+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone been to Fiji?

Hi Girls!

I am 26, hubby is 25 and we are expecting our 3rd bub..
    I told my Husband he could go to America last year for 2 weeks with his friends and now he has told me I can pick for us to go on a holiday and pick hotel etc..

I want to go to Fiji though I would like somewhere close to a surfing beach, I ws thinking the Shangi-La though I want something that is traditional and not just the same modern hotel everywhere you go..

Any of you have any tips, I also want our kids (2 and 5) to have th best family holiday..

Any tips, where to book, who to fly with would be great. I will be around 5 months when we are expecting to go and also want to know if it will be safe for my bubs..

Thanks lovely ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    We went to Figi last year and loves it. It would have to be the most family friendly destination that I have been too.
    We stayed at The Hideaway. It was only 3 star but 5 star service I found. It wasn't on a surfing beach at all though.
    It had little bungalows for accommodation which was nice too.
    We flew jetstar but only because we are staff would have preferred Air Pacific!!
    I was also 5 months pregnant when we went so no problem there!
    The only thing I hated was the resorts / accommodation is so far away from the airport. You have at least a 1-3 hour car ride to get to any of the resorts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been before bub and we stayed at the shangri-la. We loved it and can't wait to take our children. The fijians are wonderful with kids and they seem to love them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go to Castaway or Cousteau.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just came back. We stayed on Taveuni island which is stunning. Great for divers although we are not. Anywhere you go will be great, the islands are probably more "traditional" and less commercial. You should try to visit a local village if you can.

Not sure about where there might be a surfing beach.

Check out trip advisor before you go for reviews of accommodation - you don't want to end up somewhere grotty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am a travel agent (shudder!! lol)

I would suggest anywhere on Denarau Island, the Westin is more traditional than the Shangri La but both beautiful hotels. Shangri La's rooms are very tight. The Naviti Resort is great for families and their all inclusive packages are fantastic. Your husband can drink all day at the swim up bar and the kids cant eat and drink soft drink all day.
    I would defiantly recommend Air Pacific they have really good packages with all the Resorts. Virgin Australia is great but you have to purchase all your food and drinks once in the air which can get frustrating.

If you want anymore info feel free to message me. (good tip: try to stay away from travel agents. They are too expensive.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissCandi For This Useful Post:

JNC_B2012  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stayed at the Outrigger and it was AMAZING!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We went 2 years ago and as we only had 5 days we stayed on the mainland. The resort we stayed at was only about 20 minutes drive from the airport. Was called First Landing Resort.

Was lovely. We stayed in a bure (sp?) right on the beach. The staff and service were wonderful. Resort was intimate and private. Very quiet.

We had a wonderful time and would love to go back sometime soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are going with kids I would say stay on the main island as boat trips can be tricky especially when there aren't many per day.

We stayed at the warwick and we loved it. It's very family oriented and the kids club is amazing.

Fiji itself is pretty depressing but te resorts are amazing.

We went when we didn't have our baby and had a great time, I can't wait to take dd there.

We're going in august to shangri-la for BIL wedding and im sure it will be just as wonderful.

I haven't heard any bad things at any of the resorts so pretty much take your pick.

We flew with virgin and had great flights.
    Book Transfers as their taxis are dodgy- picture a 1980s corolla...

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely recommend both the Sofitel and Sheraton at Denarau, and have heard the Radisson is great. But MissCandi is correct - the Westin has a more authentic Fijian look. Denarau is good because there's variety and choice in where you go to eat (the other resorts as well as restaurants at the marina), it is only a short journey from the airport and it is easy to go on day trips to the islands etc, from the marina. The downside is that isn't really a usable beach.

The Coral Coast is further away, but still on the main island. This is where the Shangri-La, Intercontinental, Outrigger and some other resorts are. The intercontinental is VERY nice. They all have beaches, not sure if they're surfing beaches though.

Or you can go to a smaller island. Prob better beaches and snorkelling, and a real Fijian experience - but harder to get to/from, and you're captive to their food. Often the food can be from buffets - you want to be careful about that, being pregnant.

I wouldn't worry too much about which airline and whether any food/drink is included. It's a short trip - about 3.5 hrs from Sydney anyway. I guess small kids need to be considered in that respect more than adults though.

We're going to Fiji again ourselves in August - very exciting!