+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any hubbers studying or working in Human Resources?

I'm looking to get into Human Resources and was just wondering what the best course was, entry requirements, fees etc. I've studied business studies at A-level which had HR units (UK qualification similar to a cert 4 I think) and I've got a BA honours degree in hospitality management also with HR units(from the UK also).

Ideally I'd like to study through distance education as I'm a SAHM with another one due in Sept.

So if anyone here is studying HR, I would love to hear some feedback on the specific course you are doing etc.

And also if anyone here is working in HR, I would love to hear more about your job and the specific day to day responsibilities you have, hours etc.

Thanks in advance!

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have finished my degree in Human Resources. It's technically a Bachelor of Business (human resources). I did it through Southern Cross University by distance education (I'm in Brisbane). What else would you like to know?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Made in England  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last job was as a human resource officer. My duties included recruitment, inductions, policies, procedures, performance management, employee surveys, general employee questions, union meetings etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've started Certificate IV in Human Resources this year through OTEN.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work as an HR Generalist at a global financial services firm.

I have a business studies degree from the UK but nobody would give me an interview until after I had finished my one year post-grad in HR from Swinburne (online). Doesn't make sense to me as I don't think a one year TAFE course taught me anything better than my four years Masters degree but whatever! I got my foot in the door with a contract role and have worked my way upwards. Am just about to start mat leave though!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I've started Certificate IV in Human Resources this year through OTEN.
    This is one of the courses I'm quite interested in. Are you enjoying the study?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I work as an HR Generalist at a global financial services firm.

I have a business studies degree from the UK but nobody would give me an interview until after I had finished my one year post-grad in HR from Swinburne (online). Doesn't make sense to me as I don't think a one year TAFE course taught me anything better than my four years Masters degree but whatever! I got my foot in the door with a contract role and have worked my way upwards. Am just about to start mat leave though!!
    Gosh, you'd think a Masters degree would at least get you an interview!

I also wonder how I'm going to get my foot in the door as I've no experience working in a HR environment. I've only ever worked in the hospitality industry, with a few years at management level (had a tiny bit of HR responsibility), but I've not worked at all in 3 years. I'm a bit nervous actually about changing my career path, as I'm not a spring chicken anymore (33 this year) haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Best of luck with it! Look at all opportunities. My only advice would be that recruitment (as in agencies) is not HR - its sales

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Best of luck with it! Look at all opportunities. My only advice would be that recruitment (as in agencies) is not HR - its sales
    Thanks kw123 . I've got an appointment with the student services advisor at my local TAFE on Tues. We'll see how we go...