did you call the police? How horrible to have to watch
    No I didn't

I feel awful for not taking action. I didn't really know what to do tbh - I was shocked. I did speak to one of the checkout ladies who also saw it, and she said she was going to keep an eye on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the mother feels alright doing that in public, imagine what must go on behind closed doors
    Especially with the body language you described this boy having.
    It didn't sound like its a one off thing

It's hard to say what one can do in a situation like this, once your over the shock it's usually to late to say something.
    Calling the police sounds like a good idea.. But I have to wonder how they would even track this woman down?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry you saw that. If it happens in front of you you are well within your rights to contact the police straight away. They can intervene and see this little boy is not abused any longer. Please keep this in mind if you ever see them again- it might even be worth still reporting as many stores have CCTV- they may be able to identify her, but don't leave it too long!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (24-05-2012),onedayatatime  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hugs shoopuf. The police usually get there pretty quick if you mention a child being assaulted. I've never had luck getting police out quickly if *I* have felt I'm in danger but when I reported a child being assaulted they were quick smart.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How awful. I think the hardest thing about seeing something likie that happen is all of the *could've* *should've* *would've* scenarios that you play over in your mind but are just too stunned to think of at the time. Poor little boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shoopuf, you are a better person than me, I would have gone off my nut!! As someone going through IVF, it breaks my heart to hear these stories. I respect that everyone parents differently but some people have NO idea how lucky they are to have beautiful and innocent children