+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds1 also only gets short moments with the iPad or iPhone as a distraction. I have heard people comment on the sly and have even had face to face comments such as "oh my. He is better on that thing then me."

Funny thing is at first I just Downloaded things with sounds and bright colours as a distraction. I never taught him to play angry birds or any other apps I have since downloaded for him. He teaches himself. (might I add he plays learning games that involve memory, spelling and other educational qualities). He is 2.5yo and I'm proud of how smart he is . He still loves the outdoors and helping with things just as any other child does so all I can gather from this is that it's enhancing his intellect as a child and there is nothing wrong with it .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm curious as to how you involve your child in a really long queue where there isn't anything to do?

I get my son to help wherever possible and involve him in our day to day lives, however my expectations about his behaviour are quite low...in that I don't expect him to "behave" (or any other young child for that matter). They just don't have the attention span. So I use distraction I prefer not to bring him to the post office, but when I do, there is only so much he can help with and there is a whole lot of waiting around (damn you post office - employ some more people already!!)

(P.s.: i'm not having a go at you, just genuinely curious. We all parent differently )
    My son is four so we just talk or I point things out to him and it goes smoothly.. long lines don't make things hard so much as when I'm on mission in a busy place. Again, I have always just tried to involve him and then normally if he is pretty good most of the time (not perfect but doesn't smash
    Any displays or steal a car) then we go to the playground after. when he was younger I used to keep him in the trolley or pram and sometimes it was really awful because he just wanted to escape the whole time. I never owned any expensive gadgets then so it was just a matter of having to "control" him by talking about things he could see etc. There have absolutely been times such as when I have had to get a million documents signed where I have given him a sticker book to do and I see that as no different to an iPad etc as they are pretty educational and interactive too. But I will never make a habit of it because I think there is a lot to be gained for him by having to participate such as learning to sit quietly for a few minutes, counting when we put things through a check out, chatting to other people in the queues.. but like I said.. while its not my first choice, I get it and don't judge anyone else

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

ToughLove  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Yes, I have to make sure I don't use it too often or it doesn't work, the novelty is important.

It's all well and good to say you can teach them to behave, but a 12mo doesn't understand that at all. All they know is 'oh colours, oh I want to pick that up and try to eat it, oh there's a person I want to babble to, oh that person walked out of the shop, I want to follow them'.
    Yes I agree with that totally. my eleven month is always strapped to me when I have stuff to do and I find this honestly ten times easier than any form of distraction. I can only imagine she would be needing me to help her, dropping the game or book etc. Like anyone, even those using an iPod etc.. I try to keep outings where I have errands to do pretty short because little kids and babies have short attention spans and get bored easily.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sure it will be different once I have another, but I've never had to do the distraction thing with DD.

When she was a toddler, sure, I didn't expect her to stand in a line and be perfect. But from about the age of 2 + 1/2 upwards I did.

She has to learn to be quiet and well behaved in public some time, and the earlier that appropriate social behaviour is taught, the easier it is to practise when older.

In saying that, I also recognise that there are kids that cannot stand still, and it's not a discipline issue. They are more distracted, more active, just...more! And they can't stand still without bursting out after a few minutes. There's plenty of adults like this.

I'm also sure that as punishment for being proud of DD and insisting on good behaviour in public, I'll have a highly energetic and distracted child next time and will have to whip out the phone!

DD is going to DH's graduation from his degree and I'm sure as heck taking along a colouring wallet, candy, portable dvd player and dvds...I'm not going to kid myself that a five year old can sit through a 3 hour graduation ceremony without needing a bit of help from good old Rugrats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I do it sometimes, but I also find it not a good idea despite that. I remember being a kid and we just had to WAIT. We had to occupy ourselves when we were bored... by daydreaming or something. I often notice that DD will be like, "Well what can I do?" when we're waiting for something and I feel like screaming, "I dunno, how about sit there and just wait?" The need to entertained all the time freaks me out tbh. I don't like it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (24-05-2012)