+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Is DD the only one who didn't get any sicker after starting daycare or school?

I always see threads about kids getting sick regularly once they start daycare or school.

Thing is, DD did not. She started daycare at 3.5 after not really ever coming into contact with other kids... going 2 times a week. She's now nearly 7 and hasn't really ever seemed more sick than before she attended daycare or school. She's just never been that sick in general.

Is your kid like that, or has DD got a super-dooper immune system? lol. It just seems like every kid seems to get sick because of daycare... except her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You lucky thing (and your lucky DD!) - sounds like she has a great immune system. Unfortunately my DD is one of those kids who got regularly sick when starting daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DS was never a sickly child until he started child care. He caught soooooooooooooo many colds. He only seemed prone to chesty type viruses, not tummy, hand foot mouth etc. Never caught nits or worms and still hasn't.

When he started school it's like the illnesses stopped. Instantly!

Weird because he comes into contact with more children, but I think his immune system has finally developed and got everything out of its system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nah DD has never gotten sicker from daycare or preschool - whether it was when she was full time or part time.

In fact, I can't remember the last time she was sick?

Even when she first started she didn't get that awful run of sickness some kids seem to get. I'm so grateful for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is always sick -he seems to alway have a cold or a snotty nose or a. Stomach ache etc etc and DD is almost never sick. In fact in 5.5 years (2 kinder and 3.5 at school) she has been sick once with gastro and 18 out of 25 kids in her class were sick for 3 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    None of my 3 kids ever got a rush of illnesses when they started preschool/school. They rarely get sick, and if they do it's very mild. They must have really good immune systems!

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    bahhh you people with non sick kids *shakes fist* :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm interested in this.
    Everybody has been going on about how DD1 will be sick constantly now she is in kindy, telling me to get ready for gastro all the time etc - DD1 rarely gets ill, has never had gastro and peoples response to this is always 'wait until she starts school'.
    Well she is in kindy now and no increase in illness but it is still early days. She has been around plenty of kids before with playgroup, story time at the library etc and aside from colds she doesn't really get sick (thankfully as i am hopeless with dealing with illness).
    I think some kids are just more sickly then others and obviously lots of kids = lots of germs so those more prone to catching things will catch more things but it's not inevitable, some kids have better immune systems so won't be stuck down as often or as badly as others.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD1 didn't ever pick up much at daycare and the same goes with school. DD2 often gets a runny nose, but nothing major *touch wood* ... DS was always sick .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine never really was sick, not with any illness like that anyway. She had UTIs or asthma, but her first bout of gastro was after a train ride just before her 3rd birthday, nearly 2 years after starting childcare. She only had it mildly at that and was over it a week before starting back from holidays. She rarely had colds and has never had the flu.