+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default "Girls on the grill" the today show

There was a section on the today show called "girls on the grill". During this section they spoke about children behind tv screens. The conversation led to talking about a mother in a post office with her child, roughly 12 months old, holding an iPad watching a movie.

My view on this is that as a parent sometimes you have to find a way to entertain your child in order to get the most simple of things done and there is nothing wrong with this.

What are your views?

ETA

I also use my iPhone or iPad to entertain my DS1 when he is bored in a situation where I need to get things done or can't have him running around like the tornado he is
    Last edited by Confucius; 24-05-2012 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Preferable to the child running out, pulling stock over, screaming because it's bored...

I find it stressful taking both my babies to places where we have to line up for a small period, even worse at the post office where I usually have one hand occupied.

DS has an iTouch that I take with me most of the time, it's great to whip out when I need to calm them down or redirect their attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Completely agree. I will often hand my 3 year old my iPhone to play games of we are waiting at a Drs or something is taking a long time and have done since she was about 18 months. If we go out to dinner we usually take the iPad specifically for her as her meal comes first and then she is bored by the time adult mains have even arrived and I spend the entire time telling her to behave. iPads have some really educational aps on them and I don't see how me letting her play a drawing or puzzle game on the iPad is any different from taking crayons and toys to a restaurant, just cleaner. Just because you may see my DD playing the iPad at a restaurant for an hour does not mean I let her mind numbingly sit in front of it or tv all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't have an issue with it.

Sounds like the child was being kept amused whilst their mother performed mundane but necessary errands.

Lucky 12 month old - I want an ipad

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

sandy_1902  (24-05-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see any problems with handing your child a Ipad or something to play with so you can get some chores done, at the doctors etc etc. It doesn't hurt and it helps them learn as well.

No issue's with it here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We'll be travelling on the train and bus from 8am to 6pm for holidays. I will be loading up an ipad for DS who is 3. I am also thinking about buying headphones so everyone else doesnt get annoyed listening to hi5 and shaun the sheep on replay.

Either that or he will be screaming from boredom.
    We have the means to keep him happy and entertained so im choosing the ipad option.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My views are that it was probably my son

He is spirited.

My son + post office = baaaaaad.

ETA: I would offer it if he wasn't spirited. I think it's unrealistic to expect a young child to patiently wait while the parent completes tasks. If an iPad helps with that - awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    My views are that it was probably my son
    I had the same thought when I heard Lisa on the show.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Post Offices are the bane of my life with kids in tow, especially our local one. All that 'eye candy' for kids, books, toys, trinkets, glassware spread throughout the store is just so stressful when you're doing your business and you have little ones in tow. I also have a super cranky/kid despising Post Office owner, so he freaks when kids come in and is not adversed to telling them off. That's not to say my kids run amok, far from it, if they as much as 'approach' the shelves he will say something.

So all that said, if I saw a Mum give her child something to occupy them, I would think more power to her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't own an iPad. But no I'm not a fan of doing that .. I try and teach both my kids how to behave in public instead of using distractions like games or food. When we go shopping my ds aged four likes to "help" me and also likes looking at all the products. When we go to cafes etc as a family we involve the kids rather than expecting them to sit quietly and if I need to have a good chat with a friend and focus on shopping I don't bring the kids.. However both kids have always been really full on so its certainly not easy and I have had some extremely stressful days out. I feel the need to add a disclaimer. That is what I choose to do and I dont harshly judge others who are different.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub