+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reading Eggs

The reading eggs program looks like fun. I know plenty of kids that have dabbled and parents who say their kids have done the program. Has anyone actually noticed a difference to their child's learning based on the program?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely. I recommend it to anyone who'll listen. I am a teacher, but mostly work with older primary kids, so while I may do a little more 'teaching' to read every day with DD than some parents - I do credit the majority of DDs reading ability to Reading Eggs.

She's 4 and 4 months and has been using it for about a year. She needed to sit on my lap at the start and pointed to the screen and I did the mouse, but now uses it 80% independently (so you need to be 'around' while she's on it).

She can recognise nearly every letter and knows its name and sound. She's just started to sound out words she finds in texts/signs etc and knows around 6 sight words (the, see, zoo... etc). She tested as one of the highest in her kindy (4yo) class and the teacher agrees that she's ready to start doing take-home readers.

She's always had good fine motor skills though so a lot of the learning she does on there she then applies to writing - so this may help her as writing can consolidate a lot of the knowledge. (remember the saying "write it down so you remember it"!)

When I started the free trial they sent me heaps of special offers, I just waited til one came up that suited me then signed up for the year.
    Last edited by Stretched; 23-05-2012 at 22:47. Reason: Teachers can't spell ;)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (24-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thank you. My dd can't use my laptop well, but I friend just showed me Iswifter for iPads. It seems pretty good as DD is competent with the swipe finger use of an iPhone so I'm thinking of dedicating our usual quiet time (cue babies sleeping) to reading eggs. Seems weird to be encouraging use of a computer/screen instead of reading but hey - it sounds like it works.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Oooh I agree with stretched- I'm also a teacher, and my boys are only 3 and a half, but they love navigating their way through reading eggs and investigating each letter. We also use the program at school, as our grade 1's this year (preps last year) were all working at a very low level, and we found it had impressive results with them too- better than other programs we had paid for. I even use the older version (reading eggspress) in my senior school classroom- and I love playing it too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Awesome thank you. My dd can't use my laptop well, but I friend just showed me Iswifter for iPads. It seems pretty good as DD is competent with the swipe finger use of an iPhone so I'm thinking of dedicating our usual quiet time (cue babies sleeping) to reading eggs. Seems weird to be encouraging use of a computer/screen instead of reading but hey - it sounds like it works.
    I can't seem to find the iswifter app? Can you direct me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had to giggle when you asked if anyone had actually noticed a change in my child after using Reading Eggs. The answer is a BIG YES! He can read and he can read well and sound out words he doesn't know and he can use the computer well, etc, etc, etc. I cannot recommend Reading Eggs highly enough!

I started using Reading Eggs with my 3.5yo ds and as he didn't have the computer skills, but was desperate to learn how to read I did the computer side of things on my laptop with him on my lap. We did it that way for maybe 4 or 6 months. Some of the games require quite a high level of mouse skills, and not doing well isn't necessarily a reflection of not knowing the answers, simply not being able to click & drag the mouse in the way that you need to quickly enough. But from the age of 4 my ds has been doing it all himself (with a mouse though, not a trackpad - that's too difficult).

My ds has gone through phases with Reading Eggs, sometimes wanting to do it all day every day (it's a challenge to keep him off the computer for the majority of those days) and then at other times he'll go for months without wanting to do it. I just let him dictate what he wants to do.

It's great cause it's not just lessons, but heaps of games and books and songs and all sorts of things to keep kids entertained, yet learning at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, definitely. We got a subscription through school- DS1 has started school this year- he is 5. It suppliments his reading and there is alot of repetition. We are going to start it with DS2 who is 4 so he can be familiar before he starts school.