+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default ADHD in kindy kids and their interaction with other children.

My DS4 is having some issues and I would really like to hear if others are experiencing the same thing.

If your child is a kindy/preschooler and has ADHD or suspected ADHD what is their interaction with other children like in and out of school?

Thankyou so much if you are able to answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 4 and I'm in the process of getting her tested for ADHD or ADD
    She goes to pre prep so still in kindy.
    She doesnt have a lot of problems interacting with other children at kindy but does seem to be the other children that have some behavioural problems also!!
    At home she can get rough and very nasty to her siblings!!
    At this point in time as I'm still in the process of having her tested I don't have much advice!! She can be a real handful at times!!
    Big hugs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is diagnosed Aspergers so I can't help specifically about the adhd.. I just wanted to ask if you suspect adhd have you sought a diagnosis? It's always way way way better to get an early diagnosis, before prep is pivotal. Allied health professionals can then help, especially occupational therapists.. As most adhd issues are sensory related. Hope you find the answers you're looking for :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My eldest really struggled to build friendships in kindy/PP although he wasn't diagnosed til yr1. His temper outbursts would upset other kids even though he was never violent towards other people he would scream and bang his hands on his desk etc. he was known by the other kids as 'the naughty boy'
    Once he was diagnosed and we started medication things really improved for him. He has a close network of good friends now which is lovely. One of the decoding factors for us to use the meds was because he was seriously struggling socially and in doing his school work (he rarely completed any work).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou Jemma. Goodluck with your daughter as well

We are speaking with professionals thanks Happy. Thankyou for the good advice

Really would just love someone to tell me what it is like for them with their child and their interaction with other children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Myztik, do you mind if I PM you about this?

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No not at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, she's not in Kindy and hasn't been diagnosed with ADHD as yet (we have an appointment end of July) but DD2 (8.5yrs) does have some issues friends wise we have realised. She's not naughty in any way at school but will just sit in class and not do her work until the teacher reminds to her actually do it. She has had some other problems too.

She has plenty of friends but no close ones really. One on one she is fine, no problems at all. But in a school environment we realised she wont just play with one friend. I thought she was say playing with one friend at recess and another at lunch but it's more than that. She will start to play with one friend, then change her mind and play with someone else. The longest she will play with someone is when she plays with her twin sister.

I saw it for myself at sport last term. While the older kids were playing their game the younger ones were allowed to play in their spot under the trees. One friend M asked her to play ball with her so she jumped up to play, they threw a few balls then suddenly she ran off leaving M. M asked her what she was doing as she hadn't even said anything, just ran off. She had decided to go sit with E instead. Then she went from E to V then V to say hello to me and back to play ball with M again. It made me dizzy just watching her and she did that numerous times while I was watching. There was just too many choices of what to do and she kept changing her mind.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 24-05-2012 at 18:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 22 now but I remember his school years well. He didn't read social cues, he would butt into conversations or trail off when talking, he was rough but not deliberately (I used to say a cuddle session with him was like going 6 rounds with Mike Tyson). He didn't understand turn taking or valuing other peoples property.

He made silly noises and couldn't sit still, he was a smash and crash type of kid that other kids didn't take well to at all. He was also sought out by bullies and was easilly led. They would sneakilly pick on him until he retaliated then he'd be the one to be caught, or they'd dob on him. They also got him to do stupid and dangerous things.

If he saw a group of kids playing he would just join in whether he was invited or not, he also would attach himself to people... meaning he'd fixate on anyone who showed an interest in him. He grew up with no close friends.

School broke my heart... it seemed to dull the sparkle in his eyes. They expected him to conform when that just wasn't possible.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Prickle For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (24-05-2012)

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Prickle. That made me teary I can totally relate.