+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default babies routine coping with going back to work

Just wondering what is everyones evening routines when getting home from work. I go back in 3 weeks at currently have a happy baby who sleeps 12 hrs and dont want to ruin that. But her night routine currently starts at 5:30 and we wont get home till 6. So do i just push it all back 30 minutes or rush it and still put her to bed at 7pm. What does everyone else do.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How old is she and what's the current routine? I'd be inclined to try to get her down as early as possible, day care knackers them out much more than you think, and she may not nap there as well as she does at home which will add to her tiredness.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So does the bedtime routine start at 5:30 and she is in bed at 7pm. That sounds like a long bedtime routine. If you're going to be home by 6pm, I would think you could still have her in bed by 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    she is 6 months and this is her current routine.
    7am wake and bottle
    8am solids
    between 8:30 and 9 back to bed
    11am wake and bottle
    12 solids
    between 12:45-1pm back to bed
    3pm wake and bottle
    4:30 back to sleep
    wakes at 5:20 solids
    5:30 bath
    between 6 and6:30 bed time bottle
    6:50 book and nappy chnage
    7pm sleep, stays asleep until 7am.

When i go back to work she will be getting up and hour earlier as well. Its a bit confusing cause i dont want to stuff it up to much for the both of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great routine! In my experience, when I went back to work, sometimes, when my DS1 and DS2 came home from daycare when they were little, they practically went straight to bed after a bottle. I would stick to your routine as much as you can, but shorten it a little so she can be in bed by 6.30pm so she can get her 12 hours, or near to it. There isn't much time with them after work but so be it, if she's an excellent sleeper and in a good routine (which she is by the sounds of it), I would definitely stick to it. Good luck with your return to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, i really dont wanna ruin what we have going on as i dont think i will cope going back to work with a baby who has suddendly decided not to sleep after doing so well for so long

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kristyandmick,

Great routine!! Sounds alot like my bub at that age. I was lucky enough to have my mum look after her for a while when I first returned to work and our routine was pretty unscathed... My mum used to feed her her dinner at 5-530 just before I would pick her up then we'd drive home, have a bath, bottle/boobie feed and bed by 7.

I guess my suggestion would be (depending on the time you pick her up from kindy) is it possible for daycare to feed her the solids late in the arvo?

If not an option, i'd just see how you go and try to do it when you get home, perhaps cut the bath time down a fraction to allow it all to fit in when you get home.

Good luck with your return to work, it's hectic to start off with, but in my experience, far easier than first expected. I just recently put my dd in daycare and was expecting a huge upset after her being looked after by my mum, but she took to it like a champ. Fingers crossed for you that you little one adjusts well. (and you too )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kirstyandmick View Post
    she is 6 months and this is her current routine.
    7am wake and bottle
    8am solids
    between 8:30 and 9 back to bed
    11am wake and bottle
    12 solids
    between 12:45-1pm back to bed
    3pm wake and bottle
    4:30 back to sleep
    wakes at 5:20 solids
    5:30 bath
    between 6 and6:30 bed time bottle
    6:50 book and nappy chnage
    7pm sleep, stays asleep until 7am.

When i go back to work she will be getting up and hour earlier as well. Its a bit confusing cause i dont want to stuff it up to much for the both of us.
    Awesome routine!! I am heading back to work next week.. Just wondering how you got into this routine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My LO is 9mths old now, been in daycare two days a week since 6mths.

I get home around 6pm also. Almost as soon as we are in the door, I get her into her chair for her dinner. Then its a quick wash (bath if we have time and she is not too tired, but otherwise just a sponge bath), PJs, BF and bed. She is usually exhausted so she is asleep by 6.45pm on daycare nights (normal bedtime is 7pm).

She still wakes up during the night for a feed, but this has happens anyway, even on nights when she hasn't been in daycare.

I think you will be fine, if she has been in such a good routine for a while she will most likely stick to it.

But MAKE SURE you write down your existing daytime routine for daycare and MAKE SURE they stick to it!

If they give her a late snack, skip a nap, give her a late nap, etc, it can throw out your whole night. My DD has fallen asleep in the car on the way home a few times because they skipped a nap, then she is wide awake right at the time she should be going to bed!
    Last edited by TwinkleFi; 29-06-2012 at 11:35.