+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 9 month old breastfeeding ALL night!

Hi!
    I had a particularily bad night last night with my 9 mo and looking for some advice.
    We have started co-sleeping as she was waking frequently at night, I think probably teething, and that was going ok, but from time to time, and last night included she seems to be attached to one or the other of my breasts the entire night. I know it is more of a comfort thing than a hungry thing, but when I try to gently unattach her even if it appears she is in a deep sleep, she screams blue murder!
    It is driving me insane. I end up leaving her attached most of the night, so at least DS and DH can get some sleep, and I can sleep some of the time, but my nipples get really sore from the constant sucking.
    We did try to night wean a couple of months ago (by having her sleep with DH while I slept in another room), which worked for a while, but then 1 overnight feed turned into 2 turned into 3, turned into an all night co-sleeping, feeding frenzy.
    She is particularily grumpy today, so I suspect it is teething troubles, but is there anything I can do except try to completely night wean again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd suggest she is trying to up your supply

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummato4 For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (23-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She is probably just using you as a dummy lol and you are taking her dummy away so of course she gets mad. My darling 11 month old is extremely attached to my breasts and while many of my friends breastfed babies are beginning to sleep longer stretches at night.. dd has been totally impossible.. even more so when sleeping in my bed. I find when someone else pats her to sleep she sleeps much longer stretches and she doesn't sleep in the bed anymore which has helped. Actually she gets into bed around 4 am and remains firmly attached but for most of the night I no longer do the all night nursing as I was incredibly tired.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    the 'no cry sleep solution' has some ideas to reduce the all night sucking.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be working on getting her to sleep without suckling. What I did with DS was take him off when he was really sleepy and rock him to sleep - yep sometimes he wasn't happy about it but my needs were important too. Eventually I phased out the feeding and just rocked. Now for his nap I just cuddle him in a chair. But he is still fed to sleep before bed at night - I night weaned him gradually starting from 8 months and it was probably 12 months before he stopped night feeding altogether - until last week on holiday when he took it back up (but that's another story).

Good luck xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elizabeth pantley has a great method to stop the all night sucking as PP mentioned. we used it when DD was 8/9mths old and up 2-6 times a night. finally got her to only wake up twice at 9mths and then we nightweaned at 14mths.

babies aged 6-12mths have shocking sleep patterns... Its easier to go with it than fight it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    I forgot to mention that she falls to sleep on her own in her own cot at the beginning of the night (with usually zero crying, she is quite happy to go to bed) and usually sleeps a 3-4 hour stretch, then I feed her once where I just can't keep her awake, but she usually goes back into her cot awake and happy, but then wakes up maybe an hour or 2 later, and then I bring her to my bed and it is all on.
    Her day sleeps she goes to sleep on her own, but is a bit of a catnapper.
    I think she is using me as a dummy, as she had a dummy until she was about 6 months old which she loved, but me, in my infinate wisdom, decided that I needed to get rid of it to help her sleep, and now she doesn't know what to do with it.
    Mummato4- I was wondering about the supply thing. I have never had supply problems, oversupply if anything, and I fed my DS until he was 17 months, BUT I must say lately my b00bs haven't been leaking like they normally do.

ETA- I have read about Elizabeth Pantley's method when DS was a baby, will have to google it again and have a look- Thanks!
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 23-05-2012 at 19:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is she getting plenty of solids? Apparently that is a big reason babies wake after 6mo. Can you try rocking her or patting her back to sleep for half hour first? I used to send DH in for half an hour before I came in with my boobs. This helped an awful lot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is not going all that well with solids. Was going realy well, then got a bout of gastro and teething and wouldn't let me feed her anything. Slowly getting back on track, but this probably is a good part of the problem.
    I think I need to get DH on board, she's not really into either rocking or patting, although I have settled her a couple of times with patting, but if it is me, she just gets really frustrated that I'm not feeding her, so will have to try sending DH in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They do get mad at first when you don't instantly feed them.. but it only took my daughter a few nights to get used to daddy putting her to sleep. Also if she is worse when she comes into bed its probably because she smells your milk. My daughter is just the same.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub