+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe that the biggest issue with caffeine is if you have high blood pressure as it can exacerbate this. So if you have a family history of high blood pressure/pre-eclampsia, I would cut it out entirely. Otherwise 1-2 cups a day seems to be acceptable.

Unlike alcohol, where is proven negative impact on the development of the baby's brain and body (eg. fetal alcohol syndrome), or soft cheese which poses a listeria risk - which breeds like wild-fire in the placenta and puts the baby at immediate risk - the risks with caffeine seem a lot less.

I would treat energy drinks with caution as they often contain other additives such as guarana (which is mostly caffiene anyway) and taurine (no idea what this does). There are also some vitamins that should be limited during pregnancy (A?) which could be added.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I agree, was just interested in why Hunkamunka saw them as dangerous.
    I totally think they can be dangerous, but not in a small amount like that. I was drinking up to 8 tins a day at one stage- now THAT'S a dangerous amount. ***** I will stress I was NOT pregnant at the time****

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why anyone would want to put the crap that's in energy drinks into their pregnant bodies is beyond me. Ayways to answer why energy drinks r dangerous:
    **Caffeine and Guarana (a fancy name for caffeine) are of particular concern. Caffeine can increase the risk of miscarriage with only 100 mg consumed per day. Energy drinks can have as much as 200 mg of caffeine per serving. The risk of miscarriage increases proportionately with the amount of caffeine consumed.
    There is no proof energy drinks work to increase energy through any function other than through the supply of caffeine to the body.

**referenced from a babymed site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst energy drinks with that level of caffeine exist, they're illegal in Australia. Although, I suppose it depends what you mean by a serving.

Under our food standards, Standard 2.6.4 (Formulated Caffeinated Beverages) requires a level between 145 mg/L and 320 mg/L. At the highest legal level then, you'd be drinking over 600ml to get 200mg/.

Secondly, results of studies are widely varied at this point. Some show increased risks for low levels of caffeine (around 200mg), some show no increase. This may well have to do with the methodologies of the studies. Could you link me to the study which they use for their 100mg figure? I've never seen a level that low given as potentially harmful.

I agree that there's nothing beneficial in energy drinks, but in terms of their other ingredients it's really no different to eating any processed foods when pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkamunka View Post
    Why anyone would want to put the crap that's in energy drinks into their pregnant bodies is beyond me. Ayways to answer why energy drinks r dangerous:
    **Caffeine and Guarana (a fancy name for caffeine) are of particular concern. Caffeine can increase the risk of miscarriage with only 100 mg consumed per day. Energy drinks can have as much as 200 mg of caffeine per serving. The risk of miscarriage increases proportionately with the amount of caffeine consumed.
    There is no proof energy drinks work to increase energy through any function other than through the supply of caffeine to the body.

**referenced from a babymed site.
    I agree that energy drinks are certainly not ideal when pregnant. Interestingly, when I was pregnant with my first, my OB had no issues with me drinking a can of 'V' every day. There is alot less than 100mg of caffeine in one can. I didn't take his advice, and significantly reduced my consumption of energy drinks during my pregnancy, but still averaged 1 a week/fortnight. That said, it's not really the caffeine that worries me in energy drinks....rather some of the other ingredients .

Also, isn't it 200mg of caffeine a day that increases the risk of miscarriage? Or am I remembering wrong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I avoided caffeine as much as possible during the first trimester as I had read that caffeine increases the risk of miscarriage (I'm sorry I don't have anything to reference that as I can't remember where I read it, and in any case, it was only a slight increase) but drank coke and tea every so often during the rest of my pregnancy. I don't drink coffee so it didn't affect me too much.

One thing to keep in mind after bub is born and if you are breastfeeding - watch your caffeine intake! I hadn't really thought about it and drank quite a bit of coke one day, and poor DS was wired the next .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definatley each to their own with this. I myself drink energy drinks and coffee everyday to stay awake did so during first pregnancy too and have a perfectly healthy 9 month old. My doctors know and they don't mind as I get horrific morning sickness and sometimes that's all I can hold down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing to remember is the more bad habits you hav while pg, ie, poor sleeping habits, smoking, eating a lot of junk, and drinking a lot of cofee, the more of an impact each habit has. They all compound each other. So whereas one cup of coffee may be fine, a cuppa, a few ciggies and crappy sleep may not be at all helpful. I was one of the only ones in my peer group who wasn't put off by the smell of cofee in early pg. I drank 3 espresso's a day, and for a plethora of unknown reasons, had a Placental Abruption in my first and only pg. Caffeine is also contraindicated for Placental Abruption as well as high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia issues. So I had to swear off the stuff. All docs have different opinions about how much coffee is too much. So play it by ear, stop drinking it if it is contraindicated for any reason. Bottoms up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I limit myself to one morning coffee (instant so around 80 grams of caffeine) that way if I decide to have a bit of chocolate or a can of coke then I know I'm still under the limit

I used to drink heaps of caffeinated drinks (mainly coke and coffee), so I had a pretty hard few weeks after I found out I was pregnant . I prefer not to go above the guide lines though, I read somewhere (can't remember which baby book it was ) that said there can be a risk of neurological issues if you do have too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    with DD's pregnancy - I drank 1 cup of coffee a day (occ 2 if I was flat out busy/tired) and when bfing her - she didnt get upset by it at all.

I put it down to the fact she was exposed to small levels of caffiene in utero and developed some kind of resistance to it.

with this pregnancy the smell of some coffee makes me want to vomit so I am having coffee 2-3times a week. so Im guessing new bubba might be more sensitive to it.

which is a pity cos when you are up all night with a screaming child a coffee can make you feel a whole lot better.

in response to hte OP - 1-2 coffee/coke a day should be fine should you have no medical history that contraindicates it.