+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked
    66
    Reviews
    0

    Default Green poop

    For about the last week, my breastfed 1 month old's poos have been varying shades of green. They are still the same consistency as always, just green. Sometimes they are fluro and look like paint, sometimes really dark but almost always green!

    I have read that it can be due to a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but I'm inclined to think that's not the case because I always let him finish one side before switching to the other.

    At first I thought it might have been from my vitamins, as I switched brands shortly before it started. But I switched back after a couple of days and no change.

    He doesn't really seem to have any other issues, feeds well and is putting on lots of weight, he hardly cries (just sometimes when he is pooping or farting lol).

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    My DS poos were green all the time too until starting solids, I'm pretty sure green, yellow, mustard colour are all normal for BF bubs.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Qbaby For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (23-05-2012)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,414
    Thanks
    843
    Thanked
    373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DDs poos were green too up until she was 4 months old. After lots of research thinking something wasn't right I found that's it's common and normal of bubs weight etc is good and they're happy.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (23-05-2012)

  6. #4
    Gothel's Avatar
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stressame Street
    Posts
    6,515
    Thanks
    2,368
    Thanked
    2,113
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 had green poop and went on to have a dairy allergy. I was later told green poop was a sign of a dairy allergy tho she had other signs too, lots of wind and frothy bubbly liquidy poos (sorry if thats tmi )

    If colour is the only problem and your baby is otherwise happy and comfortable, i wouldn't worry too much

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (24-05-2012)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked
    88
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miss87 View Post
    For about the last week, my breastfed 1 month old's poos have been varying shades of green. They are still the same consistency as always, just green. Sometimes they are fluro and look like paint, sometimes really dark but almost always green!

    I have read that it can be due to a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but I'm inclined to think that's not the case because I always let him finish one side before switching to the other.

    At first I thought it might have been from my vitamins, as I switched brands shortly before it started. But I switched back after a couple of days and no change.

    He doesn't really seem to have any other issues, feeds well and is putting on lots of weight, he hardly cries (just sometimes when he is pooping or farting lol).

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I have no advice but was wondering the same thing about my 9wo.. She feeds well and is putting on weight.

    I too don't believe it is a foremilk/hindmilk issue so i'm glad to see the PP answers :-)

    My DD has had green poo for prob he last 2-3 weeks but doesn't seem to be affected in any other way!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to JNC_B2012 For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (24-05-2012)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Thanks
    5,195
    Thanked
    3,896
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    green and frothy with baby upset and in pain is a prob as can indicate lactose intolerance.

    plain ole green poo is ok... DD had green poo on and off till solids started at 6mths

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (24-05-2012)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked
    66
    Reviews
    0
    Oh I should have mentioned - I am vegan so don't eat dairy so that won't be it. He seems ok in other ways so I guess its probably nothing

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    561
    Thanks
    686
    Thanked
    197
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miss87 View Post
    Oh I should have mentioned - I am vegan so don't eat dairy so that won't be it. He seems ok in other ways so I guess its probably nothing

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Do u eat a lot of green leafy veg? I know when I was BF if i ate a lot of for example spinach, bub would poo green

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (24-05-2012)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked
    104
    Reviews
    0
    IMO I still think you have an oversupply. Most small babies only need one side per feed, so if you are switching at all it can cause an imbalance.I am a counsellor with the ABA and this really is a very common problem...but very easily fixed. It may be worth trying block feeding to see if it fixes the problem before looking at other possible issues. I hope you're able to sort it out!
    Last edited by Mysurprisebaby; 23-05-2012 at 20:07.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mysurprisebaby For This Useful Post:

    Alphabetsoup  (24-05-2012),JNC_B2012  (24-05-2012)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked
    66
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    Do u eat a lot of green leafy veg? I know when I was BF if i ate a lot of for example spinach, bub would poo green
    Hmm I do eat leafies but not an excessive amount (I think lol).

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysurprisebaby View Post
    IMO I still think you have an oversupply. Most small babies only need one side per feed, so if you are switching at all it can cause an imbalance.I am a counsellor with the ABA and this really is a very common problem...but very easily fixed. It may be worth trying block feeding to see if it fixes the problem before looking at other possible issues. I hope you're able to sort it out!
    Ok so do I just not switch sides? I have tried feeding on one side but he is often hungry 5-10mins after finishing. When I put him back on the same side he gets really frustrated and pulls my nipple, etc. But if I put him on the other side he is happy.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub


 

Similar Threads

  1. Oh poop....
    By SpecialPatrolGroup in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:37
  2. 1yr old poop question..sorry :)
    By preggybelly in forum Toddlers (1 year olds)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-06-2012, 13:42
  3. If you were a bird, who would you poop on?
    By HanaMae in forum General Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 23-04-2012, 11:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Baby Monitors
Looking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby Nursery Shop
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!