+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default If you have experience in childcare can you please help me with a complaint.

I'm not sure if I have grounds for a complaint or how to go about it but basically I am not entirely happy with the girls childcare centre.

They have only been 3 times in the last 5 weeks due to illness.

I still have to pay (which is standard) but I feel it may be partially their fault.

A was sent home with gastro 5 weeks ago which was the start of it.

They got over it & went back for one day.

The next day L developed a cold and they were off for another week and a bit.

Back to school for one day, and now A has school sores & will be off for another 10 days.

Maybe were just really unlucky, but the girls havnt been doing anything else except going to school. They don't have any little friends, don't do play group, we've been ordering our shopping online etc.

We've only been playing out the back & the little park down the road & no other social things.

I havnt been able to go to work so I don't think I could've given it to them.

Long story short (sorry) im wondering about the hygiene practices at their centre.

Do you think I have the right to inquire/address this & if yes how.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Unfortunately, I don't think you've got a leg to stand on. Little kids are grots, basically. They could all be kept in the most sterile environment ever but they'd still catch and pass on viruses.

I was extremely happy with my son's old centre, every aspect including their hygiene practices. He still got sick regularly, when they are little their immune systems aren't yet developed like ours.

You've every right to enquire if you like, but I think you'll find their standards are fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As someone who is studying CC I can safely say if the proper guidelines are being followed, it certainly isn't the hygiene/cleaning practices of the centre - the standards are VERY strict!

Even if you were to enquire, you will probably be met with the fact children are prone to illnesses due to their not quite developed yet immune systems, and that while the centre takes all care they can't necessarily do much about parents who send sick children in, and that basically you gotta expect that kids will get sick in shared environments. Even most GP's would say that. Mine does.

You can enquire, but my guess is that apart from probably offending the centre management, it probably won't get you any answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honey I understand completely where you're coming from. It's so frustrating when they get ill.. especially when it feels like it's all the time. For the first year of childcare my daughter also used to get sick.. now she hardly ever gets sick so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

If I were you I'd ask to see their hygeine policy. I think like the PP said that you'll find it's all standard and good. The reality is unless you lock every child up in a little box and don't let them out than they are going to spread germs.

Childcare does their best by sending children who appear sick home etc.. what you need to remember is that unfortunately there are parents out there that mask their child's illness with panadol and the like so that they don't have to take time off work.. this can mask the childs symptoms and they could be contagious even though they don't appear to be sick. That is in no way the childcare centres fault.. that's the fault of the parents.

I imagine the childcare workers use gloves when touching the childs noses or changing nappies.. (different pair of gloves between each child of course). The children I imagine would be washing their hands before/after meals, before/after sleep time, before and after eating times and after blowing their nose. Unfortunately childcare workers have lots to do and don't always see the child putting their hands in their mouth etc etc.

Like I said ask to see their hygeine policy... I'd say your children getting sick doesn't have much to do with the hygeine sides of things though unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think you've got a leg to stand on. Little kids are grots, basically. They could all be kept in the most sterile environment ever but they'd still catch and pass on viruses.

I was extremely happy with my son's old centre, every aspect including their hygiene practices. He still got sick regularly, when they are little their immune systems aren't yet developed like ours.

You've every right to enquire if you like, but I think you'll find their standards are fine.

I agree with Benji. Unfortunately kids get sick, despite good hygiene practices. DD was sick so much at childcare last year that she hardly attended! So far the last 2 months have been the best since she started, but I am not looking forward to winter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some bugs spread between children before the child with it shows symptoms as well, so it's not always a case of the children not being sent home. I doubt there's many child care workers who want to care for sick kids nor catch it themselves!!

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    this happens to my 2 all the time. its just kids, they get sick, and its not all their fault, some of it falls on parents who send their littles sick, but i know some of the time that cant be helped, so no blaming going on here. but yea kids are grots like said above, my kids always catch colds and they are on vitamins to try and help (dps choice, i personally think they are just a way for people to make money.) but they still get sick and then they sneeze everywhere and dp (who takes vitamins) is norm the one to get sick to, not me. (i dont take them) im sorry your losing money xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's everyone that all makes sense.

I have seen kids there with snotty (green) noses & really unwell (one baby looked like death- the poor thing)

Maybe that's the point when I should be pointing the kid out and asking why they are at school that day.

Im considering removing them from the centre all together.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWhiteKnight For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (24-05-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yes you should point out those kids. well i think you should anyway lol

if you are not happy with the daycare, you should follow your instinct and find a new one.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a common complaint that sick babies and children do attend day care - but there is very little staff can do about it (apart form calling a child's parents/guardians and requesting that they take their unwell child home)

Children do get sick when exposed to germs - this helps build their immunity. If it doesn't occur during the pre school years, it occurs when they attend school. Unfortunately it's all part of growing up - and yes it is frustrating

By all means, talk to the staff about hygiene practices and procedures (I disagree with PP about offending staff - as a parent you have every right to ask questions......CrazySingleMama84 I hope this is not what you believe about parent complaints