+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 7 mo still not eating solids

My 7mo will not swallow puréed foods or finger foods and we have been trying since 4mHas 120ml bottles 5 times a day sonetimes less mlShe's begun waking at night so needs more food but will not swallow what's in her mouthAny advice please??She will chomp on a rusk but nothing elseI've tried diff textures lumps and temperatures and spoons butNothing!Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They say "food is fun until they're one".

So firstly, please don't stress! My son ate like a trooper. My daughter on the other hand wasn't remotely interested in solids until she was nine months old!
    If you're really worried you can call the child health nurse and they can get you in with a speech pathologist.

Try feeding her in a different location, let her feed herself. Different times, different spoons etc.

But. If she's not ready then it won't make a difference.
    Try not to stress about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's a tongue tie?She was sleeping through the night now wakes so my gut tells me sges not satisfied with milkEven day sleeps She opens her mouth but will not attempt to swallow it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbird View Post
    My 7mo will not swallow puréed foods or finger foods and we have been trying since 4mHas 120ml bottles 5 times a day sonetimes less mlShe's begun waking at night so needs more food but will not swallow what's in her mouthAny advice please??She will chomp on a rusk but nothing elseI've tried diff textures lumps and temperatures and spoons butNothing!Help!
    Advise? Rest up on the food.. She is only 7 months.. Still very young! It'll happen in good time :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be concerned to...my bubs loves his food and he is 6 and a half months, but I can assure you, even with food she will probably still wake! For plenty of other reasons...solids makes a huge change in their belly and they can often wake from that. My baby is getting 3 solid meals a day and still wakes during the night...think he just likes that warm milk!

I would see a doc if you're worried, but if she munches on a rusk, try letting her suck on some steamed pumpkin or sweet potato. Just hold it to her mouth and let her suck on it, ensuring she doesn't get big bits in her mouth. At least she will be getting something in then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd suspect she is not ready for solids. At 7mths, their main form of nutrients should still be comming from formula/breastmilk. She is still so young, i wouldnt push on the solids if she's not interested. Instead, try offer her an extra bottle of formula.
    Give the solids a rest for a week or so. Go back to only formula and then try re-introduce after a break. Baby Led Weaning is great but be prepared for mess!!!!! Maybe even go back to the baby cereal when u introduce solids again, then mix vege/fruit/yoghurt in with it.
    If she was tongue tied, she would be having issues drinking from bottle and it's 'usually' picked up on when they are a newborn.

Goodluck, hang in there. As long as she is drinking her daily needs of milk then i wouldnt be too concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with pp,s, 7 months is still young so try not to worry too much! My advice would be to start including her at meal times - sit her in her high chair with you at dinner time, let her see you eating , let her play with spoons and forks etc and if she shows interest give her some cucumber sticks to gnaw on ( she can gum off the flesh!)or as pp said some steamed sweet potato or even banana , I recommend BLW as well , keep up her milk and she will get there when she is ready!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the repliesShe will only take 4 bottles a day of 120 mls and a dream feedShe won't take extra milk! I'll have a chat to my doc thanks