+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trouble feeding from breast or bottle now but used to be fine?

DD is almost 6 months old now. Started off a great feeder. No problems at all. At about 3 months though she started to get really fussy. I thought she might be teething but no teeth yet. She now has to be really hungry and even then it can be a struggle sometimes. I tried going into the bedroom and keeping it dim. That helps a bit but it doesn't help when we go out and it's hardly practicle with 2.5yo DS running about and needing me around. Over this time she has also become a lot worse at taking a bottle of ebm. DH used to feed her every week or two from about 6 weeks so she knew what it was and maybe I'd go out and have some me time for a couple of hours. Last time I tried she would not even take a drop and things were not happy when I got home. So probably not going to be able to do that again for a while. I love my kids dearly but I would also really like to go out to dinner with my husband and have a few hours together but it's just not possible. It's getting to be a bit of a problem and I'm not sure what I can do about it. Oh, and she also even prefers the left breast over right.

???Ideas anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's hard sometimes to know what's wrong with babies. Does panadol help? My lil girl had a few days of off n on again screaming. She was hungry but wouldn't take the breast. I was just persistent. I got her to take the ebm then quickly put her on the breast. Maybe she is teething..... Does she get red cheeks, won't sleep probably?
    Hope it all calms down for u soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    An LC told me that if my DD started fussing at the breast at about that age to introduce solids. But I'd probably talk to one about the problems your having first. There are a few free lactation clinics around Melbourne that could help if your Vic based.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    the part where you mentioned her prefering the left over the right - does she need to see an osteopath/baby chiro? cos feeding could be causing her discomfort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your posts ladies and sorry for my delay in getting back on here, it's been one of those weeks .

Panadol and bojela do seem to help, she does occassionally have red cheeks and is having ore trouble sleeping than she did before. That's what has made me think she is teething. It's just the chronic lack of teeth after such a long time that is making me doubt that.

she's really close to 6 months so we'll be starting food in about a week anyway so perhaps that will help a bit .

Over the last week we had some sall success. We tried a different bottle and DH got her to take a small feed. I also thought that perhaps some of my lack of success feeding may be because I'm trying to feed her too often when she's grissly for other reasons so I made a real effort to leave it atleast 3 hours unless I was sure or had tried everything else. That has made quite a difference. The problem has not gone but improvement is good.

I guess we'll keep going like this for a bit and if there's no teeth in another few weeks it ay be tie for a lactation consultant or osteo.