+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought one of those fisher price ipod docks and downloaded the fisher price apps and regularly use it to keep DS entertained while we are out if he becomes bored.

I don't see the difference in him playing with that or with a toy, or a book.

Years ago, back in the good old days Mum's often had their own Mum, sister, aunt, neighbour etc to help look after their children while they did errands. Communities ran as little tribes and everyone helped one another. These days women are expected to do it all on their own and then get criticised and judged when they try and make things a little easier on themselves.

What is better? A child bored, running around and getting into everything while Mum stresses out and becomes run down and angry...or even a smack? I prefer the ipod or ipad approach!

My DS has loved TV and computer screens since he was little. I don't let him zone out in front of it by himself all day, but he LOVES it when he does watch it. Playschool, Giggle and Hoot, Thomas....and sometimes we sit down together and watch youtube music videos. He loves Xavier Rudd and Ash Grunwald . He even loves the nat geo channel. And I don't care what others think.

For the most part of the day he is very active, plays outside, reads books, has heaps of educational toys and knows a huge amount of words for his age.

How do you know, your child might be the next Bill Gates or big TV presenter? You'd never find that out unless they were aloud to watch a screen

Everything in moderation I say....and what ever makes your job easier as a Mum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mel6280 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    We'll be travelling on the train and bus from 8am to 6pm for holidays. I will be loading up an ipad for DS who is 3. I am also thinking about buying headphones so everyone else doesnt get annoyed listening to hi5 and shaun the sheep on replay.

Either that or he will be screaming from boredom.
    We have the means to keep him happy and entertained so im choosing the ipad option.
    Oh my exception to my own rule is long trips. We flew with tiger a while ago thinking we could handle the fact that they aren't as kid friendly and don't have the TVs and kids stuff and it was a horrible horrible decision lol. Never again, we went with Qantas next time and it was ten times better

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my son play with my phone all the time, it keeps him happy for all of 5 mins! :-) but sometimes thats enough to get what I need done. Whats peoples thoughts on the health risks of children playing with phones? I have heard some bad things in relation to cancer risks.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I don't own an iPad. But no I'm not a fan of doing that .. I try and teach both my kids how to behave in public instead of using distractions like games or food. When we go shopping my ds aged four likes to "help" me and also likes looking at all the products. When we go to cafes etc as a family we involve the kids rather than expecting them to sit quietly and if I need to have a good chat with a friend and focus on shopping I don't bring the kids.. However both kids have always been really full on so its certainly not easy and I have had some extremely stressful days out. I feel the need to add a disclaimer. That is what I choose to do and I dont harshly judge others who are different.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    I'm curious as to how you involve your child in a really long queue where there isn't anything to do?

I get my son to help wherever possible and involve him in our day to day lives, however my expectations about his behaviour are quite low...in that I don't expect him to "behave" (or any other young child for that matter). They just don't have the attention span. So I use distraction I prefer not to bring him to the post office, but when I do, there is only so much he can help with and there is a whole lot of waiting around (damn you post office - employ some more people already!!)

(P.s.: i'm not having a go at you, just genuinely curious. We all parent differently )
    Last edited by Witwicky; 24-05-2012 at 10:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    Mel - we've got one of those cases aswell - they're great!

Btw although I give my phone to my DS it doesn't mean that he'll sit there for hrs on end playing/watching movies - it works as a distraction for 30 mins tops and then he gets bored lol.
    Yes, I have to make sure I don't use it too often or it doesn't work, the novelty is important.

It's all well and good to say you can teach them to behave, but a 12mo doesn't understand that at all. All they know is 'oh colours, oh I want to pick that up and try to eat it, oh there's a person I want to babble to, oh that person walked out of the shop, I want to follow them'.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (24-05-2012),Witwicky  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Peppa Pig on my iPhone is a life saver when out to lunch/dinner or anywhere that requires them to sit still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add, i'm going on a really long plane flight very soon and that Ipad is going to be my BFF. I have purposefully kept it away so that the novelty is VERY strong when it comes time for the trip...and i'm going to be whipping that baby out at the first sign of boredom Judge away, fellow passengers, judge away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I should add, i'm going on a really long plane flight very soon and that Ipad is going to be my BFF. I have purposefully kept it away so that the novelty is VERY strong when it comes time for the trip...and i'm going to be whipping that baby out at the first sign of boredom Judge away, fellow passengers, judge away
    Lol... I think most will be sighing with relief.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Witwicky, I daresay you and ALL the other parents on the flight will be whipping out the Ipads, don't think you have to worry about judgements!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

True, true.