+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The biggest study relating to stillbirth included over 170 000 births ( Prospective risk of unexplained stillbirth in singleton pregnancies at term: population based analysis) and does not show a quadrupled rate of stillbirth after 42 weeks. Given that only 1500ish of the 170 000+ went to 43 weeks one would assume the study is already skewed considering a lot of hospitals advocate for induction long before 43 weeks. There were only 4 stillbirths at 43 weeks.

I've just rechecked the cochrane review and wiley library and nothing listed shows these rates. Frankly I think you should be the last person accusing people of twisting facts to suit their own agenda. Nobody could blame anyone for being induced at 42 weeks purely because of dates what such scary misinformation is passed around.
    Missie Mack, unfortunately you have misread what I said.

Stillbirth doubles at 42 weeks.

It doubles again at 43 weeks. Therefore, t his is a quadrupling by 43 weeks (not 42, as you seem to have misread).

Maybe read things through before replying.

eta - I should point out that every stat I've quoted is easily discoverable in medical journals to anyone able to access them and comprehend them.

This thread is not about the stat of stillbirth after x date, it's about the fact that you do NOT have to have a c-section at 10 days over etc - induction is a viable alternative which does not have the rates of rupture that have been irresponsibly bandied about in this thread.

Most women will not go past 14 days past EDD, so it is extremely important to know that induction is an option for them for their vbac. Don't just have a c-sec, especially if you want more children.
    Last edited by Chew the Mintie; 30-05-2012 at 12:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take it outside ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had an appointment with my OB today and he said 10 days over. Looks like I have GD though so he's going to help induce naturally from 38 weeks. If I become insulin dependent though it will be c-section here or VBAC in a hospital an hour away. I'd rather c-section with him though as the other hospital is far from competent in my experiences.

Thanks for replies.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 12-06-2012 at 15:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What suggestions has your OB given for induction? Just curious as I am attempting a vbac in august.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He will do a stretch and sweep, not sure when depending on my GD but before 40 weeks he said. He has also suggested walking up our local lookout which is tough while not pregnant lol, sex (reaching orgasm), acupuncture, and DF is going to take me 4WDriving in his Hilux at a nearby mountain.
    OB is happy for me to try anything that is safe. Obviously nothing like castor oil lol.
    If it were a bigger hospital he'd be happy to induce me but there's limited options where I live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I have a huge amount of experience with c/s and vbacs. Please make your own choices. Your OB doesn't have to allow anything. You are in control and don't let him/her pressure you about "oh your overdue, no induction sorry, c/s it is". I haven't read this thread properly yet but I assume that you have a private OB and can I ask why you chose this path when you want to have a successful vbac? You need an intervention free (well as much as possible) birth/labour and as sad as it is I do not believe that a private OB will allow you to get this.

A little bit of advice.. do not let anyone scare you about uterine rupture or expect you to be a certain amount of cm's every few hours whilst in labour. I was induced with my second and oh my.... NO uterine rupture. I did end up having a c/s again though only cos bub was posterior and got stuck whilst pushing her. But the pressure to have a CS by an OB at my hospital as soon as I was in labour was ridiculous. You gotta ignore it, write a good birth plan, get a doula or have a strong support person with you whilst laboring (not including your partner, have someone in their also who is not related or has an emotional tie).

Edited to say: it seems as I'd your OB is being supportive at the present time. But trust me when I say that things could easily change as soon as you are in labour. I recommend doing some research about OB's and vbac's.
    Last edited by Gruffalo; 12-06-2012 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure how you concluded that but I am through public.
    As I said I have GD and other health issues and because I live rurally and the hospital isn't well facilitated he won't induce, especially as I can't seem to get my blood sugar under control with diet.
    He is happy for me to go into labour naturally up to 10 days over but no longer because of GD increasing risks of a still birth.
    I do have the option of a induced VBAC at a hospital an hour away but the quality of care there in my experience is very poor.
    Only other hospital I could do it at is 4 hours away.

I trust my OB 100% and I know he would be disappointed for me if it was a c-section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally if you have the same OB throughout your pregnancy it is because you are going private. Tis all.

I'm glad you have faith in your OB and I really hope you get your vbac

Thanks
    Reviews
    Small town so only 3 OB's lol.

And thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya - just wonder if you were due yet? Curious. I'm 39 wks today and looking to VBAC. Going public for delivery - midwives seem fine, but also kept on with a private OB who will deliver there, just in case of any late complications (not keen to get stuck with a registrar in training to give me a c-section). Person I'm seeing has said I get 41 weeks to pop bubs out naturally, or I 'get' another c-section!!! If I'm not in labour at 41 wks (as I was not the first time round), I shall simply refuse, bargain for more time, ask for a membrane sweep or something ... had to bargain with different OB for first pregnancy going overdue, too, and that one had absolutely no complications at all ('til the placental abruption halfway through natural labour!!).