+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Jumping - when, and how to encourage?

DD turned 2 last month. When catching up with friends who have kids around this age, I have come to realise that they can all jump with two feet off the ground. DD seems a long way from being able to do this! So, should I be concerned? How do I encourage her? She has a mini trampoline that she got for her birthday, but isn't really interested in using it yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think they are meant to start jumping with 2 feet off the ground until over 2 will try and find some info to support that

Run, jump, and climb. These gross motor skills really improve over the
    year as a two- year-old's strength and coordination markedly increase. Most 2
    1/2-year-olds can jump off the ground with both feet, and by the time children
    reach their third birthday, they can typically ride a tricycle and balance for
    several seconds on one foot. Draw and color. While it's uncommon for 3-year-olds
    to pay attention to coloring in the lines, the period between 2 and 3 is when
    scribbling generally becomes more deliberate, and children typically learn to
    draw (and recognize) circles. By age 3, many will be able to identify some
    colors.

My little ones started jumping at about 15months but i think thats because they love jumping on beds couches trampolines and off the bottom step lol i wouldn't be concerned my friends had kiddies that didn't jump until closser to 3

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    iv noticed this with ds friends when he was 2. they were all climbing and jumping and being crazy monkys. but ds wasnt. i didnt worry to much. i just let him do it in his own time. just like speaking, he was behind, now caught up very well.

my dd is 2 in june and has started jumping.

just give it time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 2 next month, and I noticed the same thing at her gymnastics class. Most of the kids can jump with 2 feet, but she doesn't. She is also the youngest in the class, so I'm guessing that might be related!

I spoke to the teacher about it and she said there are 3 year olds who still can't jump with both feet, and not to worry about it.

She suggested one way of helping her along (but was very adamant that it wasn't a concern). She said to hold her body and then stand next to her on a low step, and then get her to bend her knees a little (you do the same), and go "1-2-3 jump!" and then jump off the step with her. If you keep doing that then the teacher said they often get impatient waiting for you to jump them, and end up doing it themselves (over time).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is another one of those things that has such a wide age range. My DD has just recently started jumping with two feet off the ground at the same time and she is a little over 2.5yrs. My DS worked jumping out at pretty much the exact same age. No special encouragement, all of a sudden the funny little skipping attempts at jumping turned into actual jumps. I have noticed that kids we know who have a trampoline seem to pick up the skill quicker?