+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to nicely refuse supplied foods??

So dd kindy has just had a change of name and owners and they are going to supply food.

How do i tell them without offending them that i will continue to supply food for my dd.

She has a long list of allergys which they know of, and have said they will plan around her needs on her days, which is great and thoughtful (though kind of expected)

But i feel it would open a door to too many accidents (no matter how cautious they are in preparing food and drinks) causing dd, me & the kindy teachers unneeded stress.

Also i cook all her foods from scratch as shop prepared stuff also affected her body, behaviour, sleep and so on.

So i feel for dd sake, my peace of mind and so the kindy doesnt have to go to extreme lengths on certain days it would be better to just continue supplying her own lunchbox and drink.

How to i tell them without offending the new director, she was very happy and........cant think of a better word to use then excited - about making it ok for dd to eat their foods, i dont want to seem ungrateful or anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just tell them that I feel better if I supply the food for dd, who is a dairy free, vegetarian coeliac child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    just say due to your daughters allergies you'd prefer to supply her food sure they will be fine with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you have to be very clear that your DD is to eat nothing except food supplied by you. No exceptions.
    Your DDs health is all that matters and your day care need to follow your wishes.
    It does not have to be a confrontation, you could even write a simple letter stating that provided food would be much appreciated IF your DD didn't have allergies however due to this she will only be consuming food provided from her home. Sincerely her mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Yeah i just dont want to offend the new director especially knowing how great and enthusiastic she was about catering to my dd on her days!

It should provide a bit of relief to them aswell knowing they dont have to go to great lengths just to prepare lunch, 1 less lunch- less stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm afraid it may not even be possible, sorry. ds' day care provide food and there are very strict licensing laws around it. We are not allowed anything from outside or the director is up for huge fines. Our food is made off site so if they are making themselves it may be different. Hope so! Good luck : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would just word it exactly how you have written your OP. Thank them for wanting to make the effort, explain you don't mean to offend but you want to address your concerns and would feel more comfortable supplying the food yourself and being less of a "nuisance" (for lack of a better word).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yeah i just dont want to offend the new director especially knowing how great and enthusiastic she was about catering to my dd on her days!

It should provide a bit of relief to them aswell knowing they dont have to go to great lengths just to prepare lunch, 1 less lunch- less stress
    just explain why you are supplying it etc they may ask you for a letter form her paed / doctor just to cover their own butts due to the rules and procedures but other then that legally they can not refuse you bringing your own food given it is a medical condition
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookish View Post
    I'm afraid it may not even be possible, sorry. ds' day care provide food and there are very strict licensing laws around it. We are not allowed anything from outside or the director is up for huge fines. Our food is made off site so if they are making themselves it may be different. Hope so! Good luck : )
    that's not true at all most centers will have no hesitations in allowing it however very few will try and get out of a child bringing in their own food but with a medical certificate they acn not refuse if they get picky

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may vary from state to state. Mine was allowing it until yesterday when they had a council inspection (Brisbane) and were told to stop then and there. Notes came home today. So in some cases it is true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering that also wether they would allow it!

But then i thought well surely they cant ban it because some kids have very strict requirements- i wouldnt think a kindy would be spending extra for 1 or 2 children on certain foods and brands (like my dd can only have certain butter brands and certain types of dairy)

And then the having to prepare it completely seperate so theres no contamination.

I would of thought the kindys would then expect you to supply your own!?

When you think about it that would mean meeting with parents dicussing whats brands and so on, it seems like alot of effort for a kindy.

I guess il find out once i speak with the director.

If some kindys make us supply food and how can they then say you cant bring in your own to a kindy that does supply food. It doesnt make sense to ban it.