+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Acupuncture in late pregnancy

I'm 35+3 and going for a VBAC this time after an emergency csar with DS. I've booked myself in for weekly acupuncture from 36 weeks onwards to assist with making sure the baby is in the right position (has previously been breech and DS was posterior, so desperately trying to avoid both) and also to encourage my body to go into labour spontaneously (I was induced with DS).

Just wanted to get other people's experiences on acupuncture in late pregnancy. Did you feel it helped you? Did it make no difference at all? I don't know anyone IRL who has had it for this reason and am keen to get as much anecdotal information as I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Moxy
    I had acupuncture for both my children. For my first I had three sessions in the last three weeks of the preg. I had the last session on the Friday and went into labour the next day, which was three days early from my due date.
    Second child I just had one session at 39 weeks and went into labour that night!! So yes it really worked for me! I think I was also drinking raspberry leaf tea to help things along. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had acupuncture when pregnant with DS to try to get him to engage - from around 38 weeks. I only ended up having two sessions before I was induced. He never engaged, but I really needed a few more sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it from 35wks with dd3 because my OB was wanting to induce me bc of medication I was taking so wanted to be ready for that date, then I managed to get then to extend the date and didn't end up getting induced. It didn't 'work' as in get the baby out right that minute but I def helped get her down and for my cervix to soften etc. do be warned if you have low BP I found when they used electrodes that I nearly fainted and felt quite sick, may have been a personal experience but!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had acupuncture from about 35 weeeks with my DD. Her brother was induced at 11 days over and due to circumstances I really needed her to arrive in a more timely fashion. The sessions were weekly and were initially just the ripening points to help encourage optimal birth positioning/conditions. I was skeptical but willing to try anything and definitely felt something as soon as the needles started going in - baby was moving like crazy and lots of braxton hicks.

From 38 weeks the practitioner started adding in the 'induction' points but did stress they would only work if baby was essentially ready to arrive anyway. Never made my last appointment because DD arrived spontaneously on her due date. Who knows if the acupuncture helped but certainly didn't hurt! Was also having raspberry leaf tea from about 35 weeks.

Number 3 is due in 6 weeks. Haven't done acupunture yet this pregnancy as this time it's not so much of an issue if he/she goes overdue but will definitely try it again if bub seems stubborn or isn't in an optimal position.