Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Glucose tolerance test

Just had my gtt done the 2 hour test.
    I failed.
    Results after 1 hr were 9.7
    Results at 2 hr were 9.7

I'm now monitoring bloods 4 times a day.
    Might have to take insulin if my levels when testing go crazy.

What was everyone's elses levels at testing gtt?

Any experiences as well with baby and glucose tolerance

Thanks
    Reviews
    My level with ds #2 was 14.... I refused medication, altered my diet and we both lived lol he was 4.1kg though !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure what mine was but i did manage it very well through diet. I was DEVASTATED when i failed but as i got used to everything it was no big deal at all.

DS was born perfect even at 4 weeks early (due to pre-eclampsia) he was 5lb10oz, so i suppose he would have been 'normal' weight at full term anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did mine this week and just did the 1 hour one.
    My level was 4.1 after the hour.
    I have never had GD, but do have big babies! All between 4.2-4.6kg!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 2 GTT's this pregnancy as I was measuring big. I passed my first then 4 or so weeks later I failed. I was still fine after 1 hour but after 2 hours I was 10.3. I have been on the diet, testing 4 times a day like you not for 3 weeks and have only had 1 high reading. It is actually getting easier the further along I get. Today after lunch I had half of DS passionfruit slice and was still well below 2 hours later. In the last week I haven't been above 5.8 but at the beginning I had a few 6- 6.8 readings. The diet isn't as hard as you think. Oh and make sure you exercise. I always have a cup of milo (its ok to drink and calms my chocolate craving) before bed and my fasting levels have never been high, although I have heard it doesn't work for some people.

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with DD, and I have it again with this one.

With DD, after 2 hours levels were 11.4. It was all diet controlled and i had a natural birth, with DD weighing 6lb6oz. They had to test her sugars every few hours, but she was fine.

This pregnancy, I had the gtt early, at 16 weeks and my levels after 2 hours were 8.6. I have to test 6 times a day, and so far using diet control, my levels have been great. I've only had a couple of minor spikes, which the hospital are not worried about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had GD with both of my pregnancies (sort of). I had it with my 1st pregnancy, diagnosed at 30 weeks (normal test at 25 weeks). I was on insulin by 32 weeks (just with meals) as no matter what I did, my sugars went sky high especially after breakfast. It was SO frustrating that I followed all the dietary advice and yet I still needed insulin. Apparently, that's just what happens sometimes. Insulin was a relief actually, cause it controlled my sugars and I no longer had to stress. My ds was born at 38+3 (I was induced as I had GD on insulin) and he was 4kg. He had breathing issues at birth, but they are unrelated to GD and just 'one of those things'. I'm glad I didn't carry him to term as he was so big .

I had the GTT test SO many times in my 2nd pregnancy (5 years after my 1st) as my Ob couldn't believe I didn't have GD. I thought when I had a normal test at 28 - 30 weeks he'd stop ordering them, but no, he wanted another one at 34 weeks. I got really sick around that time and delayed the test as long as possible, but in the end I did it 3 days before my appt with my Ob (I was 35 weeks) and I hit the cut-off point (just hit it, didn't go over) on 1 of the readings only. So, technically I met the criteria for GD, but my Endo said it probably wasn't 'real' GD and not to worry too much. My sugars were great and I didn't need insulin. Ironic, cause I was 5 years older, 8kg heavier and less active than my last pregnancy and yet my sugars were better - go figure! My sugars did creep up in the last week of my pregnancy, but only mildly. I was induced at 39+3 cause I had a big baby and sure enough she was 4.4kg and I had shoulder dystocia (she got a broken collar bone). BUT, it seems big babies are a genetic thing with me, not related to GD, cause apparently it takes many weeks of high sugars to 'make' big babies and I certainly didn't have that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD with DD and was diagnosed at 28 weeks. Growth wise she was 5 weeks ahead. I was testing 6 times a day and in under a week I was insulin dependent 4 times a day. Even though I stuck to my diet my sugared were all over the show and from 34 weeks on I was in and out of hospital. I was induced at 38+1 and she came at 38+4. I wasn't allowed to go past 39. I had cervidil the first day nothing happened, gel the next day got a couple of contractions, 3rd day more gel got some good contractions overnight but they stopped at breakfast. I was dilated enough to break my waters and she was born that arvo. My levels went back to normal straight away and DD tested low once in 12hrs but had no other GD related issues. My ultrasound 2 days before she was born showed that her growth was spot on - that's the main benefit of good diabetes management

This time around trying to avoid a repeat of my first pregnancy I changed my habits as soon as I knew I was pregnant. No chips chocs etc and more fruit and veg. This time I was testing by 18 weeks as I had been feeling light headed and dizzy but passed my GTT. Within 2 weeks I was insulin dependent again but only having insulin morning and night. Am now 32+4 weeks in and as long as I have a decent diet and enough protein then things are pretty steady. No hospital admissions so far WOOOHOOOO stoked about that!!! Will be induced again between 38-39 weeks for which I'm grateful as have quite severe back and pelvic pain this time round.

GD isn't the end of the world and through good management whether it be diet or insulin or both you can still have a good pregnancy. I know this one has been easier than my first.

I was borderline with my GTT the first time around too....

and best of luck